View Full Version : Generic Desoxyn?

boyracer
05-25-10, 10:59 PM
I understand that Mylan Pharmaceuticals has released a generic version of Desoxyn. Has anyone here tried it and have any favorable or negative impressions? I have been on Ovation / Lundbeck Desoxyn for two years and it's been the only ADHD medicine that works for me. It is $50 a month even with insurance so, I'm interested to see if the Mylan version is any good. I started on Ritalin, then tried Concerta, Adderall, GSK Dexedrine IR, GSK Dex SR, Barr Dex IR,which was the worst, Vyvanse and finally Desoxyn which is the Holy Grail Imho.

Josh_kelly
05-26-10, 02:21 PM
i think its hard to screw up when making desoxyn

its only one component (dex-methamphetamine)
instant release.

look at how easy it is to manufacture crystal meth by idiots. crustal meth has l and dex meth. more complex than desoxyn

many people say that the discontinued abott? wafers or something (the SR) was much better than desoxyn. i think because it was SR.

but the brand desoxyn and the generic are both IR.

you wont have a choice soon. from the looks of it. the brand might pull the plug. sales were only 9 million and that was before the generic.

shining
05-27-10, 02:37 AM
Meth is easier to make than only R isomer. desoxyn has a very long half life, it is less IR than vyvanse.

i think its hard to screw up when making desoxyn

its only one component (dex-methamphetamine)
instant release.

look at how easy it is to manufacture crystal meth by idiots. crustal meth has l and dex meth. more complex than desoxyn

many people say that the discontinued abott? wafers or something (the SR) was much better than desoxyn. i think because it was SR.

but the brand desoxyn and the generic are both IR.

you wont have a choice soon. from the looks of it. the brand might pull the plug. sales were only 9 million and that was before the generic.

Josh_kelly
05-27-10, 06:40 AM
you are right. thanks for the correction.

desoxyn is dex-methamp
while vyvanse is lysine + "dex-amp"

Everyzig2101
07-07-10, 11:20 AM
I've gotten ahold of generic desoxyn for $10 copay a month (on 150 pills).

I dont know if its as good as the brand . im still deciding .

zRookz
09-02-10, 09:29 PM
can anyone give me an idea of how much cheaper the generic desoxyn costs? I've been wanting to try it but the price tag always scared me away. I've been trying to find out how much the generic costs but there is nill information to be found about prices on the internet as far as I can read. I have ****ty insurance, right now I pay like $32 for 180 pills of 5mg generic dexedrine. If Generic desoxyn were under $50 for a relatively equivalent dose, I'd definitely try it.

com3origin4l
09-04-10, 02:25 PM
Through Medco the cost for 30 pills is $81.65; that is a $15 copay plus $66.65 that the plan pays. The brand name is $126.56 for 30 pills and I pay $63.28, 50/50 copay. After they pay $177 I have to pay the remainder, it is expensive after 3 pills per day.

I have only tried the generic for the past 2 months and I personally don't like it. Getting the brand name in a few days to compare though.

Ritalin20Xanax2
09-26-10, 10:51 PM
I just have some advice for you taking Desoxyn. The half-life is 9-15 Hours and it has a very strong oral bio availability (62.7% Orally). This means its extremely strong even though they only come in 5mg Tabs and they last very long. Just be careful and stay safe.

salleh
09-26-10, 11:54 PM
does anyone know the price of the generic desoxyn without insurance ? ...right now I pay $111, for 270 10mg. Barr Dex IR.....which I think is a pretty good deal, and this is Walgreen's I'm talking about !

katesgrandma
12-22-10, 10:49 PM
I've been taking the generic for 2 months and the only difference I've noticed is taste (and the cost!!! Without insurance I was paying almost $700 for 150 5mg! Generic saves me almost $500.)

I spent most of my life with undiagnosed ADHD and self-medicating. I'm recovering from street meth so was lucky I found a clinician willing to take a chance on the Desoxyn. I went the whole Ritalin (shudder), Dexedrine, Concerta, Adderall route first, though.

Adderall sort of worked. It gave me a broad spectrum focus (like working in yard) but the bills still didn't get paid on time. When I went back to school I found I needed a more fine-tuned focus, which is what the Desoxyn provided. (Nothing else has worked like it does!) School was the best thing I could have done since it literally repaired the street meth damage and helped build new neural pathways in my brain. I'm at a point where I take the Desoxyn (and now generic) first thing in the morning and then pretty much as needed. Still can't get my brain sparked to do housework, but a least I can function everywhere else.

I have had sensitivities to other generics like the Adderall generic-(yuck) so was a bit leery of trying the generic Desoxyn. Who knows-maybe just knowing I am saving $500 is incentive enough not to notice any difference if there is any!!!! I do know I mixed the bottles up and accidentally took one of my little "stash" of the Ovation and did not notice I had done it until the next time I went to take one.

Not sure what people meant by desoxyn being dex-methamp. FDA and manufacturer site say "methamphetamine hydrochloride". Just found out FDA has the history of desoxyn on the web. First approval Dec. 31, 1943! Several companies have attempted to go generic with it. (Not sure why they were discontinued.)

Ooops-meds have worn off and I'm writing too much! Sorry

drose
05-08-11, 09:34 AM
I believe my doc told me that the 5mg brand name was $3 each. I am currently taking the generics and feel that it has been inconsistent. I do not want to take higher dosage at the times it isn't working as I would like. I would greatly appreciate if anyone could input their personal experience with the brand name before I pay the pricey cost to give Desoxyn a fair chance.

collegewriter
05-09-11, 03:16 PM
Does a brand name still exist for Desoxyn? I currently take the 5 mg generics and they typically are consistent, but not always. Thankfully they are 10x better than other Amphetamines and Methylphenidates!

twinch42085
05-13-11, 04:06 PM
Yes, Ovation Pharmaceuticals makes Desoxyn 5mg tablets. I switched from Dexedrine to Desoxyn (Generic).

I took 5mg 4x/day for a daily total of 20mg of Methamphetamine Hydrochloride. I will agree that there were little to NO side effects with the medicine.

After a month of generic Desoxyn I switched back to Dexedrine and had my dosage increased to 40mg/day of Dexedrine.

Generic Desoxyn gave me no benefit over my symptoms.

I did not try the Name Brand Desoxyn. At my private pharmacy I could get a 30 day supply of 5mg Name Brand Desoxyn Tablets at a quantity of 120 tablets for $338.

I didn't though, but the medicine is cheap.

SCOTTs
05-19-11, 11:21 PM
hey everyone; my name's Scott, I like ya'll have tried all ADHD meds
orig., the brand Adderall Tabs, Then brand Adderall XR; note that I have of course tried All Generics For Adderall and while some were definitely better than others (generically*), they most certainly lacked the efficacy in comparison: Brand Adderall.
OK well here's my input: Generic Desoxyn in my opinion is equal to in efficacy the Brand Name; which I was on (brand) until the pharmacy could finally get the generic which took them over 2Weeks! to finally recieve.
I'm not trying to prove anything here; but for me at least and I think this information would be important to anyone else interested that the brand and generic (Mylan) can actually be used interchangeably; the both are equal in efficacy and consistency; I make straight A's, have my degree and am working on another, with very little effort and this is due gratefully and humbly to (generic) Desoxyn which I very much believe to be much cleaner (and with less side effects) than any and all versions of adderall I've ever tried.
To tell the truth, I was looking forward to trying the generic in hopes that it would work as good as the brand but doubtful; and I'd have to say that all the explaining I did to my Psychiatrist and the Pharmacists paid off in this one. So in my experience, generic desoxyn (and/or desoxyn brand) is equal in efficacy to the brand and if not equal PRECISELY then the margin or difference is OBSOLETE.

Entheogenic Om
10-18-13, 02:55 PM
I am also prescribed Desoxyn (5mg, 3 x / day) as well as Dexedrine (15mg ER - 3 x / day) and Desoxyn is definitely the best ADHD med in my opinion. After trying various prescribed amphetamines, I found the Dexedrine (Dextroamphetamine) to be better than adderall (dextro and levo amphetamine) likely because if the fact that the dextro is the only active isomer and the levo contributes to a variety of unwanted side effects. As clean as the dextro is when I was prescribed desoxyn I was amazed at how clean and side effect free it was. With desoxyn I feel more alert, focus, motivated but more or less completely normal, or without any feeling of being on something as with any other amphetamine. When taking desoxyn I have to actually remind myself that I'm on it because occasionally I'll go a couple days without getting a whole lot of sleep and desoxyn makes me feel so normal that I need to remind myself to take it easy and not overdo it. I have really basic medical insurance, nothing at all special, which does allow me to get generic meds for only $15 ea. This means my 90 desoxyn and 90 dexies are only $30 total. I've talked to my doc and wanted to switch to just desoxyn but ran into problems w/ insurance. Since they stopped making the 10 & 15 mg desoxyn the doc had to prescribe me 12 - 5mg desoxyn a day or 360 a month. When I tried to fill it w/ insurance they didn't approve it because they apparently have to verify if its a legitimate amount and only approve 3 a month as the highest possible option. 90 desoxyn without insurance is something like $230 so that'd be close to $1000 for 360. I didn't opt to go through the verification process right away as I might have to wait up to 3 mo/ to get approval and didn't want to go that long w/o anything so stuck with the 3 dexies/ 3 desox a day combo. Finally I talked to my doc figured everything involved and went in early to drop the script off and start this whole insurance ********.

Despite Desoxyn being the best ADHD med it comes with a lot of problems. First off, finding a pharmacy that carries it is such a nightmare and you're not likely going to be able to get it the same day. If you realize this tho, you can start going one week earlier to doc and if you drop it off in time to the pharmacy they can then order it for you. Second, the name methamphetamine has such a bad stigma that you get everybody and their mother telling you to think about trying some other ADHD med like Adderall. This really bothers me, especially when pharmacists tell me it and I always ask them, "Are you a doctor? Cuz you don't have any right to tell me what I should or should not take." Also aside from them if u happen to tell anyone (friends, family) that you take desoxyn they'll definitely act different towards you and try to suggest you take something else.

So to sum everything up desoxyn is an amazing med for ADHD and the one with the least amount of side effects as well as likely the highest efficacy per mg ratio of any amphetamine. It also has a seretogenic release that is unique to all amphetamines which allows me to easily fall asleep if I need to and makes it great to take in the afternoon or during a time when you might need to get to sleep kinda soon after. That being said, these things come at a price. Not in the terms of physiological / psychological effects but with difficulties associated with it. Getting a doc to prescribe it, finding a pharmacy that consistently carries it, having every1 giving you advice, etc, are a pain in the ***. So keep that in mind

stanses
11-09-13, 07:01 PM
Yeah desoxyn is great; you don't feel awkward on it, you just feel normal but can concentrate; it's a shame this company doesn't realize they could make it in 10mg's and drop the price and take half of adderall's market, I guess they're closed minded. It's so expensive it would only be feasible to take if you were a millionaire though honestly, even generic was almost 600$ a month for me...

liveandletdie
01-11-14, 02:47 PM
I wish this was more widely available and covered...from what I have read it is superior to all other medications =/

And like others have said...it's easy to make- why should it be so expensive...just the demand isn't there because people are afraid to prescribe it...and most don't know it exists... :eyebrow:

baical
07-08-15, 05:18 AM
I'm curious how you people are getting 120 pills of a controlled medication when I could only get prescribed 30 pills (good for a month) of Vyvanse. Does it take a while for the doctor to like me enough to prescribed me a supply good for 3-4 months?

I don't think Ovation is still around so I'm assuming Lundbeck (which acquired Ovation) is the one that makes the generic Desoxyn now. Not sure who else makes it. Then again I just checked the Lundbeck site and they don't even have Desoxyn listed anymore. So who makes these now?

How did you get prescribed 40 mg Dexedrine when this only comes 15 mg max dose? Where you popping 10 mg dose 4x? There's a 5 mg version as well (so it's 5, 10, 15).

Yes, Ovation Pharmaceuticals makes Desoxyn 5mg tablets. I switched from Dexedrine to Desoxyn (Generic).

I took 5mg 4x/day for a daily total of 20mg of Methamphetamine Hydrochloride. I will agree that there were little to NO side effects with the medicine.

After a month of generic Desoxyn I switched back to Dexedrine and had my dosage increased to 40mg/day of Dexedrine.

Generic Desoxyn gave me no benefit over my symptoms.

I did not try the Name Brand Desoxyn. At my private pharmacy I could get a 30 day supply of 5mg Name Brand Desoxyn Tablets at a quantity of 120 tablets for $338.

I didn't though, but the medicine is cheap.

sarahsweets
07-28-15, 04:40 AM
I'm curious how you people are getting 120 pills of a controlled medication when I could only get prescribed 30 pills (good for a month) of Vyvanse. Does it take a while for the doctor to like me enough to prescribed me a supply good for 3-4 months?
I dont think it has anything to do with a doctor liking you, it has more to do with risk assessment and treatment protocol.

How did you get prescribed 40 mg Dexedrine when this only comes 15 mg max dose? Where you popping 10 mg dose 4x? There's a 5 mg version as well (so it's 5, 10, 15).
I dont know if this is the answer you are looking for but I am prescribed 45 mg a day which is 3 10mg spanules and 3 5mg ir's.

Sickle
08-19-15, 10:50 PM
I went from 60 mg of IR Dexedrine (20 3 times/day) to Desoxyn at the same dose when there was that big shortage and tried both mylan and Ovation too for the three months on them and they were worthless. It did nothing for my hyperactivity but then Dexedrine was back for awhile and I was calm cool and collected again. I get more relief with caffeine than that. And it was very secure too it was sent away to some place to be filled and I had to wait for a delivery in 2 days. Not sure why there's a stigma because aside from appetite loss I didn't get any effect but they tested both of them on the brain and measured values and dexedrine is stronger in some of the percentages than desoxyn.

OblongDonkeyDon
06-05-16, 10:31 PM
Bleh! Have YOU ever made the stuff??? Those poor doctors could explode themselves like my buddy Postie...He blower up one time, and I talk to the kids in the trailer park to NOT EXPLODE THEMSELVES! That's the name of the program I run for the children of poverty who turn to meth, and I help rehab them.