View Full Version : I Need to See My Stuff .....

vja4Him
05-30-10, 12:19 AM
I've tried computer software to help me organize my life, but it just doesn't work. I need to see the stuff out in the open.

Like my mother told me recently, life has become so much more complicated than it was when she was growing up. There are so many more things to take care of, so many distractions.

There is just too much stuff that gets me distracted. Too many things that I need. Too many things to keep track of .....

I really need to have shelves on every wall in the house, and most of them with either no doors, or glass doors so I can see inside ... !!!

ginniebean
05-30-10, 12:20 AM
Actually, that's not a bad idea.. the problem is putting the stuff back in to the shelf.

It's actually a very good recommendation and you hit the nail on the head as far as the visual strengths of the adhd'er

meridian
05-30-10, 01:01 AM
There is an unused hallway in my apartment which has full length shelves in it filled up with clear plastic containers (Container Store, yay!) and those containers are filled with well . . . stuff.

And then on the floor of the hallway is about 3-4 feet of piled up junk, so I can't get in to see the wonderfully organized stuff.

Sigh.

I hired a professional organizer once who was amazed that all of my closets and storage spaces were totally organized but the rooms themselves were a mess.

Too Much STUFF!

And I have even more stuff in storage and in my Mom's garage! YIKES! :eek:

Oh yeah, and there is an awful lot of stuff that I simply cannot find! :mad:

vja4Him
05-30-10, 01:29 AM
Actually, that's not a bad idea.. the problem is putting the stuff back in to the shelf.

It's actually a very good recommendation and you hit the nail on the head as far as the visual strengths of the adhd'er

It has taken me many years to find out what was wrong with me .... I thought that I was just a strange, freak of nature ...

I have to keep lots of things out in the open, so I can see what I have, and what I need. I have post-it notes everywhere, always carry little pieces of paper around and a pen, so I can write notes of things that I need to do (phone calls, appointments, buying stuff, etc.).

I have special containers that I use for certain things. For example, I have a small purple (my favorite color) pouch where I keep recently charged batteries. I keep duplicate items for some things, like post-its for writing important notes, in many different places, so they are easy and quick to find. Same thing with pencils and pens (we have those in many places around the house). We each (myself and my two boys) have two pencil sharpeners. My youngest son lost his already. They are most likely around somewhere, and we will find them someday, who knows when ....

We have two first aid kits, one in the dining room, and one in my oldest son's room. I have lots of duplicate keys (!!!). I'm always misplacing keys, my wallet, bus fare, bus tickets, receipts, and other stuff.

I have many calculators all over the house. I still misplace my cordless phone all the time. My boys misplace the other cordless phone, so we are always using the base to try and find the phones ... !!!

I have multiple flashlights around the house. We keep an index box in the dining room with important phone numbers. So that way my boys will be able to find phone numbers when they have misplaced their copies.

You just have to be creative and experiment with ways that work for you ....

vja4Him
05-30-10, 01:33 AM
There is an unused hallway in my apartment which has full length shelves in it filled up with clear plastic containers (Container Store, yay!) and those containers are filled with well . . . stuff.

And then on the floor of the hallway is about 3-4 feet of piled up junk, so I can't get in to see the wonderfully organized stuff.

Sigh.

I hired a professional organizer once who was amazed that all of my closets and storage spaces were totally organized but the rooms themselves were a mess.

Too Much STUFF!

And I have even more stuff in storage and in my Mom's garage! YIKES! :eek:

Oh yeah, and there is an awful lot of stuff that I simply cannot find! :mad:

Sounds exactly like me! I have lots of small plastic containers with stuff. Shelves are mostly organized pretty neatly. I practice what I call vertical storage. Helps to save floor space. I still have lots of stuff that I can't find though .... I need a bigger house! With more shelves ....

This summer my boys and I will be going through our boxes of stuff that we still haven't unpacked. Maybe we will finally have a yard sale ....

Amtram
05-30-10, 08:18 AM
This is one of the things I'm trying to do as I go through and organize my house - I'm getting rid of as much stuff as I can so that I can see it all in a single glance. No boxes unless they actually hold related, essential stuff, can be labeled, and can be seen. Drawers that contain a single layer (I fold my clothes so they are vertical in my drawers, even!) and dividers in those drawers to keep things from migrating under stuff.

I have my fabric under control. (The last of it is waiting in bags to be picked up by a Freecycler.) The beads have been cleaned out in the first go-round, the second one is happening soon. The books that nobody is going to read again have been donated to libraries and schools.

The only way I can see my stuff is if it isn't hidden. Once it's hidden, I forget I have it, never use it, and accumulate more stuff (some of which is duplicates of stuff I already have. . .) I'm tired of organizing it, re-organizing it, cleaning it but not using it. . .

Krys.
05-30-10, 08:37 AM

Sigh.

:mad:

I have a whole massive stack of BOXES of just STUFF. I need desperately to purge. I don't know what's there and what's not because it's all random. I have these boxes on one wall in the living room thinking that if I see them I will go through them.... unfortunately what seems to have happened is that I've gotten used to them being there and rarely think of them at all. UGH! I WILL go through one of them today!

salleh
05-30-10, 11:13 AM
for all the watch stuff I have ....and can't get rid of I sell them !....I use those plastic towers with lots of drawers, but they are very shallow, ....no layers please.....can't see what I need in one glance, I start rooting around and sure enough I make a big mess.......

so shallow drawers.....that works for me .....( I don't mind pulling out several drawers to see which one I want, the stuff inside is already sorted ....men's oldest watch bands,metal: men's watch bands, leather......and like that .....)

vja4Him
05-30-10, 07:18 PM
This is one of the things I'm trying to do as I go through and organize my house - I'm getting rid of as much stuff as I can so that I can see it all in a single glance. No boxes unless they actually hold related, essential stuff, can be labeled, and can be seen. Drawers that contain a single layer (I fold my clothes so they are vertical in my drawers, even!) and dividers in those drawers to keep things from migrating under stuff.

I have my fabric under control. (The last of it is waiting in bags to be picked up by a Freecycler.) The beads have been cleaned out in the first go-round, the second one is happening soon. The books that nobody is going to read again have been donated to libraries and schools.

The only way I can see my stuff is if it isn't hidden. Once it's hidden, I forget I have it, never use it, and accumulate more stuff (some of which is duplicates of stuff I already have. . .) I'm tired of organizing it, re-organizing it, cleaning it but not using it. . .

I know the feeling too well .... I've finally learned to organize my clothes, although I still lose clothing sometimes. I have to constantly remind my youngest son (the one with serious ADHD) to organize his clothes and related stuff. He's always trying to find clean socks, his belt, shoes, Karate uniform .....

Yesterday when I mopped the house, guess what I found! A bunch of his missing socks under the sofa! He has five dresser drawers designated specifically only for small stuff, mostly socks and underwear, but he gets distracted .... forgets to put dirty clothes in his hamper ...

vja4Him
05-30-10, 07:20 PM
for all the watch stuff I have ....and can't get rid of I sell them !....I use those plastic towers with lots of drawers, but they are very shallow, ....no layers please.....can't see what I need in one glance, I start rooting around and sure enough I make a big mess.......

so shallow drawers.....that works for me .....( I don't mind pulling out several drawers to see which one I want, the stuff inside is already sorted ....men's oldest watch bands,metal: men's watch bands, leather......and like that .....)

I like the shallow drawers and tubs too! I just took one of my large shallow clear plastic tub down to see what was inside. Found a whole bunch of old pictures. I really like working on family history, and this will be a good project .... I need to go through the pictures and explain them all to my boys, and continue writing on the back of each picture ....

die sonne maus
01-20-11, 12:46 AM
I can't ever put things where I can't see them or else I will literally forget they're there and I can accumulate tons of crap that way. There is nothing that is out of sight. If it needs to be put away it's either put away in a clear plastic box or on a wire shelf with no doors.

It makes me very anxious to have things in drawers or boxes. Clutter makes me really nervous for some reason and if I'm in a cluttered space it's so much visual stimulation that sometimes I feel like I can't breathe. I also have an irrational fear of becoming a hoarder and the more minimal my space is, the more calm I am.

Ikea has some awesome organizational stuff. In my closet I have a metal frame that holds eight wire baskets where I put my clothes. The nicer stuff gets hung up but it frees up so much space. The wire baskets have large gaps in the mesh and you can literally see everything that's in there. I also have their "expedit" bookcase which is separated into little boxes. They're quite deep and you can easily fit rows of books three deep. What I do is I put a shoebox in the back and that elevates the back row of books so you can see their titles. I also keep other stuff in there like art supplies, computer peripherals, and office supplies but everything has their own little compartment and it's very visually pleasing.

Surly Dave
01-20-11, 12:56 AM

I have many duplicate tools because once something get 'put away', I can't find it until I've unwrapped the new one I just bought.

Pumbaa
01-25-12, 03:41 AM
I like being able to see my stuff too but then it gets so messy the clutter makes me nervous. I was so overwhelmed by the messiness of the house I would pick up for 5 minutes and throw a few things away and then feel so overwhelmed and stop. Plus all that bending over is hard on my back.

My husband went through the house and threw out a bunch of old junk and cleaned up.

I am going to have to go through my clothes because I can't find my clothes so i am wearing the same 4 outfits over and over!

This is a bad house for organizing as there are no closets in this house, none!

Makennan
02-09-12, 06:22 PM
Wow, I was about to write the exact same post. I also have to see stuff or I forget about it, but having so much clutter around the house makes me feel like I'm about to have a nervous breakdown. I have two kids who are really young and they bring home so much stuff from school, and there are reminder notes from teachers everywhere and it just all makes me so crazy. Don't even get me started on mail....

I just don't even know what to do. So overwhelming.

spunkysmum
02-10-12, 02:32 AM
Seeing all my stuff might be a visual reminder of what I have, but the truth is, if I had it all out in the open I would no longer be able to really see what's there anyway (I'd miss the trees for the forest.) I've just accepted that there are going to be things I forget I have because I have it put away. This really does not bother me unless I need something that I forget where I put it. The truth is that I don't REALLY need to know where EVERYTHING I own is at any one time. I try to put like things in one central place, like pens, pills, notepads, etc, but there are things that I don't always have an easy time categorizing and those do get dumped into catch-all containers.

The only thing that bothers me at this point about not knowing where everything I own is is that I have to worry about somebody else throwing things away on me, which I can't stand. I need to be the only person making those kinds of decisions about things that belong to me. I am very passionate about respecting personal property. And yes, I am adamant about giving other people's stuff the same respect I want given to mine.

Actually I like coming across things I forgot I had when going through boxes or containers. It's all the novelty of shopping without having to spend any money.

Lisa_Mac
02-17-12, 05:34 AM
I like those Elfa wire drawer units because they can be tucked away behind closed doors all neat and orderly, but when you open up and pull out the drawers everything is very visible. (ie. I need to see my stuff, but I don't need everyone else to see it. :()

mjoy79
03-19-12, 02:45 PM
I bought the book "ADD Friendly Ways to Organize..." about a month ago and I still haven't read it. It might be because I'm not on a stimulant right now. I hope I eventually read this book someday. Preferably before I move in June.

spunkysmum
03-19-12, 04:52 PM
I bought the book "ADD Friendly Ways to Organize..." about a month ago and I still haven't read it. It might be because I'm not on a stimulant right now. I hope I eventually read this book someday. Preferably before I move in June.

I have that book. It's one of those things I throw into a carry-all when I go out in case I get a chance to read it. LOL

Surly Dave
03-30-12, 10:37 AM
I posted on this topic last year, and a year later I have made a little progress. Last summer I had 2-20 yard dumpsters brought as I cleaned my house and garage of stuff that I 'just couldn't get rid of'. I hadn't made "Hoarders" status, but I couldn't pass on anything that was free. My saying was, "If it's Free, It's me!"

I also made weekly trips to Goodwill to drop stuff off. My wife was greatly impressed that I'd come back empty handed.

But on organizing, I am a big proponent of clear plastic bins. As I have been building shelves and putting stuff away, they are the receptacle of choice. And I try to stay away from making it to complicated: "Computer Cables" vs "USB's, Ethernet,..."

But I still live in chaos. Still have piles of stuff. They are getting smaller though. And I think I might have another dumpster brought in. Kind of funny though: The dumpster is the ultimate storage bin.

Surly Dave
03-30-12, 10:38 AM

I have that book too, but I can't find it.

dresser
12-30-12, 02:29 AM
you folks have had no problem in reading my mind and reading all of it has made me to tired to start right now,Weeeu! espesially the part about TWO of every thing (and to think I blamed my wife) silly me no excuses now lololol thank yoooz

Joker_Girl
12-30-12, 06:36 PM
At our family business, my desk is completely covered with piles of paper, notes, lists, pens, etc. It looks awful, but if people leave it alone, I can find stuff in it.
I have a basket at our house where I put bills and papers, but I don't clean it out and often forget to pay bills or lose receipts. I never remember to send in rebates.
I don't generally have dirty nasty messes, but it is always cluttery. I have too much stuff, I don't know how to make it look nice. My husband usually don't care, and my kids were even sloppier, they were kind of gross dirty dishes and clothes all over the place dirty in addition to the clutter way I am. One of our friends sometimes comes and stays with us for a few days, and he can actually clean my house so it looks nice in very little time, I am jealous of his ability to do this. We were super busy at work and he had come over for the week to help out, and was staying at our house....he went over there like an hour before we got home and had laundry folded, dishes done, vacuumed, and had tater tot casserole in the oven. I don't know how.

TazsDad
06-13-13, 09:12 PM
I'm 61 and I'm still fighting that battle. I've been trying to reduce my STUFF for several years. and Yes, I've even got empty shelves and clothes piled on my bedroom floor. Every horizontal surface has piles and piles of STUFF.

HOWEVER, there are a few things that I can find , because I ALWAYS put them in the same place. I have a key hook and I ALWAYS put my keys there. I have a messenger bag, and both my cell phones and my iPad have their very own pockets. So.... it is coming to my attention that the really important daily stuff I need, i am good with. So , the next conclusion to start working on is back to is the "how much STUFF do I NEED". And it's companion: "If I don't need it, and I can't find it ... how badly must I really WANT it???? "

I need to find the motivation for those things; the kind of motivation that keeps me sober. It is strong, and it is internal.

Thanks for this post! :)

Pat