View Full Version : ADHD and vitamin/mineral deficiency?

yankees440
06-12-10, 07:37 PM
Here is my experience and what iv'e learned so far after a few months taking vitamin and mineral suppliments:

Overall:
Some research suggests ADHD patients have a deficiency in certain vitamins and minerals, specifically and in no such order: Vitamin B-complex, Magnesium, Calcium, Omega fish oil (specifically EPA/DHA concentrate), Iron (be very careful not to overdose on Iron as is potentially fatal).

My daily intake:
Mega-multi vitamin once daily
Dietary supplement known as PETA (Happy, Calm, Focused) - contains important B complex vitamins and 2 specific amino acids important for neurotransmitter production and/or enhancement), 3-6 capsules daily
Dr. Sears Zone Omega/RX (EPA-1600mg, DHA- 800mg, fish oil concentrate overall- 4000mg) 4 capsules daily
Niacin (Inositol Hexanicotinate)-500mg for cholestrol once daily
Magnesium- 500mg once daily
Melatonin- 5mg once before bedtime for sleep
Acai-1000mg twice daily used as an antioxidant
Acetyl L-carnitine- 250mg 3 times daily

Prescription Meds
Adderall- 10mg 2x daily for focus, concentration
Clomipramine- 75mg 1x daily for OCD/Anxiety/Depression

Now for my overall opinion:
From my own research and expert opinion:
Vitamin B12-complex very important for optimal brain function.. seems to have helped lesson my brain fog

Omega Fish Oil- Can't stress enough the significance this has had on my overall mood; Before I started to take the fish oil, I would say I had mild depression for most of my life, now I barely if ever am depressed anymore, although I am still human and have my ups and downs like normal people.

Mega multi- Too many vitamins and minerals in it for me to say anything specific it might have helped

Niacin- Lowered my cholesterol and triglycerides considerably. Other research also shows it can help improve brain function.

Magnesium- Recently began taking it so I have come to no conclusions yet.

PETA- Seems to have helped my sleeping problems especially when waking up in the morning... For instance I used to have major problems waking up before 12PM any day of the week, now I wake up around 8AM most days of the week without alarm... This is not to say I don't go back to sleep, but the point is that I don't feel like a zombie till afternoon if I have to be up early in the AM.

Acai- Antioxidant which is good for your overall health. Everyone should be taking at least one type of antioxidant.

Melatonin- Works like magic to get me to fall asleep, otherwise I am up till 4AM.

Benedryl- Forgot to mention above. Aids me in falling to sleep at night.

Conclusion
While I am no expert on vitamin/minerals and the effect on the body, through my self research and college courses in chemistry and biology, I feel taking B vitamins and omega fish oil are very important in helping ADHD symptoms. Of course, everyone reacts differently to each type of medication, vitamin, and mineral. But it doesn't hurt to try to add vitamins to your daily schedule.

So, what are all your opinions? Do you agree, disagree, have any other tips?

Naussicaa
06-15-10, 08:59 PM
Magnesium helps me get to sleep, and helps a bit with my ADD. I was under the assumption that what you took was without medication. All drugs provide your brain with chemicals, and I suppose you're right on a lot of these. Fish oil I take irregularly, it doesn't seem to do much. I fall asleep perfectly well without melatonin though, probably because of magnesium.

barnops
06-16-10, 12:02 AM
Melatonin always knocks me on my ***...I need to put aside 10 solid hours when using it = Me not using it...

How often do you work on your computer at night/sit in front of a (LCD/Plasma) television?
I find that my computer can literally keep me awake for 30 hours, even without adderall.

I just have to force myself to shut it off and grab a book/non light emitting object (and yea, your iPhone is included in this, almost as bad as the computer monitor...)

Guess what I'm saying is that its not always an imbalance that is keeping you awake. May be some normal activity that you wouldn't think of.

I believe I read somewhere that 70% of "working" melatonin (melatonin making you tired/keeping you asleep) vacates your brain a couple seconds after your eyes are hit with light.

yankees440
06-16-10, 09:25 PM
What seems so weird about my sleeping patterns is...
40 minutes after I take Melatonin, i'm out. And I usually don't wake up until the next day usually btwen 830-12 depending on when I fall asleep at night. And if someone tries to wake me up in the morning, good luck cause i'll most likely be dead asleep. Werid, ehh?

barnops
06-17-10, 02:15 AM
What seems so weird about my sleeping patterns is...
40 minutes after I take Melatonin, i'm out. And I usually don't wake up until the next day usually btwen 830-12 depending on when I fall asleep at night. And if someone tries to wake me up in the morning, good luck cause i'll most likely be dead asleep. Werid, ehh?

That's why I don't take melatonin that often...haha

yankees440
06-17-10, 03:47 AM
Get this though, i've had trouble all my life waking up in the AM. It's like trying to wake someone up from the dead. And even if you do manage to get me up (prob like an hr for me), I am grouchy and still half asleep for another 4 hrs!

elliejan
06-17-10, 09:35 AM
How often do you work on your computer at night/sit in front of a (LCD/Plasma) television?
I find that my computer can literally keep me awake for 30 hours, even without adderall.

I just have to force myself to shut it off and grab a book/non light emitting object (and yea, your iPhone is included in this, almost as bad as the computer monitor...)

My psychiatrist does a lot of research in sleep & sleep disorders. He HIGHLY recommends http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/ . It offers a free download that changes the lighting on your computer screen to fit the time of day. Brighter blue hues for morning and daytime & more red hues for evening & nighttime. There is a ton of research on sleep and colors/lighting so you can look that up too. I am not on the computer much at night so I have never had a problem but my dad loves it. He would be up all night on the computer and never get tired, crash around 2am and struggle the next day getting up. Now he can still enjoy some computer time and fall asleep at a decent hour.

Marcia<!-- /firstHeading --><!-- bodyContent -->

qanda
06-18-10, 03:56 AM
There is also website that sells these yellow colored glasses that you wear at night to block out the colors (I think it's the color blue) of light that prevent your body from producing melatonin. These colors come from your light bulbs and your TV/computer. I can't remember the website, maybe blue something. I bought some for my daughter but she would not use them. Things looked pretty much the same when I tried them, not too much of an annoyance with color distortion.