View Full Version : Whats wrong with me?

MentalStability
05-12-10, 09:01 PM
I'm not an adult, but I'm wondering about myself. I'm a 14 year old boy. My whole life, I've struggled with school or anything that does with learning. I have terrible concentration, i always lose focus easily, which when it comes to taking tests and i fail, it makes me sad. I've also always been hyperactive, fidget a lot, and lots of impulsiveness. I struggle very hard with social skills too. ): I've never been able to not get like 2 C's on a report card. I'm not sure what I'm typing even makes sense since when i try to talk to people, my words come out differently than when I'm thinking. I also say stuff without thinking about 100% of the time. Sometimes in class I also might make a distracting noise but really, I swear on my life, I did not mean to say it. I don't know why that happens, and then the teacher will yell at me for making the noise, and I even tell them I didn't mean to and they never ****ing believe me. Same with my grades, no one ****ing believes I'm trying, and it makes me ****ed off and really depressed.. I don't know what to do. I have not been diagnosed with anything, I don't know if it's ADHD, or what. I have taken those online ADHD tests and I always score way above the minimum score to get checked out, but I do know those tests are bogus and don't really mean anything. But I just feel I need help from people right now. My life seems to be heading in the wrong direction. ):

meridian
05-12-10, 09:27 PM
I have taken those online ADHD tests and I always score way above the minimum score to get checked out, but I do know those tests are bogus and don't really mean anything.

Welcome to the Forums!

Here are some self assessment tests for you to review.

http://www.maaddsg.org/addadhdselfassesment.html

They are not bogus and are often used in diagnosing AD/HD. They are quite legit. Some have been developed by the World Health Organization, recognized experts in the field, and top universities.

If you find that AD/HD seems to fit from taking these self screening tests, talk to your parents, show them the results and ask to see a doctor about it.

If you do have AD/HD (it sounds probable from what you've described) leaving it untreated is not a good idea.

Wishing you the best. :)

MentalStability
05-12-10, 09:38 PM
I have been 90% sure for over a year that ive had adhd. Im just a shy kid so im scared on how to bring this up to my parents and if theyll even believe me.

JenE
05-13-10, 09:15 AM
Definitely talk to your parents. That is the first and most important step. They love you and want to help you be all you can be. Just tell them what you wrote here or even just let them read it if it's hard for you to verbalize. They want the best for you and they will listen to you.

Keep us posted on how things go!

OnlyMe
05-13-10, 10:05 AM
Talking to your parents is the first step. I'd suggest getting a book about ADHD from the library so that you can show them how you fit the symptoms and so you don't have to remember all the details on your own. Facts can fly out of my head when I'm feeling emotional :). It's great that you're doing this research and figuring out what you need to be successful, that will stand you in good stead all your life.

meridian
05-13-10, 06:08 PM
Yes, definitely do a little reading up.

Print out and take the self-assessment tests I gave you the links to.

And when you feel like you know the subject matter, then do bring it up with your parents who really only want the best for you.

I'll bow out of the teen hangout now, since I'm a geezer. :)

mystes
05-14-10, 10:07 AM
I'm not an adult, but I'm wondering about myself. I'm a 14 year old boy. My whole life, I've struggled with school or anything that does with learning. I have terrible concentration, i always lose focus easily, which when it comes to taking tests and i fail, it makes me sad. I've also always been hyperactive, fidget a lot, and lots of impulsiveness. I struggle very hard with social skills too. ): I've never been able to not get like 2 C's on a report card. I'm not sure what I'm typing even makes sense since when i try to talk to people, my words come out differently than when I'm thinking. I also say stuff without thinking about 100% of the time. Sometimes in class I also might make a distracting noise but really, I swear on my life, I did not mean to say it. I don't know why that happens, and then the teacher will yell at me for making the noise, and I even tell them I didn't mean to and they never ****ing believe me. Same with my grades, no one ****ing believes I'm trying, and it makes me ****ed off and really depressed.. I don't know what to do. I have not been diagnosed with anything, I don't know if it's ADHD, or what. I have taken those online ADHD tests and I always score way above the minimum score to get checked out, but I do know those tests are bogus and don't really mean anything. But I just feel I need help from people right now. My life seems to be heading in the wrong direction. ):

I think you should put one person to trust and tell here. its not easy to keep it hidden all by your self.. :(

Have you been into a doctor lately?

MentalStability
05-14-10, 04:24 PM
well i have been to a doctor about grades and like medication, even though ive never been diagnosed. but it makes me upset to talk to my parents about it.