View Full Version : Getting Fit

AmyAcer
05-23-10, 08:01 AM
So me and my guy friend were watching a video of his b-day party in april and we both hated the way we look.... sooooo.... we are joining the gym. its a 24 hour gym. i want to lose about 100 pounds and he wants to lose 70 and get ripped:rolleyes:

the thing is that i never can stick to a diet and exercise program and with my nerve damage in my right side and 4 months post-op im not exactly sure how to approach this. Doc just told me to know my limits and dont overdo it.

how do you keep on track? stay on task? keep motivated?:confused:

Scooter77
05-23-10, 10:32 AM
stick a fat photo and a skinny photo on your fridge, mirror etc....
keep it in front of you to remind you what you dont want to be and what you do want to do...once you see the numbers drop you'll be motivated...its a good feeling. The more you exercise, the more you want to exercise

AmyAcer
05-23-10, 10:34 AM
but.... i dont have a skinny picture:confused:

i have lots of fat ones though lol:p

Krys.
05-23-10, 11:02 AM
I don't know about the nerve damage or anything but I can tell you some things that helped me. One was BEFORE PICTURES I took pics of all my problem areas and looked at them regularly. Another HUGE help was this website: www.sparkpeople.com (http://www.sparkpeople.com/) You put in your goals and it sets you up with a plan and a timeline. That place has groups to join, experts to help with answers, you can track your nutrition, your weight, your water intake, your exercise. They will set you up with a meal plan or you can input your own. IT'S FREE!! There are recipes, exercise ideas and soooo much more. It was fantastic for me. Other than that it was the fundamentals of weight loss: Calories (1200 - 1500 daily for me), exercise (30 - 60 minutes a day of cardio for me), at LEAST 64oz of water daily (can't stress that enough) and SLEEP (at least 7 hrs per night) Most people know the impact food and exercise have but don't realize the importance of water and sleep. I did a weekly weigh in. Part of what helped keep me motivated was seeing that number drop each week and even seeing it stay the same some weeks wasn't bad. It's also super important to remember that a bad week is NOT failure, it's a speed bump in the road. Don't let it stop you. Admittedly, there were days when I had to FORCE myself to start my workout because I really didn't want to. Once I got started though, I finished. I didn't have access to a gym so I used DVDs at home. At the very least I highly recommend you check that site out, it could be a huge help. Good Luck!
Krys.

AmyAcer
05-23-10, 05:15 PM
this got moved to a place where no one ever posts :(

livinginchaos
05-23-10, 05:51 PM
it got moved to the appropriate forum. If you have complaints, please contact a moderator rather than complain on the thread.

and now, back on topic:

So me and my guy friend were watching a video of his b-day party in april and we both hated the way we look.... sooooo.... we are joining the gym. its a 24 hour gym. i want to lose about 100 pounds and he wants to lose 70 and get ripped:rolleyes:

the thing is that i never can stick to a diet and exercise program and with my nerve damage in my right side and 4 months post-op im not exactly sure how to approach this. Doc just told me to know my limits and dont overdo it.

AmyAcer
05-25-10, 11:57 AM
a topic no one has replied to but you since it got moved... thats why i posted it where i did....

it wasnt a question of health and nutrition it was a question of how to stay motivated and on track with ADHD

just lock it please cuz no one is going to respond now.

String
05-25-10, 01:10 PM
Pull ups.

Buying a pull up bar might be the best thing for your guy friend. In January, I bought a simple $30 pull up bar that hangs above my door. It's been the best fitness investment I ever made. A pull up bar is way more accessible and affordable than a gym membership. The best thing is that it challenges you. It gives you goals. And if you work out right, you keep advancing your goals and you get ripped.

When I bought the bar about 5 months ago, I could do 3 dead drop pull ups. Now I can do 13.

My workout today was a Marine Corps Pyramid. Your guy friend can look it up on the Internet. You do 1 pull up, 2 push ups, 3 crunches and then 2 pull ups, 4 push ups, and 6 crunches and 3, 6, 9 and keep going until you reach your max and then you go down (6, 12, 18 to 5, 10, 15, etc.). I made it to 9 pull ups at the top of the pyramid today, which gave me a workout of 81 pull ups, 162 push ups, and 243 crunches. My goal is to reach 10 at the top of the pyramid (Navy Seals go to 15) and to be able to do 15 dead drop pull ups on demand one day soon.

The pull up bar isn't everything. Walking, jogging, squats, etc. have helped me. The central thing to my fitness this year, however, has been the $30 pull up bar. It keeps everything else going. I see it every day and want to get better. There are ways to get started even if you can't do one pull up. My son went from not being able to do one pull up to now doing 4.

By the way, I've also lost weight. My BMI has gone from 28 to about 24 while gaining muscle mass, which is from overweight to normal.

Results may vary, but I've heard many others say that a pull up bar became the center of their workout routine and something that kept them motivated.

dm_laugh3r
05-25-10, 01:23 PM

Keep thinking of the benefits you'll reap if you keep up the routine. You guys don't need to just join a gym, but you need to make lifestyle changes if you are serious. Start by running or lightly jogging on the treadmill everyday or every other day (depending on how hard you feel you can push yourself). Inherently, you will know what is too much and what is too little and what is just right. Take it slow. Don't try to do too much at once. It will destroy motivation and appeal. Just find your pace. Take it at that pace you find. Your pace will increase overtime but for right now, just take it easy. Kind of easy yourself in to the active lifestyle. Overtime, you can make necessary adjustments to your diet, and add more exercise, but don't think about that yet. Just focus on getting your foot in the door with some exercise.

Layla771
07-27-10, 10:40 AM
So, how's it going? :) Have you figured out any cool tricks to get motivated?

I just posted in 'Best Exercise' thread with similar problems - motivation!!
I fully know of benefits of exercise.. and somehow often couldn't make myself do it!! I'm quite skinny too, so that makes it even worse, cause I don't need to exercise for that reason.. I'd just like to be fit and healthy, and I know I always feel better then!!

Maybe it doesn't help that other people (my parents! lol!) are trying to make me go out and jog/walk or exercise... My sis who has often been overweight has now better motivation than I do and goes for a walk 2x a day or so.. I just don't know what happened? hmm!!

Do tell if you found out something useful!

If you've had health problems do get expert help (like physiotherapist's/doctor's advice, what you can or cannot do..) and read online about your specific problems, or read books.. I did get info on back problems when I had them.. and it was very helpful..