View Full Version : Smartphones in general (iphone Berry etc)

rrolff
06-01-10, 03:14 PM
There's already a topic here - but I was thinking this could be very useful in general (not so specific).

The iPhone/Berry topic was somewhat lacking for me on real hard info.

I know I had an iPhone till I lost it (not good for ADDers) last week. I was getting a new one this week - but this forum got me thinking. Is an iPhonoe smart (pun not intended) for ADD...

The iPhone has way too many eye candy games. It is way to easy to get distracted (not really because of the music - just the multitude of other things).

For me it worked OK for organizing - calendars sync'd etc. But only when I plugged it into my PC - which for me didn't happen enough - so I ended up missing some calendar events.

I like the Google integration (search maps etc) - they helped a lot.

Friend has BB - it does organization I would say better - but not as easy to use (older model with QWERTY keyboard). No real distractions because it seems they don't make it as easy to get at games etc (compared to the App store for iPhone).

So, I think the iPhone is great as an enabler for time wasting {IMHO}. Please let me know if someone has a differing opinion. Maybe I was missing those great apps that help with organization etc.

The other issues ppl will have with Smart reviews is carrier - iPhone works on ATT and TMobile (if cracked and not the latest version).

Anything on Boost/Sprint/Verizon will not work on ATT and Tmobile (and vice versa).

TTFN

Arwen
06-03-10, 12:29 AM
BB is definitely less distracting than the iPhone, and I did consider getting the BB instead of the iPhone. I'm using an iPhone now and I don't regret getting it over the BB.

Personally I grew tired of the applications on iPhone... since I changed jobs and travel arrangements (no more bussing) I started to stop playing games and only use a couple key ones, the rest (games mainly) just sit there. :)

One application I use for organisation is "2Do Lite" (free version) which I have found the most useful amongst all the To Do applications.

Although HTC (desire?) now has a phone that people say is better than BB and iPhone. So that might be a good middle ground?

sarek
06-03-10, 02:17 AM
Up to now I have stayed with the Symbian OS on Nokia. Perhaps less flashy than all the other gadgetry but I find it effective and efficient.

It tracks my names, addresses, appointments and it has useful stuff like navigation on it.
The biggest danger is relying on it so much that I get lazy for real. That would create a single point of failure and once that happens mr. Murphy is right around the corner.

fraa
06-03-10, 04:19 AM
It's Symbian for me too. It's tried and proven. It might have its issues, but they're known. I couldn't get an iPhone, I need to be able to customize my phone more than it's possible with an iPhone. I need to have control of my hardware and own it, not subscribe to a service and be leased a device to access that subscription. I need VoIP, interpreters, a JVM, and so on. As for Android, all the cheaper ones are touchcreens, and I don't like touchscreens, keypad or keyboard, either way I want real keys. Ideally I'd like a Nokia n900... but it's too expensive for now. And I would be worried about forgetting/losing/damaging it all the time. I like my small, keypady, blocky Symbian phone. I'll probably get a Nokia C5 later this year, it's mostly like my current one but with better battery life and a bit more RAM.

barnops
06-03-10, 06:10 AM
Jailbreak!!!
But still doesn't fix your touchscreen phobia.

It's Symbian for me too. It's tried and proven. It might have its issues, but they're known. I couldn't get an iPhone, I need to be able to customize my phone more than it's possible with an iPhone. I need to have control of my hardware and own it, not subscribe to a service and be leased a device to access that subscription. I need VoIP, interpreters, a JVM, and so on. As for Android, all the cheaper ones are touchcreens, and I don't like touchscreens, keypad or keyboard, either way I want real keys. Ideally I'd like a Nokia n900... but it's too expensive for now. And I would be worried about forgetting/losing/damaging it all the time. I like my small, keypady, blocky Symbian phone. I'll probably get a Nokia C5 later this year, it's mostly like my current one but with better battery life and a bit more RAM.

adhdPEteacher
06-07-10, 03:27 PM
I have a palm treo pro. I got it on ebay for like 123.00
It has helped me, but I find myself playing too.
The reminders from google are great, and there are tons of things that help me stay on task. I love new stuff.
Also, I am thinking about getting the htc touch pro 2, anyone have one?

williamm
06-07-10, 03:35 PM
I have an iPhone, and I use Evernote and Reqall. I did try some GTD applications but I found the interfaces themselves to be a bit distracting or they wouldn't integrate sufficiently with my email. So, I stick to Eproductivity for Lotus Notes, and populate my errands and other not at home or work tasks into Reqall. Eventually, if I don't do a task and it becomes overdue Reqall will email and annoy the hell out of me until I get the task done.

meridian
06-07-10, 03:36 PM
Apple just announced iPhone 4! It's on their website now.

Multitasking, FaceTime (video calls over WiFi), HD video with in-phone editing, noise-canceling 2nd mic, 326ppi display, iBooks . . .

I have "Apple fever" again -- plus my original iPhone is now 3 years old! :rolleyes:

See how I can convince myself I need this thingy? :D

Jobs said they "will ship 10s of millions of FaceTime devices this year" which means to me a revised iPad and a revised iPod touch will come soon.

Sorry to blather, but I am an Apple fanboy from waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back!

oblivio
06-07-10, 06:08 PM
iPhone has been a miracle product for me. It is always there for me to check the calendar/e-mail and it carries all my phone numbers so I can do something right then rather then waiting until later and forgetting to do it.

Fun fact! If you're too lazy to record stuff like appointments from appointment cards or info from business cards into the iPhone, I just take a picture of the darn thing and that way I have it if I need it.

Marspider
06-07-10, 08:51 PM
I have an ACER smartphone F900.
http://www.acer.co.uk/acer/product.do?link=oln85e.redirect&changedAlts=&kcond48e.c2att101=-1&CRC=2759084358#wrAjaxHistory=0

My dad got it for me when he got one for himself impulsively (ADHD!) He's always getting me new gadgets. I've had 4 smartphones already. I'm dreading when he finds a new one somewhere.

It's really helpful and since it's got Windows CE, I can navigate it easily like a computer.

I put all my appointments on my calendar, I put EVERYthing I need to do, even the not so urgent stuff cause I often forget about those until they become urgent and I don't have the constant nagging anxiety of something important I have to do which I wrote in my agenda and only heaven knows where that agenda is. Or the more irritating stuff like take my backpack to get the straps fixed, so it doesn't take months and months to get things sorted out. So more things get done.

I've a permanent shopping list that I created in Excel so if I'm in a supermarket, I know what I have to get from there. Handwritten lists I lose. I find shopping lists from 10 years ago.
I have notes about body language in there so I can refer to them when I'm in social situations. Or a list about red flag behaviours for when I'm on dates.

I've tried for years to use agendas and I'll use them for a couple of weeks and forget them somewhere or forget to write in them. I think it's because I use them for just one purpose.

But I use my phone constantly so I very rarely leave it behind. And I always know where it is, I don't misplace it and it has alarms. I've downloaded songs to replace nasty beeps. So it doesn't put me in an immediate panic, it just gently reminds me.
What I really like is that the touch call and off buttons are separate from the touch screen so I don't have to fumble around like I often do. It's quite useful for a dyspraxic like myself cause it's easy to navigate. I sometimes have difficulties with touchscreens.
And if I get really really bored, I can play solitaire.

I'm not interested in the Iphone and it looks like a major distraction. I'm sure I would like it if I had one but I don't want major distractions and I'm broke :-D.

I'm so happy about the appearance of smartphones.