View Full Version : Pain thresh hold.

Werl
05-30-10, 11:17 PM
I've read that people with Dyslexia have an abnormally high or low pain thresh hold. Just wondering if other dyslexics find that they have this.

meridian
05-31-10, 12:52 AM
I am voting abnormally high if only because I was dumb enough NOT to go to the ER when I had a gall bladder attack the first 7 times!

I told my GP the pain was a 9 -- meaning on the floor moaning in pain -- when I should just have said 11 and gone to the ER 10 days earlier!

Instead I wound up in CCU for 4 days, had three emergency procedures and got a $96K hospital bill for what should have been a pretty routine $2K outpatient operation.

Logic
05-31-10, 09:43 AM
I voted for 'Abnormally High' for the following reasons:

1. Walked (hobbled, hopped, skipped and jumped more like...) around on a broken knee for three days I was convinced it was just 'bruised' or that I'd pulled a ligament or something. A&E staff were amazed that I'd been wandering around with a smashed knee, and it was so badly damaged that I needed surgery to pin the joint back together... :o

2. A length of industrial thread-bar slid out of a container when one of the supporting slings snapped, causing the load to tilt and some to slide out. One length hit me in the back of the head, smashing me to the ground, leaving me unconscious for about fifteen minutes. (Kudos to all my work colleagues who ran off and left me...cheers guys!) I awoke in a pool of blood, went out in my van and did a days work delivery driving (nobody tried to stop me, even though I was covered in blood and had been knocked out for a while), came back to the depot with an empty van (the back doors were open so who knows where everything went, I have no recollection) none of my paperwork was filled out, the van was smashed like I'd driven into something, and the drivers seat was soaked with blood.
I went out to get my motorcycle and started pushing it home (about 20 miles) I got about a third of the way before the police pulled up in front of me and took me to hospital. I kept telling them that "It's not that bad" - I ended up with a plate in my skull, only a small one but still... and about 20-odd staples and various stitches to patch the skin back up. :confused: Oh yeah, and I got fired for not filling out the paperwork to say I'd damaged the van...

3. I got hit over the head with a ceramic ashtray years ago when I just started working the doors, and you could still smoke inside clubs/pubs. I was breaking up a fight and somebody decided to pick up the ashtray (ceramic ones are really heavy, they're a couple of lbs in weight) and smash it down on my head. I turned around, they were surprised it hadn't knocked me out, and I ended up choking them unconscious as the fight went to the ground. Anyway, the back of my head was split wide, and I was surprised to hear that I needed a few rows of stitches! I wanted to carry on working - I had no idea it was that bad! I can remember telling my boss that I thought he was winding me up and that sure i'd have a headache, but that i was fine! :rolleyes: I realised how bad it was when the ambulance arrived...

4. I came off a moto-cross bike when I was about 19, and completely smashed my jaw. I carried on, and even went for a McDonald's afterwards, but discovered I couldn't move my jaw very much - so I just had a milkshake instead... Eventually being persuaded to go to hospital, it was revealed to me that my jaw was broken, the roof of my mouth had split with the impact and I'd need surgery to repair it.
The staff were amazed I reported very little pain, as the damage was quite extensive. I now have a plate in the roof of my mouth, and a small 'reinforcer' along my jaw on the left side!

Logic (injury free for 97 days... :D)

doiadhd
05-31-10, 04:35 PM
I am not diagnosed or have any severe problems other than that of the adhder and reading n writing...have a very low attention span.

Suffered a lot of injuries and had to go to work with them...found most of the time i could work with injuries...my hyper-focusing on plastering ,would cause pain recepter to cease.

Broken hand
Cracked rib
Lots of twisted/sprained ankles
Shingles!
Beaten up...lots of different little injuries like balck eyes busted nose etc

Not the easiest thing to do.

The last time i broke my hand...i felt no pain at all,apart from the pain of looking at it first off...and remembering the first time...thinking 'OMG..how will i pay for rent how will i go to work'..could not even butter bread.

I refused to work with a broken hand again....so adhders do learn,from their mistakes!

Pain is interesting....with the pain compared to that of the inside-it is ticklish:)

doiadhd
06-02-10, 11:53 AM
I am not diagnosed or have any severe problems other than that of the adhder and reading n writing...have a very low attention span.

Suffered a lot of injuries and had to go to work with them...found most of the time i could work with injuries...my hyper-focusing on plastering ,would cause pain recepter to cease.

Broken hand
Cracked rib
Lots of twisted/sprained ankles
Shingles!
Beaten up...lots of different little injuries like balck eyes busted nose etc

Not the easiest thing to do.

The last time i broke my hand...i felt no pain at all,apart from the pain of looking at it first off...and remembering the first time...thinking 'OMG..how will i pay for rent how will i go to work'..could not even butter bread.

I refused to work with a broken hand again....so adhders do learn,from their mistakes!

Pain is interesting....with the pain compared to that of the inside-it is ticklish:)

I think this is down to this....

When i was 3ish...my mum took me to the docs because i was limping,the doc said i was looking for sympathy(not empathy:rolleyes:),because i had a new born brother,and that i was jealous.....( was this doc a shrink?!?!?!?!?!
i wish i had at least one parent.....yes they are both alive.)

I was limping for months.....they took me back two more times,then went to a proper doctor....were they found i had glass stuck in my foot....

AAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH:mad:

anyway.....i have had a boniyon on my left foot since i can remember,i also remember my nan saying that i never had it there as a kid.....i knew something was up....not even a sorry from either parent..

I was a keen football player....and it would kill me every day all day long,went to docs and said it is a painful proceedure and that i would most probably have to be in a wheel chair...i kept my boniyon.

I was a great football player....but could never get the hang of using my left foot for some reason...like emmense pain!!!
Can you imagine being ignored in such extreme pain?
Being told to stop crying for months?
and all this after a terrible traumatic birth.

Horrible.