View Full Version : I hate Microsoft.

Amtram
05-25-10, 03:13 PM
I am terrible at learning things from reading. I have to learn things by doing. I've gotten pretty good at it over the years, taught myself a lot. One of the things I taught myself was Microsoft Access. I keep records of the members of a group I'm secretary for.

So we're having an orientation for new and returning members, and I need to print out a form for returning members to review/correct, and new members to fill out. Thank goodness I can figure this out, remember doing it from last year, but it still takes way longer than it had to because Microsoft made the program do stupid things. (Those two things aren't related!!! ERROR!!! I know they're not, you stupid program, I just want them to line up. Sheesh.)

So I get the new table made, design the form, tweak it until I can get all the information on it that I need and still have it on one page. Print it all out. Save everything. Close access. . .it asks me if I want to save the changes to the new table and form. Well, duh. Didn't you get that when I saved them before? Nevermind. Yeah, save the changes.

Go back into Access because I want to see if I can figure out how to make a template of the form so I don't have to re-do this every year. I had checked all the help files, couldn't make heads or tails of them, so I was going to experiment.

Table and Form are gone. I saved them. I clicked the yes button when Access asked me if I wanted to save the changes. And then they disappeared. This makes me furious when stuff doesn't work, especially since it takes me so much longer to do it because it isn't intuitive or well-documented. I'm going to have to start all over just so I can make one *******' copy with blank fields for the new members.

Hatehatehatehate Microsoft.

Amtram
05-25-10, 03:13 PM
Wow. That wasn't even a cuss word inside those asterisks! I swear it wasn't!

ruby-lang
05-25-10, 05:46 PM
You should have read the manual. Cussing isn't optional after using Access.

(BTW, are you sure it didn't save the form in another DB? You could check Access' recently opened files.)

Pamplemousse
05-25-10, 05:58 PM
Oh yes...I loathe Microsoft. Switched to a mac and found it to be very ADHD friendly! (It has a sticky notes app. so I can plaster sticky notes all over my screen!)

Werl
05-25-10, 07:53 PM
I am mac all the way.

Amtram
05-25-10, 11:01 PM
Unfortunately, I am stuck with the PC, at least for the next three years (after that, my kid graduates, and I'm off the hook for this!)

Yeah, found out that the files had saved in a copy of a backup. . .say what? So now I know I have to create a completely new database, copy the section of the original using outlook, and paste it into the new database from outlook. You think it would have made more sense to be able to take things from a file in Access and copy them into another file in Access, but NOOOOO. At least I know what the biggest problem was, which is good, because I need to change the forms and add in a whole bunch of new members (who have not yet been provided to me, even though they got mailings over a week ago. . .)

Fezzik
05-26-10, 11:10 AM
Linux man Linux. Ah that feels better. I don't do much with Databases but I would much rather use SQL than something unique to a certain OS any day. I generally lean Open source when given the option. At work I don't get the option. If I could get a real Linux phone I would but Android will do for now. Openoffice might even have an Access clone but I would think it would be too Accessy.