View Full Version : New here - general question about meds

elliejan
05-10-10, 08:04 AM
I am new here. I am a 34 year old stay at home mom with 3 kids under 6. I have struggled with depression for years which we thought was ppd and one doc thought maybe bipolar. B/c of pregnany and or nursing babies I have only ever taken Zoloft and that stopped about 2 years ago. Since then I have been on nothing. Roughly 3 weeks ago I was dx ADHD and my DH and I are shocked at how this dx fits. I have been taking 30mg of Vyvanse for 6 days. I go back tomorrow for a check on how it's working. FWIW, I really like my psychiatrist and he is very knowledgeable on ADD/ADHD. He not only deals with my meds but counsels his patients weekly on behavior modification. Anyhow, my questions are...

1) How long did it take for you to find something that worked long term?
2) Once you found it, how long did it work until you had to switch?

I understand that it may take some time to find something that works well. I just want to prepare myself mentally. In my mind I will spend time finding something that works and then once I find it life will go on. Am I way off in that hope?

Thanks so much!

Marcia

Larkinater
05-10-10, 11:32 AM
1) How long did it take for you to find something that worked long term?
2) Once you found it, how long did it work until you had to switch?

I'm new here too! I was diagnosed ADD about 3 years ago. My psychiatrist prescribed me Adderall XR 20mg. I was on it for 3 years until i switched to Vyvanse last week.

I switched because the Adderall was giving me anxiety. I love the Vyvanse so far. I feel less irritable once the medication is out of my system. The only issue i have with Vyvanse 70mg is that it makes me feet really really cold.

hope that helps

LoveSoCal06
05-11-10, 12:05 AM
5month now and counting, im on adderall IR because the xr was way too up and down for me so im going to try switching to ritalin......it can get frustrating playing around with the meds and especially like you and me having kids makes it hard also because when your trying dosages and diff meds you have your side effects and with kids as you know they dont really take a break because you feel off that day lol so its hard its frustrating but if you hang in there im sure you will find something and feel so much better...thats what im looking forward to!