View Full Version : Does anyone take Supplements to help with mood?

teaal4
05-12-10, 02:27 PM
Hello All,

I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and I am also on cymbalta for depression.. I was just curious if anyone takes any supplements to help with mood? Along with their regular meds... For example, St. John's wort or Sam-e? Or something similar?
Thanks in advance !

greenmoment
05-12-10, 02:41 PM
I tried Same-e for mood because I felt irratable. It made my symptoms worse so I had to stop taking them. I take supplements for mental clarity/focus and a multi vitamin. They are: Neurozyme (for mental clarity) Ultimate Omega (in liquid form) and Mega food's one daily multi. I find that omega helps with mood. I highly recommend the omega liquid form as it is more concentrated and absorbs quickly. I do take Lexapro for anxiety/depression and Ritalin on top of it. I hope this helps!

teaal4
05-12-10, 02:46 PM
Yes, that is most helpful! Do you buy the liquid Omega's over the counter??

greenmoment
05-12-10, 08:41 PM
Yes. It's called ultimate omega and I got it at a organic store. I believe it's cheaper online by 10 dollars. So if your gonna purchase do that lol I take half a teaspoon a day tastes kind of funny but not that bad lol

Tabbycat
05-12-10, 09:17 PM
I'm taking Sam-e, Vitamin D, & fish oil capsules. It's only been about 2 weeks on the Sam-e & fish oil, so its probably too early to tell if it will have an impact. I'm taking them, though. Hope that helps.

Pamplemousse
05-12-10, 09:25 PM
Well my mom had me on supplements to help me with ADD in general. I was taking Vitamin D, Adult Active, GABA 750mg and Omega 3.

I stopped taking the Omega 3 because I kept burping up anchovy flavor and it upset my stomach a bit. Then I just went off of everything on Sunday, except the Vitamin D, and I have been quite a grouch this week. So I guess they helped my mood some. :D

Amtram
05-12-10, 10:19 PM
If you're already taking Cymbalta, adding herbal mood enhancers can be dangerous. Before you buy anything, talk to your doctor. Pretty much the same thing applies to any other prescription - don't take an herb that's supposed to do the same thing as your medication without checking with your doctor.

Regardless of what your prescriptions are supposed to do, it's always a good idea to talk to your doctor about interactions with food, other medications, and herbs or supplements. You don't want to find out that there's a dangerous interaction the hard way.

greenmoment
05-12-10, 11:39 PM
Really? How can a natural herb harm you? just curious.

Amtram
05-13-10, 08:13 AM
Because it interacts with the medication. Just like natural grapefruit juice can kill you if you drink it right after your blood pressure medication, or natural cutting yourself while shaving can send you to the emergency room if you're taking Plavix.

Imnapl
05-13-10, 08:55 AM
Really? How can a natural herb harm you? just curious.Anything that has a therapeutic benefit can also harm you. Many modern medicines have evolved from substances found in nature. The last time I had surgery, I was to stop all herbals and supplements two weeks before the surgery. I was told to take my Wellbutrin and Ritalin the morning of the surgery. It's all medication - has an effect on our bodies, whether man made or natural.

oneup
07-04-10, 05:57 PM
St Johns wort has a naturally occurring SSRI chemical, this is one reason why its dangerous to combine w/ antidepressants--it can cause serotonin syndrome --> brain damage

nomannomad
12-17-10, 09:33 AM
I'd echo the warnings about St. John's Wort (SJW), especially if you are otherwise medicated for ADHD. I had an on-and-off SJW habit for years, but once I was Adderall I am sure it was a negative.

That being said, I do take b-vitamins, magnesium, and zinc before bed to help with sleep. I also take omega-3 rich fish oil, but I do buy the lemon flavored version!

Lunacie
12-17-10, 10:47 AM
I've been taking Omega 3 capsules for about 8 years, have read where others find it helpful for mood swings but it doesn't seem to make much difference for me. I also take a calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement, a Vitamin B12 (or B complex).

This fall I realized my SAD (seasonal affective disorder) was the worst it's been in several years, so I bought some Vitamin D3. Four or six weeks later it hadn't really helped, so I bumped up the dosage and have been able to see a clear difference with the depression. I'm very glad I didn't just give up on it, apparently my vitamin d level was so low that it takes more than the recommended amount to make a difference.