View Full Version : Highly sensitive persons and positive/ negative ions.

Kunga Dorji
05-11-10, 10:00 AM
An interesting website I have found recently.
http://www.hsperson.com/index.html

I am having a series of discussions with an ADHD psychologist friend of mine- and we both more or less agree that this type of person is especially vulnerable to ADHD, and mood and anxiety regulation problems.

I would never have thought of myself as fitting this category prior to the treatment of my ADHD. Removing that veil has had some interesting results.

I recognise now so many common features- hating tags in my clothes, wrinkled sheets, noise or light when I am trying to sleep, rowdy shopping centres ( but not loud rock music), aggression of any kind.

Most interestingly I am beginning to suspect a sensitivity to positive atmospheric ions- especially before a storm or cool change. I have finally seen for d=sure that it is not the wind, or the humidity or the temperature- they have all been controlled for.

That surprises me- I thought that was all a myth. I cant think of another explanation at the moment. Has anyone had the same experience?

Sit-n-Spin
05-11-10, 10:10 AM
Barometric pressure? The change in it makes a difference to me, often giving me migraines.

Kunga Dorji
05-14-10, 03:05 AM
Barometric pressure? The change in it makes a difference to me, often giving me migraines.

I thought of that- but in Southern Australia we often have long spells where a change is looming, but being blocked by a large high pressure system. In these conditions the change is frustrated and the pressure drop goes on hold- but the unpleasantness persists.

Either way- it is still an interesting thought- and somewhat off the wall from the point of view of conventional medicine.

mrs. dobbs
05-15-10, 11:17 AM
Haha I can't stand rowdy shopping centers.

I'm an HSP, too. Hm. So is the issue how can we measure or keep track of positive ions caused by weather systems?

Myth or not, I do notice now that I feel better around salt lamps... not sure about negative ion generators. My sister has a couple of salt lamps in her office. I went to an Indian restaurant in Long Beach that had at least ten salt lamps in a shelf on the wall above our table. The memory is very pleasant. And growing up, the lady across the street had negative ion generators in her house.

sarek
05-15-10, 12:03 PM
Actually it is the phenomenon of HSP that got me on the track to adult AD/HD in the first place. and for a short while I even thought they were the same.

I am quite sensitive to the weather which tends to affect my mood considerably. What I have not been able to determine is whether its the light or the ions that produce the actual effect.

stef
05-15-10, 12:41 PM
OMG - 14 or more - and I scored 21!

ADDequate
10-07-10, 05:09 AM
crikey I scored 21.... :s

Kunga Dorji
10-09-10, 06:18 AM
Score 25- and I was unsure about answering one of the remaining two negatively.
An interesting choice of questions.

stef
10-09-10, 06:25 AM
would this have anything to do with feeling absolutely horrible in this certain weather: warmish, very cloudy, humid, not raining, but could rain later in the day? AUUGHHHH. It's not the same feeling as a cool, cloudy day even though the light is about the same.

salleh
10-09-10, 11:06 AM
I remember that I used to have that book she wrote, and I thought....jeesh, isn't everyone like this ??? ( I scored a 25 )

and weather affects me, just never really paid attention to ions.....I do know that I couldn't live in Portland, rains way too much .......and right now I love going to Michigan for the winter, but I am not sure that I could stand to live there and not have the choice......the part of Michigan I visit ( extreme southwest ) has very very little sun in the winter, and that would get to me if I were forced to live there.....

Kunga Dorji
10-09-10, 05:45 PM
would this have anything to do with feeling absolutely horrible in this certain weather: warmish, very cloudy, humid, not raining, but could rain later in the day? AUUGHHHH. It's not the same feeling as a cool, cloudy day even though the light is about the same.

There is a second mechanism here: posture.
I have become very aware of this since my subluxed atlas ( first vertebra in the neck) was fixed.

Certain weather makes me droop or slouch or hunch up against the cold. When I do that - my head comes forward and I compress both my vagus nerve and my internal jugular vein against the front of my cervical spine. Before long that makes me nauseous and mentally foggy. It also aggrevates the arthritis I have been left with ( 47 years of bad posture will do that to you).It also irritates my upper cervical sympathetic ganglion and turns on my fight or flight response.
( The mindfulness training has made me so aware of my internal state that I am very clear that this is exactly what happens here.)

It occurs to me that this mechanism would be a significant component of Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I might post this separately.