View Full Version : Chores Lists ....

vja4Him
05-30-10, 12:16 AM
I have been working on perfecting my chore list for several years now. We only got started with organizing our chores when we had in-home counseling services.

I have three chores lists (all on 8 1/2 by 11 inch binder sheets). One is for daily chores, which lists myself, my two boys and roommate. The other two are for weekly chores.

The chore lists really helps us tremendously! My oldest son and I have ADD, and my youngest boy has ADHD. Although, I still have to remind my boys to check the chore list.

Krys.
05-30-10, 07:35 AM
Chore lists are great. I like to make things complicated though. Well at least they tend to look complicated but they really are not. When things were running their absolute smoothest around here I had some very detailed chore lists. I had a list for chores that needed doing daily and then a list for each day of the week (monday, tuesday, etc..) Each day I would go through the dailys then do the list for that specific week day. I really need to do that again and update my lists.

Amtram
05-30-10, 07:50 AM
The biggest problem for me is developing the list in the first place. Right now I'm trying to get back in the habit of picking individual chores and assigning them a day of the week. It's still rough, especially since the last year has been so disrupted. Plus, scheduling chores for the kids is hard because the things they have time to do becomes severely limited during Marching Band season. Baby steps. At least I'm getting more things done regularly than I used to!

Krys.
05-30-10, 08:41 AM
The biggest problem for me is developing the list in the first place.

What I found worked for me was this: I took a notebook and went to each room in the house writing down EVERYTHING that needed doing in that room. When I had done each room I sat down and wrote a "d" next to the thing that needed done daily and a "w" next to things that needed doing weekly. I then put everything with a "D" by it on a piece of paper titled "DAILY CHORES" When that was done I assigned each thing that had a "W" by it, a specific day of the week and proceeded to make a different list for each day of the week. Put it all neatly in a binder and was done. Then all I had to do was do my "Daily Chores" each day followed by that specific day of the week. The great thing is that it didn't matter what order I did the list in, as long as it got done.

Amtram
05-30-10, 10:11 PM
I actually thought about that many times, but the more I thought about it, the bigger a task it became, until it became too monumental to even start!

Krys.
05-31-10, 08:18 AM
That's the trouble with thinking!:p lol I enjoy making lists, and coming up with ways to organize things. But when the preparation is done I often have a hard time doing what I prepared for. It's important to remember that anything can be broken down into smaller steps and thus not seem so overwhelming. Then there is the alternative perspective... For me, making my list and hopefully using it as it's meant to be, is less overwhelming than the idea of not getting/keeping the clutter/mess under control.:)

vja4Him
05-31-10, 09:39 AM
Chore lists are great. I like to make things complicated though. Well at least they tend to look complicated but they really are not. When things were running their absolute smoothest around here I had some very detailed chore lists. I had a list for chores that needed doing daily and then a list for each day of the week (monday, tuesday, etc..) Each day I would go through the dailys then do the list for that specific week day. I really need to do that again and update my lists.

We had a counseling service (Home Base) come to our home for six months. Part of the process for conflict resolution was to make a huge chart, one for chores and the other for consequences/rewards. My boys helped out with the decision for the chores, consequences and rewards and made the charts. We kept the charts up for over a year.

Over time, I've had to make numerous revisions, and now have a very detailed system of chores. For the daily chores, we have every day of the week listed by columns; and people listed in four rows, one for the roommate, my oldest son, youngest boy, and myself.

I recently revised the daily chart again, and wrote everything with colored felt-tipped pens, in large letters, so it's much easier to read and user friendly.

For the weekly chores (two separate pages) I revised the charts so everything lines up nicer, and now is much easier to read and understand. The person responsible for the weekly chores has the entire week to do whatever is on those two lists.

Yard trash is a weekly chore, and whoever has it for that week will pick up the trash several times each week, depending on how much trash there is.

My boys and I need details, lots of details, and reminders .....