View Full Version : A User's Guide to the Brain - Dr. John Ratey

Blaana
06-27-04, 12:42 AM
I have just read "A User's Guide to the Brain" by Dr. John Ratey who is the co-author of "Driven to Distraction". And I think that it is one of the most interesting books I've ever read. I have always wanted to know how the brain works and this book goes into detail about that and makes it very interesting too.

"Shadow Syndromes" by Dr. Ratey is good too and not as complicated as the first one I mentioned, but discusses some of the same topics.

:rolleyes: Blaana

Neurocog
06-15-14, 05:06 PM
John Ratey has some nine good books and has done great early research in the field. While each chapter of Users Guide could have been a book alone, the rapid advancing body of scientific knowledge, makes the content dated in today's intellectual landscape. Many newly published works offer differing views on same subjects. Additionally, there has been new scientific domains emerge since John was actively writing that have changed the complexion today's science. Behavioral Economics is ideal example and deeply relevant to field, emerged by 2003 with Nobel prize as micro-economics, applied to personal decision-making theory.
Enjoy the flood of books by world-class minds, writing for an educated gen. pop market, never stronger than now.
Ps-I still keep my old Users Guide to the Brain, top row next to computer.:cool: