View Full Version : Walgreens messed up BIGTIME! Now what?

Carmine
05-22-10, 08:34 PM
I went to Walgreens last week to drop off my Dex prescription. Doc took me off of Vyvanse to put me Dex IR. This is what I wanted. I faster acting, shorter lasting drug.

When I dropped the prescription I was told I had to wait a week for the drug (because it had to be ordered) and that i had to call my insurance (Medco) to get an approval.

I called Medco, they asked me why I wanted this drug if I was already on Vyvanse. I explained to them how I hated how long Vyvanse took to kick in. And how unpredictable the time frame for Vyvanse lasting is. Therefore, I chose to go on Dex IR because it was faster acting and shorter lasting. Thus me having better control of the drug. This way it can kick in faster, last shorter....less chances of getting insomnia etc etc. The woman I was speaking to said thats exactly the reason why HER son take Dex IR. So me and this lady (from approval department at Medco) where on the same page. Good for me! So I was approved!

Now a week goes by. I get a call from Walgreens saying my Dex is ready to be picked up. I go to Walgreens at by 3:15pm, I take my first pill.

An hour goes by and I don't feel anything! And I'm at work and NEED this energy/motivator to kick in. BTW...I didn't take my Vyvanse that day because I was waiting specifically for the Dex IR all day long.

Now it's 4:30pm and I'm wondering what the hell is going on!? How come I don't feel anything! So I took another one. It's 5:30pm and I'm just barely feeling something! I'm thinking to myself..."Ok, something wrong happened with the first pill..my body didn't absorb it and this is the 2nd pill kicking in.

OMW to the gym now. It's 7:30 and I'm not really feeling the desire to get out of my car and go inside the gym to train. So I took another pill. I trained for HALF AN HOUR at the most! Decided..."I don't feel normal like I do on Vyvanse...I'm going home".

It's 11pm now and I'm beginning to feel somewhat sleepy and weak (so I thought). Get into bed and didn't sleep all night long! It's already 9am and the whole family is waking up. I'm still in bed "TRYING" to get at least a minute of sleep. It's now 11am, I gave up and got up to eat. Went back to bed at 12pm to try again to sleep. But again...no luck.

Now its 1pm and I want to spend time with my family. But I feel so "OUT OF IT" its not even funny! So I took another pill to get my mood and energy up!

It's already 4pm and I feel like total crap! Then I realize that.....

Walgreens did NOT give me the IR version but instead gave me the SR version! OMG!!!! No wonder this stuff wasn't kicking in on time. And no wonder why I didn't sleep at all! My whole Saturday went to waste!

Now what do I do? I haven't called Walgreens because their pharmacy dept. is closed. So I have to go tomorrow.

Guys..what will happen now? Walgreens is at fault! I clearly explained to my insurance (for approval purposes) that I wanted the IR version and explained to them why. At the day I dropped of the prescription at Walgreens. I told the Manager (before she placed the order) that I wanted IR version. And explained to her as well why I wanted Dex IR over the usual Vyvanse I got from them.

Here's the catch though. I have a copy of the script and only says....

Dexedrine 10mgs 4 times a day
Morning, Noon, 4pm and 8pm.

I'm going tomorrow to Walgreens. I hope they (or the pharmacy manager) don't pull a fast one on me. And try to get off the leash by saying that the script did not specify what I wanted exactly. And that this is NOT their fault. I'll get VERY upset if they say some crap like this to me.

Common sense (by a pharmacy manager that placed the order and after I explained to her why I wanted Dex over Vyvanse) should say to them NO ONE is take ANY drug that is an EXTENDED/SUSTANED release at FOUR (4) times a day! That's just plain stupid if you ask me.

FinallyAnswered
05-22-10, 08:41 PM
They can't claim that the script didn't specify which version, because if the instructions for a class 2 drug are not completely specific, they aren't supposed to fill it without contacting the doctor first.

I should like to think that they will correct the error.....just try to go in with a positive attitude and leave your frustration in your pocket unless/until you absolutely need it.

Good luck!

Carmine
05-22-10, 08:43 PM
Might as well just say..."Here's Wellbutrin XL at 150mgs and you are to take it 4 times day!"

NO!

Here's Vyvanse 60mg capsules. Take it FOUR times a day! Good luck sleeping! LOL

Carmine
05-22-10, 08:44 PM
They can't claim that the script didn't specify which version, because if the instructions for a class 2 drug are not completely specific, they aren't supposed to fill it without contacting the doctor first.

I should like to think that they will correct the error.....just try to go in with a positive attitude and leave your frustration in your pocket unless/until you absolutely need it.

Good luck!

I won't go in there acting like a jerk. I've known these women for the past 4 years. And it would seem really awkward of me going in there all angry. I'm not angry at all. I just want the problem resolved. That's it. :o

salleh
05-23-10, 12:11 AM
I used to have a problem with that too......there is a specific name for the tablets......I take the IR dex also, there is, to my best knowledge ( and I pay attention to that info ....I get it here !) anyway, there is only one drug company making that pill ......it is an orange tablet....( the sr is a capsule, not to mention a lot more expensive) and what you wanat your doctor to write on the prescription is this

DEXTROAMPHETAMINE 10MG TABLETS

and that will make sure you get what you want ......trust me I had to hassle this about 9 times.....they had to call the doctor ....yada yada yada......

I have a walgreens card, and I get 270 tabs for 107. and change ......which I think is kind of amazing, as I don't have insurance .....

good luck ......and reeallly the info I gave you on what the scrip should be for is right off my bottle .....

oh and the tablets are pink, and one side has 935/10 and the other side says "b" ( without the quotes )

Josh_kelly
05-23-10, 12:35 AM
although I hate walgreens. they always gave me hard times dispensing stimulants. I dont go there anymore.

But in your situation. I understand their point of view.

in the US

dexedrine is CR (controlled release) only. sustained release.

they used to make dexedrine brand IR in the US but discontinued.

however, the generic dexedrine they still make.

but because there is no brand dexedrine IR to make barr IR dex the generic for it.

barr dex ampthetamine IR is not generic dexedrine anymore.

its a drug on its own. (dexamphetamine is not patented anyways) unlike adderall.

thats why you have or had diffrent brand of dexamphetamine

dexedrine, dextrostat, procentra..

if the doctor writes dexedrine (then its controlled release dexamphetamine)

bottom line:

because there is no brand dexedrine IR anymore.
the barr dexamphetamine is not generic for dexedrine.
its basically. dexamphetamine

that happened to me. but I returned it. I didnt even open the bottle. it was stamped and sealed. so they took it and ordered dex IR for me

by the way. are you short he wrote IR on the prescription
because its not commonly known or written officially

they would write XR but not IR (atleast for me)

assume there is a generic for vyvanse.

vyvanse comes in extended release only. so he would not write vyvanse XR

if they so to returning call headquarters.

if it says IR or tablets then its their mistake

if says dexedrine. then they say that dexedrine comes in XR only. so its generic is XR

but of course because barr dex IR is there.
its common to if its says dexedrine "tablets". then its the barr dex-amp tablet is its generic.

legeally they are right
but its common and even pharmacies label barr tabs as generic dexedrine IR
even barr does.
but because any company can make dexamphetamine with no prior patent protection. And they can call it whatever they want. And still be generic.

procentra for example is considered generic dex-amp. although its brand quality and expensive. the company that makes it does not make generics.

dexedrine CR has a generic because they use spansules (same release tech)

hope it makes sense.

bookofmatches
05-23-10, 01:33 AM
This is why it is good for one to be familiar with the pills you are taking before you take them and do the proper research online before taking them. This is what I always do with any new medication.

Anyway though, my main issue is that it sounds like you are taking the drug not for proper ADHD control but for the energetic/speedy effect as you even clearly stated. You're not looking for proper ADHD management it seems; you're expecting to get a buzz from the meds. 10mg Spansule is better than 10mg IR in my opinion as it is much smoother and tends to last a little longer than the 10mg IR, thereby making the 'comedown' from the 10mg Spansule to be non-existent really, while a comedown is somewhat noticeable with the IRs.

Either way you shouldn't be taking these meds for a energy boost. Sounds like your experience with fat burners (probably other phenethylamine sympathomimetics such as phenylpropanolamine, ephedrine, synephrine, etc.) and your use/abuse of them with body-building has ingrained this idea of needing a speedy/energetic 'buzz' from your psychostimulants for them to be effective. This is not the point of taking Dexedrine or any other psychostimulant to treat ADHD. The speedy effect from the drug will wear off very quickly if taking it as prescribed anyway, although I do know a lot of people who take their psychostimulant meds only a few times a week so that they can continue to get that 'buzz' effect from their drugs although this is not the right way for one to use ADHD medications and constitutes abuse since you are taking it simply to get a buzz/get high, contradictory to what you have been prescribed the medication for (and rationalizing your abuse of the meds by saying "I need that stimulated effect for proper ADHD control" or blah blah blah will just hurt your mental and physical health in the long run.)

Josh_kelly
05-23-10, 03:54 AM
I have adhd and like the energizing effects of adhd med as well as the antidepressant effects of it.

I dont think its a crime to be in a better mood. better mood relives anxiety and makes a person more productive and have better control on their adhd in general.

we get scared of saying that stimulants makes us feel better cause we think that it is a sin or a crime to feel better on stimulants. Just focus. if i feel that my mood is lifted then i am a junkie and should not take stimulants again cause now i am in pleasure seeking mood which is wrong. i should be on Antidepressants.

well that's wrong in my opinion. whats focus with anxiety or depression? why do you think you feel calm on your stimulants?

Abusing a drug is taking a medication or a drug in a route other than intended. like snorting Ritalin instead of swallowing the pill. I dont think thats the case here.

a high is not achieved with adhd meds. if you take it the normal route. even maybe at high doses. you get "euphoria" high is when close the room and shoot or inject something.you go to another world. disconnected from reality. pupils dilated. you cant walk the street without peopel noticing that you are bugging or tweaking. That is a high

euphoria is the a brief period that you feel extra happy. excited because now you can attack your adhd now that you symptoms are controlled. you can work, focus, achieve, have one thought at a time.

its like buying your first brand new car with all the fixings. for the first week or two. your excited every time you open the door and that new car smell hits you. feels good. now you can enjoy driving to work with sat radio, comfy seats, gps, stereo, bluetooth.....

after two weeks, you get used to it and the smell goes away. But you still driving it and has a function. Its doing its job. So as the adhd med. and feeling a little better is not a crime. If i want to get high, down the corner and its much cheaper. with no doc, pharmacies, insurance and the hassle. one step to the drug dealer and i am done. I would think also that he would not be so judgmental and treat me like an addict....even if I am. (assuming)

balance, control, and trusting ones self, meds are there to help just like diabetic taking his medicine everyday. is he addicted? I have adhd everyday. I have better quality of life. as a matter of fact i stopped drinking without even realizing once I got diagnosed and started on medication. I wasnt a heavy drinker. but maybe a shot of vodka to be able to calm down and sleep with the anxiety i was having with not being able ot focus. And seeing before me all the time that i waste thinking of everything and accomplishing nothing.

I would say that ADHD meds swayed me away from drugs or alcohol. cause i was going that way out of frustration.

Tried antidepressants. NUM.
before I was adhd and cared
After DP. Still ADHD, but didnt care where my life was going.
Adding the sexual dysfunction and the 40 lbs that I gained. Withdrawal from it was another story

maybe went off the subject. no intention of doing so.
and no intention of attacking anyone.
my two cents

bookofmatches
05-23-10, 08:53 AM
No, being high does not mean one has to be so messed up that they can't function. The fact of the matter is that euphoria/elevated mood is not supposed to be the goal of psychostimulant treatment. If this becomes your goal on psychostimulants (to get the euphoric good mood buzz) then you're going to constantly increase your dose every few weeks or so. Also, abuse is not simply using the drug other than the oral route intended. When you take a drug that is not prescribed to you orally, this is also abuse. When you take more of a drug than you are prescribed (2 pills instead of 1 pill per day), this is abuse. When you take a drug more often than prescribed (you take a pill every 2 hours instead of every 4 hours as prescribed), this is abuse. Stop trying to rationalize your abuse of psychostimulants and realize that the good mood/euphoria/energetic boost/etc. won't last although you will still generally feel the benefits of the drug for your ADHD. Sure, it's not a crime that you should want to be feeling good, but heroin addicts would say the same thing. It's not a crime that they should be feeling good, hell, they have a deficient endogenous opioid receptor system! Seriously, we must not rationalize abuse and chase a euphoric 'feel good' buzz from our medication. We should take it as intended and for the purpose it has been prescribed for, ADHD. There's nothing wrong with feeling 'good' and getting extra motivation/stimulation from your psychostimulant; the only problem is that this feeling will not last and if you keep chasing this feeling you will end up in a messy cycle of addiction and mental deterioration.

Lunacie
05-23-10, 09:44 AM
It doesn't matter what you tell the pharmacist. They have to give you what is on the script. If the script doesn't specify they can give brand name or generic. I don't think the pharmacy messed up, I think the doctor needed to be more specific in writing the script.

Josh_kelly
05-23-10, 10:27 AM
we agree to disagree my friend

i am not abusing stims

feeling the physiological need to take any med is called addiction not abuse

"abusing" the drug is taking it in a way other that normal

abusing the drug
addicted to the drug

even the terms are self expplanotary

abuse of power, position, ...etc.
addicted to chocolate, tv, internet...

if i "abuse" stims. why my doc keeps prescribing them to me? why do i live a normal life where i feel productive

u need to have background and be less judgmental.

heroin is an excellent medication for people in advanced stages of cancer, AIDS, people who are badly burned. it would be a life saver for them. it was developed for people who might die just from experiencing extreme pain. its chemical name is diamorphine. addicts gave it the name heroin because they would feel like heroes when they get "high" on it in their little world.

but unfortunately, abusers gave it a bad name. Same thing goes for oxycontin, and other pain killers.

We should not be judgmental on the drug or the people who are taking it for whats prescribed for.

repeating what others say without understanding it and giving ones self a position to be judgmental without being asked or having the background is uncalled for in my opinion. empty can rattles the most.

i am not saying if you have a headache go to your nearest drug dealer and get heroin. i am saying that you make in genuine conditions medications can be useful. Doctors decide on what to prescribe. We should not automatically classify people who are taking medication as addicts or junkies. Just because some idiots take it recreational.

anything can be abused or addictive. u have liquor stores everywhere. I dont think people drink alcohol "medicinally" or because they have alcohol deficiency. they drink it to have a buzz at the least. Why there is nothing wrong with that? and these people who drink it not because they need too but its mostly recreational. while people with adhd who are happier and more motivated to live a normal life while on adhd meds is considered taboo.

i dont think that drinking alcohol will give you the ability to function normally. it does the opposite. it impedes your mind.

on the other hand, taking adhd meds the right way and at the right amount then going to work or school and function normally is not wrong. You automatically assumed that I am an addict or an abuser because I defend the right of people who genuinely suffer from extreme medical conditions decided by their doctors and their intent of using the drug as a medicine. Is being very stereotypical. Its so easy to reject and pass judgment without putting the effort into understanding first. Just because most people agree with you does not make you right. Most people would only understand the other point of view only if one day they would be in that genuine position. Going thru the pain or suffering with no relief. would make the medication more right than wrong.
Most of your of your posts are judgmental, lacking background and classifying the person as "an abuser" from ONE POST when you dont even know what the word "abuse" means or Does that help the person who is asking or just makes you feel good about your self. Now I am an abuser? great! I ll stop seeing my doctor. Funny man. I get the name now, book of matches

Dark Ages. in the 1500s, many educated people believed that the world was round, but it was not until the 1800s that that knowledge became widespread. this is mainly due to people who went against the beliefs of the time, generally got themselves killed.

this is my last response to this. I got your point you got mine. 3 sides to the story. Mine yours and the truth!

bookofmatches
05-23-10, 10:07 PM
You need to lay off the ad hominem attacks as they don't help your argument. I did not say nor assume that you were/are an addict at all. From what you were telling me about how you want to use the medication (to feel 'energized', etc.) seems to be screaming addictive behavior. Anyone would tell you this. Your thoughts and writing are very disorganized though so it's very hard to understand what points you're trying to get across at times. You assume that I assumed that you are an addict, and your assumption there is wrong. I simply used what you told me (albeit in a very unintelligible manner) about how you use the drug and since you were defending the euphoric effects of the drug to treat ADHD, I corrected this notion that one should expect euphoria to treat ADHD. Addiction/craving is not a physiological need for a drug. Addiction/craving is a psychological need for a drug. Dependency is a physiological need for a drug. Abuse with prescription drugs is classified as taking the prescribed drug in greater amounts than prescribed. I was prescribed hydrocodone/APAP 5/500 once. It said on the bottle to take 1 every 4 hours. If i took more than 1 every 4 hours this would constitute abuse of the drug, as I am not following the directions and taking more than prescribed. The same thing goes for psychostimulants used to treat ADHD. This is why doctors frown upon increasing your dose without their approval/inquiry beforehand.

phEight
05-23-10, 11:12 PM
Lol what? Wanting to feeling energized does not scream addict behavior. If the person said something like... I wasn't getting the feeling of being content and happy... etc. then you might have a point. A lot of us here are ADD-I. The one commonality among all of us is extreme lethargy and tiredness that's kept us from functioning at a proper level. One of the reasons I take amphetamines is because it is an energy boost. It helps in other ways too but if my meds didn't help with energy they would barely help me. Being able to focus without having the energy to do anything is useless. Now you have to look at this relatively. An energy boost for me doesn't make me feel speedy with an infinite amount of energy... it's a boost that lets me actually take on the day.

No offense but I seriously think your definition of abuse is flawed. Abuse would be finishing your script 2 weeks before it's meant to be done. Abuse is taking the drug for recreational purposes. Abuse is taking the drug expecting to feel a high. Taking one extra pill is not abuse. The fact is this medicine is absorbed differently in certain conditions. If the medicine isn't doing anything for you for that particular day, and you take an extra pill... is that really abuse? If this habit keeps up and the person keeps adding pills without consulting the doc that's a different story. IMO it seemed like screaming abuse in this scenario was jumping the gun just a little bit.

peripatetic
05-23-10, 11:19 PM
moderator note:

please keep posts on topic to avoid thread closure.

here's the original post:

I went to Walgreens last week to drop off my Dex prescription. Doc took me off of Vyvanse to put me Dex IR. This is what I wanted. I faster acting, shorter lasting drug.

When I dropped the prescription I was told I had to wait a week for the drug (because it had to be ordered) and that i had to call my insurance (Medco) to get an approval.

I called Medco, they asked me why I wanted this drug if I was already on Vyvanse. I explained to them how I hated how long Vyvanse took to kick in. And how unpredictable the time frame for Vyvanse lasting is. Therefore, I chose to go on Dex IR because it was faster acting and shorter lasting. Thus me having better control of the drug. This way it can kick in faster, last shorter....less chances of getting insomnia etc etc. The woman I was speaking to said thats exactly the reason why HER son take Dex IR. So me and this lady (from approval department at Medco) where on the same page. Good for me! So I was approved!

Now a week goes by. I get a call from Walgreens saying my Dex is ready to be picked up. I go to Walgreens at by 3:15pm, I take my first pill.

An hour goes by and I don't feel anything! And I'm at work and NEED this energy/motivator to kick in. BTW...I didn't take my Vyvanse that day because I was waiting specifically for the Dex IR all day long.

Now it's 4:30pm and I'm wondering what the hell is going on!? How come I don't feel anything! So I took another one. It's 5:30pm and I'm just barely feeling something! I'm thinking to myself..."Ok, something wrong happened with the first pill..my body didn't absorb it and this is the 2nd pill kicking in.

OMW to the gym now. It's 7:30 and I'm not really feeling the desire to get out of my car and go inside the gym to train. So I took another pill. I trained for HALF AN HOUR at the most! Decided..."I don't feel normal like I do on Vyvanse...I'm going home".

It's 11pm now and I'm beginning to feel somewhat sleepy and weak (so I thought). Get into bed and didn't sleep all night long! It's already 9am and the whole family is waking up. I'm still in bed "TRYING" to get at least a minute of sleep. It's now 11am, I gave up and got up to eat. Went back to bed at 12pm to try again to sleep. But again...no luck.

Now its 1pm and I want to spend time with my family. But I feel so "OUT OF IT" its not even funny! So I took another pill to get my mood and energy up!

It's already 4pm and I feel like total crap! Then I realize that.....

Walgreens did NOT give me the IR version but instead gave me the SR version! OMG!!!! No wonder this stuff wasn't kicking in on time. And no wonder why I didn't sleep at all! My whole Saturday went to waste!

Now what do I do? I haven't called Walgreens because their pharmacy dept. is closed. So I have to go tomorrow.

Guys..what will happen now? Walgreens is at fault! I clearly explained to my insurance (for approval purposes) that I wanted the IR version and explained to them why. At the day I dropped of the prescription at Walgreens. I told the Manager (before she placed the order) that I wanted IR version. And explained to her as well why I wanted Dex IR over the usual Vyvanse I got from them.

Here's the catch though. I have a copy of the script and only says....

Dexedrine 10mgs 4 times a day
Morning, Noon, 4pm and 8pm.

I'm going tomorrow to Walgreens. I hope they (or the pharmacy manager) don't pull a fast one on me. And try to get off the leash by saying that the script did not specify what I wanted exactly. And that this is NOT their fault. I'll get VERY upset if they say some crap like this to me.

Common sense (by a pharmacy manager that placed the order and after I explained to her why I wanted Dex over Vyvanse) should say to them NO ONE is take ANY drug that is an EXTENDED/SUSTANED release at FOUR (4) times a day! That's just plain stupid if you ask me.

thank you

Carmine
05-24-10, 02:06 PM
I went to Walgreens. And they didn't want to take the blame for anything. They told me that the doc did NOT specify with Dex I wanted blah blah blah. And that spansules is what they see on THEIR computer.

I didn't even bother messing with them. I just left after arguing back and forth. I'm going to call my insurance now and see what they can do.

Josh_kelly
05-24-10, 02:23 PM
call walgreens headquarters and make a formal complaint.

I did that with another pharmacy chain. When I got the adderall brand IR with the formula and felt sick. when they changed from AD to dp imprint. It took a month. They even refused to touch it at the store. I guess controlled substance bypasses everything.

but called their 800 and explained. They said they cant promise me anything but they will try.

two weeks later. my pharmacy called and said to bring it in. they refunded my credit card.

phEight
05-24-10, 10:55 PM
Sorry for straying off topic earlier..

Here is something that might be useful for you, at least so you know some of the laws involved with this sort of stuff. I noticed you were in Florida so I looked up the laws on schedule II substances... check the link below...

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=Ch0893/Sec04.HTM

Definitely file a complaint because it seems pretty dumb for a pharmacy to just randomly decide on whether SR or IR should be given without consulting you.