View Full Version : Need Help From Someone Who Knows Qld Mental Health System

maelsa
05-14-10, 05:56 AM
Hi,
I have a friend who has been seeing a private psychiatrist for months now, he was diagnosed not only with ADHD but also Bi Polar, anyway, he is in a financial mess, doesnt hold a Health Care Card, and needs to go through the public system, I called Mental Health Services, they gave me a few numbers to call, including some GP's but no-one wants to help or take on another Mental Health patient as one Medical Centre had told me. He has run out of Dex, I have explained this to them, but it doesnt seem to matter, his private psychiatrist wont right a script unless he pays for a consultation, eventhough I explained to him that he is in financial hardship but we dont know where to go, as apparently Dex can only be prescribed by those who are authorised I'm told. Where do we go??? Mental Health Service said unless he is really bad and needs to be cared for on a daily basis, he doesnt fit their criteria. I'm at a loss. Can someone help here with any information? I'm frustrated with the Mental Health System in Qld, it seems as though they arent overly concerned about prevention rather wait till the patient is in such a state of causing harm to himself or others is when someone in this situation would be looked after.

Alyce
09-01-10, 11:34 PM
I have to admit I am facing a similar problem :(