View Full Version : Anorexia and ADD symptoms

Princess Moon
05-10-10, 11:10 PM
I have some type of anorexia. I know I am skinny, I starve myself all day, I only eat low calorie foods like fruits and vegetables, I do a lot of exercise and treadmill every day. I know I am skinny and don't have some type of denial or severe case, I am able to go about things normally and act totally normal, especially when I'm going out at night, but do have some health problems like not getting my period, shallow heart beat, shaking, vision problems, tiredness in the day. Anyway, since my anorexia type issue and starving myself all day, I space out a lot more and my cognitive thinking seems very slow and spacey except at certain times of the day. I also have ADD along with it. How do you tell what is from ADD and learning disabilities and what is from anorexia? My brain just feels retarded sometimes, but other times totally normal. At night I feel normal, but in the morning and afternoon spacey, dizzy, cold. Is it from anorexia and starving myself and not getting my period or just the ADD? Or something else? I also feel cold a lot, but I believe I have some sensory processing issues which could also make you sensitive to cold. Anorexia type eating disorders and starvation and ADD, learning disabilities and sensory processing disorders have similar symptoms, how do you tell the difference? All the symptoms are so similar. Starving myself has made the mental slowness really bad, so spacey. Anyone notice themselves more spacey with anorexia and ADD/learning disabilities/sensory processing problems? Does starvation make these symptoms worse or create new symptoms? Does anorexia or daytime starvation cause the same symptoms in anyone, or is it worse for someone with learning disabilities, ADD, sensory processing problems or other stuff?

Arwen
05-25-10, 02:53 AM
Anorexia without a doubt, DEFINITELY affects your brain. When your body is starved the amount of blood and nutrients to your brain is reduced, affecting your ability to think. Your body is essentially “rationing” its nutrient supply to the most vital organs (heart, lungs etc). You can’t think straight, you become irrational, obsessive, lose focus… etc. It’s not a fun way to live. I get the whole reason behind an eating disorder (control, something to focus on, trauma, stuff like that) but is it worth it?
The obvious ‘anorexic’ symptoms would be the dizzy & cold but symptoms that can be shared by eating disorders and ADD are irritability, loss of focus, spacey, anxiety, depression… <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
If you had ADD before you were ‘anorexic’ then the anorexia is exacerbating the ADD. Even if you didn’t have ADD, you would still be experiencing those “spacey, dizzy, cold” symptoms. They are one of the many anorexia symptoms. <o:p></o:p>
If you would like an improvement in your “mental capabilities” then I would say get treatment for your eating problem. You’ve taken the first step to admit that you’ve got an eating issue, which is great but it’s not going to go away itself. I speak from experience.
Best of luck. Contact me on PM if you would like to chat :)

Jarl
05-25-10, 11:33 AM
Well, you probably know that people could react as 'Why are you doing that?!' or 'Stop it, it is unhealthy!', but that is not the point now.

When the body has burned all its glucose, it starts with fat burning. When eventually all that is gone either, the body will start burning proteins, all in order to desperately attempt to keep the vital organs alive.
Though I am no expert, I would say it could cause serious and probably permanent brain damage when this goes on too long (and the person itself hasn't died yet or even succeeds to start eating regularly again). I don't mean to scare you and above all I have no idea how 'bad' you health is, though not having you period says quite a thing to me... Please just consider, you are already having ADD and brain damage on top of that, does not sound preferable to me.
Good luck with all.

Princess Moon
06-09-10, 11:06 PM
My medical doctor is implying that I have to seek treatment now and is going to make a house call to make sure I've gotten treatment for anorexia. That kind of scares me. I don't even know if that's allowed. My doctor said it wasn't optional. This is really freaking me out.

Arwen
06-12-10, 06:38 AM
*HUGS*

If s/he has reason to believe you are at health risk then s/he will do what is necessary. It shows that your doctor cares about you.

How did the visit go?

Princess Moon
07-09-10, 08:17 PM
I went to a bunch of doctors, they can be really annoying how they act like seeking treatment will be some miracle cure, the gynocologist was annoying and mentioned inpatient treatment and asked things like 'were you hospitalized?' Some of the doctors can get annoying and not really understand the whole picture. I was diagnosed with anorexia but I have so many other conditions in the background like ADD and the medical doctors don't really take that stuff into account. I also function much better now with anorexia than I had before.