View Full Version : Clonidine for sleep?

kiosk
05-17-10, 07:59 PM
took 0.20mg of Clonidine...thought it was suppose help with sleep...didnt do a darn thing.....anyone else? is the dose incorrect?

kiosk
06-05-10, 07:59 PM
dam.....

EricaLeAnn
09-27-10, 12:19 PM
I take three 0.1 mg tablets of clonidine for sleep. i doesnt work for me either. i tried unisom last night and it helped me rest

Sweet_pea
12-05-10, 09:28 AM
It works a treat for me!!

I was really surprised - I didn't start taking it for that. Nice bonus.

I think it's efficacy as a sleep aid depends on WHY you're having trouble sleeping - my problem seems to be restlessness, like whole-body RLS, ha. I don't imagine it helps much if you're sleepless because of worry or anxiety.

I only take .1mg before bed. But I take daytime doses too (.05mg x 2|3).

schleppenheimer
01-01-11, 08:15 PM
My son was taking Clonidine in conjunction with Focalin -- the clonidine was supposed to help with tics. He started with 0.1 for the first few days, and was INCREDIBLY tired. Then the dosage was upped to 0.2 for the next week. He was tired, but became adapted to it and the tiredness went away.

The doctor told us that patients adjust to the "tired" feeling, so I can't imagine Clonidine being great long term for helping with sleep.

MacK
03-13-11, 02:37 PM
I never had sleep problems with Concerta or Methilin ER. But during a depression episode I could not sleep for more than two hours, constatly having nightmares and waking up screaming and throwing kicks and punches to the air. I was prescribed alprazolam, clonacepam and Ambien at maximal doses and nothing worked.

Finally I was prescribed clonidine 0.1 mg at bedtime and for the first time I slept 6 straight hours, without nightmares, feeling recovered in the morning. Im not depressed anymore, but I really can tell the difference when I forget to take the clonidine because I wake up many times during the night (now without nightmares).

bradman
03-23-11, 09:57 PM
I take Clonidine for sleep. It works fine. Clonidine is also used to lower blood pressure. I take a very high dose: three 0.3mg tabs at bedtime. I also take two 0.1MG Lorazepam (ATIVAN) for sleep. Its like being unplugged -- I wake up where I was watching TV. I sleep like a baby for about 6.5 hours.

I used to take Alprazolam (Xanax) instead of Lorazepam for sleep. Alprazolam also lowers blood pressure. I fell to the floor a few times before my doc figured out I has hypotensive (time for a new doc).

Sweet_pea
04-13-11, 07:56 AM
The doctor told us that patients adjust to the "tired" feeling, so I can't imagine Clonidine being great long term for helping with sleep.

Yeah, which is why it's not a good sleep aid for insomnia. But if you just have trouble sleeping because of physical restlessness (I thought this might be common with ADHD?) - it can keep working long-term. Not by making you tired, just by calming restlessness. (Just my experience)

Kunga Dorji
05-25-11, 08:39 AM
Yeah, which is why it's not a good sleep aid for insomnia. But if you just have trouble sleeping because of physical restlessness (I thought this might be common with ADHD?) - it can keep working long-term. Not by making you tired, just by calming restlessness. (Just my experience)

It is working wonders for my son- age 16.
I still have sleep issues, despite being otherwise fine and off meds, so I will get my GP to give me a test run.
Mind you I was born a bad sleeper.
Clonidine blocks the effect of adrenaline in the body- so that has to be helpful.

Sweet_pea
06-29-11, 09:23 AM
It is working wonders for my son- age 16.
I still have sleep issues, despite being otherwise fine and off meds, so I will get my GP to give me a test run.
Mind you I was born a bad sleeper.
Clonidine blocks the effect of adrenaline in the body- so that has to be helpful.

Hey Barliman, curious if you gave it a try and what your results were?

BlackTieDad
08-15-11, 03:33 PM
My son takes Adderall twice a day, and Clonidine at night to help him fall asleep. It works really well. He also takes Kapvay before lunch, which doesn't knock him out, but it does help him control his anger/aggression in the afternoon.

So far so good.