View Full Version : Eyesight and ADHD meds

Marspider
06-04-10, 10:22 AM
I now have to wear glasses for computer work and studying for long periods.

I had a whole bunch of eye tests I have never had before, I normally get the can you see the E or C or whatever? which I can, and have good eyesight in general but my educational psychologist assessment mentioned I could have visual stress and should get my eyes checked out which I did. I sometimes see flashes of white on pages when I'm reading.

I'm very surprised and the thought of wearing glasses has almost depressed me more than when I was diagnosed with ADHD.

But at least it's just for computers and reading, and that will make sense because I studied computer science, worked in call centres for 10 years, and I'm always on the computer.

What was also mentioned in the test is that Bupropion and methylphenidate overdilate the pupils. That I was not aware of and must have skipped over when reading the side effects, I generally panic over the cardiac bits...

Lately, I've been having difficulty with glare especially at night and I often feel I have a film that is interfering with my vision. And my eyes have become more sensitive to light so I wear sunglasses constantly even when it's cloudy. I did get sick of getting red eyes all the time.

If it improves my headaches when reading, that will be good because it's not enough that I have to battle with boredom, mental oppositional defiance, lack of focus, lack of concentration but when I do manage to suppress them, I get headaches after reading.

So anyone has experience of eyesight changes with methylphenidate, bupropion or anything else?

TygerSan
06-04-10, 05:26 PM
I've always had a slight astigmatism in my left eye (the cornea is slightly irregularly shaped) and I'm a hair farsighted. Neither of which really bothered me until I got on Adderall. All of the stimulants dilate pupils, and like a camera, when your eye is open to more light, you notice the irregularities in the lens more.

meridian
06-04-10, 08:50 PM
Presbyopia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presbyopia)

Happened to me at age 39. Been wearing glasses ever since.

20 years later, the glasses hide the circles under my eyes!

Werl
06-06-10, 04:03 AM
I've worn glasses since grade 2.

Jeannemrm
09-11-13, 11:10 AM
I'm having a lot of trouble with my eyes and it's gotten worse since they upped me from 20-25 mg adderall XR.... my understanding is that it affects the autonomic muscle controls on the eyes that have to deal with focusing the eyes, as well as can affect dilation. I am currently finding that my eyes are not dilated, but my pupils are constricted, and smaller than usual, even in lower light when on adderall, which could explain my night vision being worse as well as the feeling that I need more light to see what normally was no problem. My eyes are blurry..the computer is not so much of an issue but reading a book or anything closer up is....I have always had overly good vision, so this is a real pain in the you know what for me! it's also causing issues for me with my work, silversmithing. It also seems to be quite variable, so I'm not sure glasses will help that much.

namazu
09-11-13, 11:24 AM
In addition to dilation/constriction of the pupils, I think there have been some studies suggesting that methylphenidate (and maybe other stimulants?) could be associated with convergence or accommodation insufficiencies.

My layperson's understanding of these (and don't quote me on this!) is:

Convergence insufficiency = can't bring your eyes into focus on near stuff as easily as you should, not because of the shape of the lens as in farsightedness, but due to eye-brain-muscle signals not getting things together quite right.

Accommodation insufficiency = have trouble adjusting focus from near to far and back again, like looking from a book to a computer screen to out the window to the book, etc.

Sometimes special computer/reading glasses with prisms in them can help with convergence insufficiency and reduce eyestrain. Not sure if anything really helps with accommodation insufficiency.

someothertime
09-11-13, 11:27 AM
Not sure on the science... But definitely HAVE to use my glasses now on the computer in the evenings...

Maybe something to do with "overstressing" the muscles during the day...EDIT: or ... reading above, perhaps the convergence thingy...

EDIT2:
Prior to meds I was sensitive to daylight in a "gluggy/fuzzy" way ( I think from nocturnal living and computer use... )
Post meds -> I am always needing sunnies too.... but it's not a "gluggy" feeling anymore, just squinting and over brightness...

addthree
09-11-13, 11:33 AM
My eyes have the convergence and accommodation problems. However it was not from ADD meds. It was from taking other medication that relaxed my muscles including the eyes. I was given a set of eye exercises to complete everyday for 6 weeks and it helped. I was getting very blurry vision from a few minutes of reading. I made it through college literally with one eye open because I could not see with 2 eyes.

dvdnvwls
09-11-13, 01:05 PM
I've wondered about this myself. Thought "Oh well, mid-40's, maybe it's just aging..." - but maybe it isn't.

neewsmonth
09-11-13, 04:37 PM
My eyes have the convergence and accommodation problems. However it was not from ADD meds. It was from taking other medication that relaxed my muscles including the eyes. I was given a set of eye exercises to complete everyday for 6 weeks and it helped. I was getting very blurry vision from a few minutes of reading. I made it through college literally with one eye open because I could not see with 2 eyes.

add, could you please describe the exercises ?

can u quantify the outcome somehow ? Did the effects last ?

Illumination
09-16-13, 01:39 AM
Check out Irlen Syndrome.

dvdnvwls
09-16-13, 01:47 AM
Check out Irlen Syndrome.
Interesting. Nothing to do with me, though - my eyes have been stable and fine for 5 years or more, until now. (I do need glasses and have since I was 12, but have never had any eye difficulties other than that, and my optical prescription has always been simple, minimal, and effective.)

Illumination
09-16-13, 02:35 AM
I tried to edit my post, as I saw the thread initiation date, but was too late, sorry, my reply was intended for OP.:umm1:

425runner
10-01-13, 08:41 PM
I've been wearing glasses since 8 years old without much change but I use contacts during the day and at work. I did get dry eyes and blurry vision on Wellbutrin (buproprion). It has to do with the anti-cholinergic effect. It dries you out...including eyes.

ana futura
10-01-13, 10:04 PM
Aw man, my (already extreme) myopia has been stable for years, and I think it's been getting noticeably worse lately.

BellaVita
10-01-13, 10:05 PM
That's odd, my eyesight seems to improve with ADHD meds...and I'm very far sighted and have astigmatism. (I used to be legally blind.)

thembajohn
02-09-16, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the great amount of advice in here! I wondered what you guys ever struggle of being overstimulated with the amount of things to look at on a larger screen?

As for me I barely manage to read for long periods, my strategies are:

Tinted lenses (Irlen Syndrome)
Text-To Speech Software
Never any articifical light, but only warm light
Reading only on small screens (most reading is done on my Iphone!)
Lots of Eye Drops to keep eyes lubricated
No Stimulant medication as they dilate the pupils

Anyone else have some secret secrets I have not yet tried on this long journey?

Neuro-Smoggled
02-13-16, 10:00 PM
Do a google search on "F.Lux" and read their page. They have a free download which lets you tune down the light emitted from your computer monitor.

burger
02-14-16, 07:59 AM
You can try eye exercises to improve coordination, strength and flexibility of your eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzg94Iamm_c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8al09FHxBkY

You can try lazy eye training. Cover one eye and sit one meter from the screen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66MrXiiW428

part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCp28KYQzrE

part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6H9IsBUzyQ

part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8MJ9WfpPao

Microcurrent stimulation might work?

Apparently there's contacts you can wear at night that can reshape your eye if peoples eyes get bad enough that eye glasses can't help. Orthokeratology