View Full Version : I have a bit of an eating problem. This is how my mom handles it:

dm_laugh3r
05-25-10, 06:55 PM
No wonder I'm depressed... I'm so ****ing fed up with my parents and the way they treat me. I swear I think of some of the most terrible ways to kill them. They make me so mad. If you are like me, and suffer from depression (a deep one) then you know that food is like your best friend. My mom just asked me: "Do you attack everything you see?" in a very angry tone. I know I shouldn't eat as much as I do and I don't want to but it's like taking a homeless man's ****.

I hate my life. Let this be a lesson learned for other parents of kids who are depressed. All the extra criticism doesn't help.

Scuba_fla
05-25-10, 09:40 PM
My friend you need to learn how to separate yourself from your parents comments. Completely disconnect from ignorant comments such as those you mention. I also grew up with a difficult mother (although I love her w/my life) and while going through those days I fell into a deep depression...even wanting to end it all. But please understand, in life we become what we entertain mentally....if you "listen" to your parents you will become exactly those things they accuse you of being. The more emotion you put into listening to their comments, the more quickly you will become that. One of the beauties of life is that once you realize this you can liberate yourself from so much sadness, anger, and suffering.
Stop thinking about the bad stuff in your life, stop listening to the negative comments and start thinking about those things you like, enjoy, and make you happy. It will make a tremendous difference just disconnecting yourself from their comments....pls realize you are an incredible person. Believe it because its true....and soon everything around you begins to change.
Trust me on this....growing up I went through some horrible days and managed to turn my life around completely.

dubstep08
05-25-10, 09:48 PM
Your life is yours and you are in control at any moment you can move go elxplore yourself. explore the world find your nitch. Seperate yourself from the things that dont make you feel good. Life is too short my man. There is alot of places to go and see and some where you will be ontop. also we all take heat from our parents rise above that level because life will take care of life. just my thought i could be wrong but works for me

QueensU_girl
05-25-10, 10:16 PM
What can you do to start making plans to exit your home? Have you finished high school?

Some kids find getting off to college or out into the workforces helps them get independent of an abusive home life.

PS if you can get it, try picking up these library books:

Surviving a Borderline Parent
Stop Walking on Eggshells
Emotional Vampires.

dm_laugh3r
05-26-10, 07:29 AM
What can you do to start making plans to exit your home? Have you finished high school?

Some kids find getting off to college or out into the workforces helps them get independent of an abusive home life.

PS if you can get it, try picking up these library books:

Surviving a Borderline Parent
Stop Walking on Eggshells
Emotional Vampires.

I'm confused. Are you suggesting my mother has BPD?

marie-johanne
05-26-10, 09:15 AM
No wonder I'm depressed... I'm so ****ing fed up with my parents and the way they treat me. I swear I think of some of the most terrible ways to kill them. They make me so mad. If you are like me, and suffer from depression (a deep one) then you know that food is like your best friend. My mom just asked me: "Do you attack everything you see?" in a very angry tone. I know I shouldn't eat as much as I do and I don't want to but it's like taking a homeless man's ****.

I hate my life. Let this be a lesson learned for other parents of kids who are depressed. All the extra criticism doesn't help.

Do not own such statements. I don't know your story - but I assume you are on anti-depressants?

As for the 'attack everything you see', I (being the big-mouth that I am) would have probably looked her in the eye and said, "No...not *everything*."

caringmum
05-27-10, 03:20 PM
I think the way you cope with this all dpends on what your situation is, im in/and was in the same with my mother, if you are stuck in a house with her as a child then it is very difficult to get away but then i suggest you find ways tio cope with them, however if you are old enough like i am now, i would suggest you see as little as them as possible, until you are strong enough to deal with such hurtful comments and vicious statements you should stay well away, when you are more strong and confident with yourself nothing will hurt you anymore but until that day limit the time you spend with your parents, if you are stuck with them then hang on in there and be strong.

LogicalTime
05-27-10, 06:13 PM
It is really really hard to "just cope" when you are living with people like that. I think it would be easier for you to figure out a solution if you could live with some other family (or friends) for a while (even just a day or two could help).

I also impulsively binge sometimes. I think I learned to do it as a kid, since it does stimulate the senses quite a bit.

I keep all binge food out of my place, so eating unhealthfully takes quite a bit of effort. It works pretty decently, it's rather like pitting the non-motivation part of add against the impulsive part.

Also exercise really helps to stabilize mood and fend off the eating cravings somewhat. Try going outside and sprinting down the road, recovering by walking and then sprinting again (might work well when you feel angry).

dm_laugh3r
05-28-10, 01:44 PM
I've been running a mile 4 days a week and shooting some hoops in the morning. I'm still using food as a coping mechanism. It's one of the only exciting things in my life.

mad83
08-24-10, 08:51 AM
I know all too well about a difficult mother. I'm dealing with mine and a difficult mother in law. The GREATEST advice I ever got is "when you move out, the relationship will be better" because it will be.
My mom is overweight and so am I. Everytime I went for a snack in the cupboard, she would yell from her room "What are you getting into now?" like I was a dog getting into the trash. Now I'm taking care of my weight and she's got medical problems. Maybe your mom has some embedded issues she needs to work on, just let her deal with her own problems. It's your life and remember that. Let HER suffer on her own and she can sit in her own pile of self loathing that she takes out on you. Don't let anyone make you feel like that, especially your parents. They are supposed to be there for you but the truth is some of us are dealt a bad hand. I would try to talk to her about it but if you aren't comfortable with that, distance yourself from her. Go see friends, journal at the library, anything to get out of the house.
As for thinking about ways to kill your mother, I had the same thoughts. I feel like I would not have felt anything if she had died. Just keep those thoughts in a safe place where she can't find them (and of course don't act upon them), and use them against you. One day hopefully your relationship will get better and I pray it does. My mom and I are no where near 100%, but we can stand to be in the same room together. Keep this in the back of your mind. Work hard to get a good job and move out. Then you can leave, and when you are ready, retry the relationship with your mom.