View Full Version : Temple Grandin movie

danelady
05-12-10, 10:18 AM
I don't know anything about autism...but Temple Grandin is my hero. Its her deep connection to animals that has me in such awe of her. I keep her book 'Animals in Translation' in the truck and I'm always pulling it out and reading it like it's the bible.

So anyway,every time I'm stuck in a hotel,like these past 2 days,I hope to catch the HBO movie made about her. Haven't had any luck,yet.

Has anyone here seen it? Did they do her justice?
Thanks.

firstdesserts
05-12-10, 12:20 PM
http://www.hbo.com/movies/temple-grandin/index.html

Try this site. Prof Grandin is my hero too. I'm not autistic either. She lives and works a couple hours drive away but I've not been able to visit yet. Have you searched for videos online? There are several. And she has her own site too.

firstdesserts
05-12-10, 12:36 PM
I guess the first airing was in February. Rats! I really would like to see it too. I don't have cable TV but my next door neibhor does... Our public library has items like that and there is probably a college or university that will have it especially since she lives in the state -- maybe a library in Utah has it as well if purchasing it is a problem.

danelady
05-12-10, 01:21 PM
Hey thanks! I tried the link...is it actually the movie? It tried to download but after a while it just quit on me. I have her websight on my favorites. I heard she was on Oprah once,I could probably get a copy of that show as well. I listened to an interview with her on NPR and I was mesmerized.

You said you haven't been able to visit yet..does that mean she allows people to come over? Very cool.
Thanks again.

firstdesserts
05-12-10, 01:32 PM
She does book tours and such here in Colorado--not far from Utah--but I've been too caught up in my own disability to keep up with her schedule lately. There are videos of her at the UC Davis M.I.N.D. website. That is where I found her first. The local library has all her books.

P.S. She'll be in Denver in July.

danelady
05-12-10, 01:40 PM
Thanks so much. I don't live here in Salt Lake. My truck is broke down for several days so me n the monster are stuck in a hotel. I just came through CO. Hope you aren't getting any of the snow that shut I-80 down in Wyoming.

I'm definitely checking out her videos at UC Davis!

Thanks,again.

firstdesserts
05-12-10, 01:44 PM
Sorry, just noticed the "Today" after "Location." "Temple Grandin Speaks On..." is another item available. It is a 4 videocassette package.

A little wet and really cold last night, but quite breazy and sunny now. Happy driving! And be safe!

danelady
06-25-10, 10:48 AM
O my gosh o my gosh!!! I'm in room and her movie is starting RIGHT NOW!!!! She is my HERO!!

meridian
06-25-10, 12:04 PM
I got to see the first few minutes of the HBO film on YouTube before it got yanked off by HBO.

HBO recently put the entire "For Neda" film about the woman killed in the streets of Iran last year on YouTube. WHich I think is a great idea for certain of their films.

DL, how did you like the HBO Temple Grandin film?

danelady
06-25-10, 12:53 PM
It just finished. It gave me such chills watching it. Some parts also made me a little angry,like how poorly she was treated at school because she was different. The discrimination she dealt with because she was a woman was so infuriating. Of course,we remember what that was like being as old as we are.:)

She is just such an amazing human being with a great mom who didn't listen when she was told Temple should be institutionalized.
For most of the movie I had tears welling in my eyes. I think HBO did a great job...a movie without any cleavage or sex in it. AMAZING!

If HBO sells copies of it I definitely want one. It would be a great movie for me to watch when I'm feeling like giving up!

Doors! Life is a series of doors! When she became frightened at uncertainty or when changes were about to occur she pictured herself walking through doors. Awesome. Wish I had her strength.

One other fantastic thing about the movie....

There was a harlequin great dane,with floppy ears!!!!

meridian
06-25-10, 12:56 PM
Doors! Life is a series of doors! When she became frightened at uncertainty or when changes were about to occur she pictured herself walking through doors. Awesome. Wish I had her strength.

I bet she would tell you that you are stronger than she is.

I love this metaphorical image of walking through doors.:)

binta171
06-25-10, 12:59 PM
I thought the movie was awesome too! I first heard about her on this radio program and have been in awe ever since: http://www.murraystreet.com/templegrandin/ It is great to see somebody who is able to overcome hardship and use her unique brain to her advantage! definitely an amazing role model.

danelady
06-25-10, 01:10 PM
I thought the movie was awesome too! I first heard about her on this radio program and have been in awe ever since: http://www.murraystreet.com/templegrandin/ It is great to see somebody who is able to overcome hardship and use her unique brain to her advantage! definitely an amazing role model.

YES!! The first time I heard of her I was driving through some no man's land and listening to an interview on NPR. The voice that came across the radio mesmerized me and I kept listening. That's how I learned about her and the cows. Then some other dog people I know recommended reading her books as well,which can be appreciated by anyone who loves animals.