View Full Version : Tic of the day...

Logic
06-15-10, 06:55 AM
Yesterday I spent the majority of the day 'snorting' - which made me incredibly embarrassed in the shop as there was a large lady walking in front of me and she turned around at gave me this angry look at one point as I kept snorting, she obviously thought I was making fun of her, I didn't know what to say so I just looked at the floor and tried to avoid her in the aisles as I walked around with my shopping cart snorting :o, and today I'm making a gesture like I'm poking my finger at something (imagine like you're pressing a doorbell or something). I'll make the gesture three/four times in a row (stabbing motion) and then that's it until it happens again.

Feel free to add your own "Tic of the day" to this if you want.

Logic

Logic
06-16-10, 08:38 PM
today's Tic of the Day: I've done something to my left hand, unsure whether or not it's just sprained or broken (I broke it last year and it feels alarmingly similar)... anyway, I'm trying to avoid moving my hand as it hurts when I flex the palm, and specifically moving the index and middle finger - so what's happening now... I can't stop making a rapid wrist flick with my left arm, that's shocking my already dodgy hand... it's very sore.

I intend to 'sleep' on it, and if I wake up with it just as sore as it is now, I know then that it's probably broken and not merely sprained. This is annoying, when somebody says "quiet" I yelp or bang on something making a loud noise, and if somebody says "careful not to knock that over" what do I do? knock it over that's what! I swear my brain hates me... :rolleyes:

All day I literally had three or four little twitches, and maybe one 'biggie' that involved the old favouite the neck/shoulder shrug (that apparently makes me look like I'm trying to headbutt my shoulder...) and as soon as I hurt my hand, and I tell myself to be careful and not to forget that its sore before I bump into something or attempt to lift something up with that hand... I'm suddenly making this wild gesture that serves only to irritate me and hurt myself.

Logic :confused:

Logic
06-17-10, 10:28 AM
Well, my hand isn't broken, I went to the Doc this morning and given my past history of presenting with things that I report as being "just sore" and them turning out to be broken... he sent me for an x-ray just to be on the safe side.
He seems to think it's something called 'median nerve dysfunction' caused through impact trauma to the hand... it did happen during martial arts practice (even if i'm not sure at what exact point) and I was hitting and striking, so it's only fair to assume that's how it happened.

Anyway, he wanted to splint it to prevent this wrist flick action from causing further pain, but I've got to work tonight and all weekend (and also a splint would prevent me from playing on my xbox...) I said it would probably settle, and that I could deal with the pain seen as it was only transient and would likely subside over the next couple of days. If if had been broken, then there's no question that I would have allowed him to splint it, health comes first after all.

Anyway, I digress off my own topic :)
Todays tic of the day, is pretty much the same as yesterday - the sudden wrist flicking motion that is still causing me some anguish and discomfort, but at least i've got a sense of humour about it (have to admit that I didn't laugh when I splilled hot coffee all over the kitchen walls/surfaces this morning though when I 'flicked' whilst holding a mug...)

Logic

Logic
06-20-10, 04:21 PM
Knee flexing, whether sitting (by kicking my leg out straight to lock the joint) or standing (tensing the joint and hyperextending it - quite sore after a whole day of doing it).

*sigh* Getting a bit sick of constant movement - I just want to be still.

Logic

Logic
06-22-10, 07:41 PM
Lots of sniffing, and sharp breaths out through my nose (lots meaning like perhaps 10 or more little breaths in a row). Makes me look like I'm having a mild allergic reaction to something, or shallow sneezing.

Logic

danelady
06-22-10, 08:02 PM
Just wanna say sorry to hear about your wrist..hope it heals ok.

Werl
06-23-10, 12:49 PM
When I sit for longer than 30 seconds, I usually start shaking my leg.

Logic
06-23-10, 05:53 PM
Today it's all about arm movement... flicking, twisting, tensing, shrugging.
Left arm seems to be more afflicted than the right. I went running this morning and noticed that while i was running, the 'tics' went away completely in my right arm, and pretty much went away (just one or two 'flicks' as i went along) in the left - so much better while running.

Came back as I made my way home though, so only limited relief.

Logic

Logic
06-29-10, 08:42 AM
Yesterday and today, I've been making a hissing noise, by pressing my tongue up against the back of my front teeth and forcing air through in short little bursts, that along with copious amounts of shrugging, and flinching.

Logic

doiadhd
06-29-10, 09:03 AM
My eyes threaten to spasm,but i choose to ignore,as soon as we think of it,or concentrate/worry it will commence,they winking when people say/mention something i dont want to react to...the old eyeball starts to warn me.

I'd get these mostly when over tired,not so much anymore,but the bugger keeps threatening me.

A bit like tooth ache for me.....when the pain barrier gets too much we end up ignoring the pain...subconsciously-if i have a conversation about tooth ache or meet someone with tooth ache-it comes back.

So ignorance can be bliss....well until the rotted nerve ending will climb into my brain and attack the pain receptors-there's a war on.

Come on you reds!
(blood cells.)

Willy Smithy-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8snaaMTiVM

Just read through yur thread Logic and i get the wrist/shoulders head butting shoulders...always thought it was because of work,but nowadays i have not worked as hard as i used to...no where near,in fact quite the opposite,but still get all these tics.....

Funny it never bothered me when i done it after work,the neck shoulder and wrists....because it felt so good.

It may be to do with weights,tightened muscles,naturally and i know you get involved with the work outs and are very dedicated to it...do you ever think of mixing it up with yoga/stretches at the end?

(i had a broken hand last year and your wrist story reminds me of it,especially the dull pain and the taking off the splint,i was pointing constantly with the two fingers,index and middle.......i had to use my middle finger as index.also i think that if we do receive damage to the body we get an equal and opposite reaction in the brain,specific to that region of body.....as pianists use this finger instead(i think,and has repercussions on the brain function(slight?not sure).

hope it all heels well,do you think your tics have anything to do with the new/old injury?
(i had broken my hand before...and the F not again feeling was immense/embarrassing all that.)

Logic
06-29-10, 09:37 AM
It may be to do with weights,tightened muscles,naturally and i know you get involved with the work outs and are very dedicated to it...do you ever think of mixing it up with yoga/stretches at the end?

I always warm up and warm down, lots of stretching, flexing, relaxing etc. i'm quite flexible for somebody who lifts heavy, I can do full splits, kick above my head, and bend almost in two (can get elbows on the floor if i'm standing), I lift, but devote a lot of my time to martial arts, and through that I've developed flexibility alongside the strength. Useful.

do you think your tics have anything to do with the new/old injury?

No, not really, although, I know that the tics are related to it only because I was aware that I had injured it. Like if I was told I was forbidden to touch my ear (couldn't think of a good example), that I would probably develop a tic/urge to touch or make contact with my ear... my brain likes to do these things to me. I've dipped my hand in boiling water in a pan because I was told by my mother "Don't stand so close, you'll get it splashed on you..." and I almost immediately stuck my hand in the pan... It's really hard to explain, it's not because I want to, it's because I dont want to, if that makes any sense at all?

Head injury perhaps... they've been worse/more severe since a serious head injury, but there again, everything has been worse since then.

Logic :cool:

EshkaronsEngine
06-29-10, 09:38 AM
I keep on nodding my head when I watch tv.

doiadhd
06-29-10, 01:57 PM
I always warm up and warm down, lots of stretching, flexing, relaxing etc. i'm quite flexible for somebody who lifts heavy, I can do full splits, kick above my head, and bend almost in two (can get elbows on the floor if i'm standing), I lift, but devote a lot of my time to martial arts, and through that I've developed flexibility alongside the strength. Useful.

That kinda makes you a machine...in a good way.

I got Big once but could not maintain what i was up to at work gym soccer sex.....and ended up getting fatigued,shingles that made me fall asleep at work and pass out...so am more lean than muscular when i do,motivate myself.Very hard to maintain,but know you have sussed it,as i now drink a protein drink:)

Meaning to do it for a v.long time....but never got round to it,then you told me about the protein drink and triggered my impulse to tell my partner,who forgets everything i say,because it is a lot,a death person would tell me to shut up-its that much...(could not think of a good one either.)...a commercial came on for discount stuff,it's been here for over a week...and feels good to drink-i feel the energies!:)

No, not really, although, I know that the tics are related to it only because I was aware that I had injured it. Like if I was told I was forbidden to touch my ear (couldn't think of a good example), that I would probably develop a tic/urge to touch or make contact with my ear... my brain likes to do these things to me. I've dipped my hand in boiling water in a pan because I was told by my mother "Don't stand so close, you'll get it splashed on you..." and I almost immediately stuck my hand in the pan... It's really hard to explain, it's not because I want to, it's because I dont want to, if that makes any sense at all?

I know what you mean...when i called the teacher big-*its,she were'nt impressed,she said i could say what ever i wanted.

I am not aware at the time and not alot after the times this happens to me...it covers a variety of lifes hurdles,when meeting people or anything,i feel i get more aware of it as i get older,definitely since being here,it has spl-it my head in half.

Head injury perhaps... they've been worse/more severe since a serious head injury, but there again, everything has been worse since then.

Sorry to here that Logic,and surprise i can relate,except i'm not sure if i did or did not change,i did for a long while,but not sure if i have ever been the same since....i think we change a lot as we grow up,and the stages get confusing,i always feel the same though,just dont look it-if that makes sense..

Not nice to remember and hope you are over the worst of it and hopefully all of it.

Logic
06-30-10, 05:05 PM
Quite a violent movement today; you know when somebody sneezes when they're standing up and their torso bucks forwards? Well, it's a lot like that, only I'm not sneezing, it's just the movement.
A lot of foot stamping too.

Logic

Logic
07-03-10, 12:58 PM
Thousands and thousands of small chest flexes and twitches, makes me look like I'm going to start convulsing if they get any worse... all last night at work and so far, all of today. I can see them being around for a while.

Logic

ZiggyFry
07-20-10, 02:51 AM
I've been banging the pinky of my mouse hand on my desk whenever I've been on the computer.

It's led to quite the interesting callus.

Sin.Ziggy.

EshkaronsEngine
07-20-10, 12:19 PM
I've been playing with this rat's nest all morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkYvya1t1Uw

mADD mike
07-20-10, 02:00 PM
I'll chime in. When I get really tired my tics get more uncontrolled. Lately it's been a lot of winking with my right eye, and the muscles have started drawing up the right side of my mouth as well. It is freaking fantastic, and gives me wonderful headaches as I keep winking or squinting and feeling eyelashes stick together.

Oh, and did I mention that I shake my head left to right (as if saying no) quite hard? That's fun too.

I hate tics. I've got to get more sleep and work less so that I can keep better control of them. I'll never be able to stop them, but I can keep them less severe.

Let me add that I'm very sorry for anyone else here that has to deal with this stuff. It gets really old, and I feel for you.

ZiggyFry
07-20-10, 09:11 PM
winking or squinting and feeling eyelashes stick together.

Congratulations! This has been the inspiration for my newest tic.

I picked this one up as soon as I read that haha

Sin.Ziggy.

mADD mike
07-21-10, 11:01 PM
Congratulations! This has been the inspiration for my newest tic.

I picked this one up as soon as I read that haha

Sin.Ziggy.

Ah man, that sucks! I hate to contribute to the tics of others. I've had someone mention one or noticed someone doing something that I've done before and had it trigger it again. That's not fun at all. Sorry if this one is bugging you now. I've had it off and on for a long time, but lately it has gotten so much worse because I've been so exhausted from working all the time. I hope it gets better if I rest. We'll see.

Logic
07-22-10, 09:53 AM
I've had someone mention one or noticed someone doing something that I've done before and had it trigger it again

:) There's a guy at work that thinks it's funny to mimic me when I get a bad one, and that's usually enough to set me off with another one... He mimics me, waits for me to do it again, and I always say something like "no more right now" or "doing that wont work", but I always end up having another tic, much to his delight...

I sometimes catch people in places like supermarkets, or anywhere that's pretty packed with people - somebody will notice me twitch or flinch and copy me (i hope they're just pointing it out to the people they're with and not making fun of me...) and seeing them do it can set me off again. Very embarrasing. :o

Logic

mADD mike
07-22-10, 07:48 PM
:) There's a guy at work that thinks it's funny to mimic me when I get a bad one, and that's usually enough to set me off with another one... He mimics me, waits for me to do it again, and I always say something like "no more right now" or "doing that wont work", but I always end up having another tic, much to his delight...

I sometimes catch people in places like supermarkets, or anywhere that's pretty packed with people - somebody will notice me twitch or flinch and copy me (i hope they're just pointing it out to the people they're with and not making fun of me...) and seeing them do it can set me off again. Very embarrasing. :o

Logic

1. That's horrible, that people treat you like that.

2. I'd have one less coworker after I went through a tic of just having to kick his @#$.:D

3. The people that SHOULD be embarrassed are the idiots that think it is funny or cool to mimic you, that they don't have any better manners or social skills than to do such.

Logic
07-26-10, 03:04 PM
The guy I work with, he does it (mimics me) because he thinks its funny to have a tic, not because he's genuinely spiteful and trying to hurt me.
I suggested to him that its not funny after 20 years of living with it, although I can see if from the perspective of everyone else and to some extent that it may appear funny.

Anyway, I've had a muscle in my thigh thats been twitching all day, it's not really been a problem and it's not sore or anything. It's just annoying.

Logic

Logic
07-28-10, 05:28 PM
Really wierd one today where I throw my arm straight up above my head or out at an angle. Had this a few times in the car and it looked like I was punching the roof.
No idea what kicked this off. Hope it goes away soon though as I've already thrown the remote control across the room twice tonight and almost scolded myself with a mug of tea...

Logic

Werl
07-29-10, 04:39 PM
Not to be mean, but I kind of like seeing the interesting problems you seem to have and the situations you get into.

I'm sorry if this bothers you Logic and others. But I just had to tell you.

Logic
07-29-10, 04:51 PM
Doesn't bother me :). I guess you're in the same boat as that guy I work(ed) with. He thinks its interesting and funny to some extent as all he sees is the 'comedy' side of the disorders I live with.
I appreciate the humour in some things too, but not often enough to make me enjoy having any of these things wrong with me.

Logic

Werl
07-29-10, 10:00 PM
I don't find it funny. Think of it as a tv show. You can't wait for the next episode.

ZiggyFry
08-07-10, 11:26 PM
Not to be mean, but I kind of like seeing the interesting problems you seem to have and the situations you get into.

I don't blame you a bit :D

I blurted out "pixie pop" while handing money to the cashier at a drugstore. No idea where THAT one came from.

I offered no other explanation but "I assure you I'm not insane." :D

I merrily walked out of the store and continued on with my day.

Sin.Ziggy.

Logic
08-24-10, 05:31 PM
Bear with me... the set-up makes reading it all worthwhile:

I've been working on a building site at night as site security (whilst i'm still temporarily suspended from working on the doors... long story :() and I've been out there sometimes with another guy, like on weekends when there's more kids out drinking and trying to break into the buildings on site, and sometimes on my own during the week.
There's a little site office, located in one of the derelict buildings - it is as creepy as it sounds and it's pitch black dark at night out in the middle of nowhere.

My first night out there I went rummaging in the other buildings that are due to get torn down and found an old CRT TV (quite big I think it's a 32" one) and precariously brought it back to the 'security' office - it worked which was a bonus, so I've been taking out my old ps2 to help pass the time in between patrols... anyway, you get the picture: it's pitch black dark, there are no lights anywhere on the site except for inside the building that the security office is located in. The site is HUGE, almost a square hectare, and one foot patrol takes almost 45 minutes.

My boss left some torches on the desk in the security office, which was a bonus seen as I've been creeping around the site using a LED head torch that wasn't very good up til then.
The torches weren't that good, I joked with another guy that I bet out boss got them from a pound shop 'two for a pound' of something as they were next to useless. I may as well have used a tea-light candle inside an old style lantern to see my way through the site...

I fell into a ditch on my first night, walked into a fence the second, and nearly fell into a massive hole that had appeared overnight on the third... I decided that I would take my own equipment to work with me: A 4D Cell Mag-Lite torch (also doubles up as a baton just in case :p), and seen as nobody was turning up to check that we were wearing the 'correct' uniform I was wearing my black combat trousers, black wool pullover over my white shirt and a jeep-cap instead of the standard white ****e, black tie get-up.

Everything was going well until I found a small stream running along one side of the site, and discovered a hole in the fence that ran along side it.
I figured "If i can fit through that hole, so could anybody else" so I went through it and proceeded to get wet in the stream as I picked about in the murky blackness to see if anybody else had ever come through that way.

I found a stash of beer cans and slightly more disturbing, a few discarded needles. I went back to the site through the hole in the fence and decided that was how people were gaining access to the site. I would show my colleague as soon as I could; I went back to the office and got the other guy, driving around to the hole in the fence in the car to show him quickly.

As I was showing him, and pointing/gesturing with the torch - my arm flicked out and I threw my torch away... gutted. I went looking for it, but couldn't find it. I had to shell out almost 30 pounds for a new one - this time I bought a lanyard to connect it to me so I cant chuck it away. :o
I also broke one of the rubbishy torches the same way, throwing one across the yard as I walked back the following night - clearly not as rugged as a mag-lite as it broke into bits immediately.
If only I had chucked the cheap torch down the ditch into the stream and bounced my mag-lite across the yard, at least the mag-lite would've survived getting flung to the floor.

I also punched the toaster off the worktop and now there's a big dent in it - one side doesn't toast anymore. Half is warm bread, the other gets toasted.

Oh well, next shift thursday... lets see what else I can break.

Logic

ZiggyFry
08-24-10, 09:08 PM
Haha nice story, Logic.

I was listening to npr and just found this. It's not really worth it's own thread, but I found it hilarious. It's a man talking about him and his daughter, both with tourettes.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=95899434

He says playfully: "She started slapping her right cheek five times in a row whenever she was happy. "Get rid of that one!" I yelled from the kitchen. "Find something more pacifist for christ sake!"

Sin.Ziggy.

Logic
08-29-10, 08:11 PM
Just noticed I was *'d out above for mis-spelling 'shirt' and obviously missed out the 'r' and stuck an 'e' on the end for whatever reason.
I'm blaming it on tapping the keyboard extra times when I'm typing (I proopf read pretty michch everythin g o type as i have a habit of strijing thek eyboard and addung in exctra letterrs/>numbers /symbopls as I type - adn i've deliberately not alterfd this s enstance so you cans ee what i'm talki ng about)

Does that qualify as a 'tic' thing because I've always done that ever since I learned to type on a keyboard... hmm...

Logic

ZiggyFry
08-30-10, 09:27 PM
Haha I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Your example was a little too good :rolleyes: But I know sometimes my pinky goes crazy on the semicolon while I'm typing. Still no keyboard coprolalia for me, though. :D

Sin.Ziggy.

Logic
08-30-10, 11:24 PM
I was trying to type 'shirt' and instead it came out '****e' and got *'d because of it! :o

And yes, I realise that typing it again will result in the same thing happening... :rolleyes: it's an example...

Logic

ZiggyFry
09-04-10, 11:27 PM
For the past couple days, one of my earliest tics has started to come back. I'm hoping it's not going to stay long. Any time I shut a cupboard/fridge/door, I've got to jump. I've got to be in the air when it closes.

Haha it's not the most bothersome one, but I imagine it makes me look absolutely crazy. I suspect starting college had a hand in this.

Sin.Ziggy.

Logic
09-06-10, 11:57 AM
I've been throwing stuff to the floor all day... I broke my favourite coffee cup, I broke a cereal bowl, and clattered the dogs metal water dish off a tiled floor (luckily the tiles didn't crack). I've got my laptop on the floor and I'm having to sit on the floor to use it - just in case.

I tried sitting in a chair, but then my knee is jerking up and down so that's not safe either. The knee thing is a muscle spasm, feels like lots of little cramps so I feel the need to move my leg, but throwing stuff feels like a mild electric shock, resulting in a rapid, unstoppable motion.

I need to find a replacement 'simpsons' mug with the same witty slogan on it... *sigh*

Work will be interesting tomorrow if this doesn't go away. There's not much left in the office to break though (I even managed to break a plate glass window, but it's only cracked, not completely broken...yet)

Logic

Werl
09-06-10, 06:35 PM
If you do find your mug, you should buy several at once.

Logic
09-07-10, 03:20 PM
I hardly ever have vocal tics, but I've been making a high pitched whining sound intermittently all day - never really noticed until now, I caught myself doing it a few times throughout the day but there's probably lots of times where I just fail to pick up on what I'm doing.
It was pointed out to me by the guy I'm stuck on a 12 hour shift with. He asked: "why do you keep making that noise?" and I naturally replied; "What noise?"

He domonstrated for me what I've been doing, and I'm now very aware of it.
I'm doing it a lot. It's even annoying me now.

Logic

ZiggyFry
09-07-10, 03:31 PM
I just fail to pick up on what I'm doing.
It was pointed out to me by the guy I'm stuck on a 12 hour shift with. He asked: "why do you keep making that noise?" and I naturally replied; "What noise?

I get that a lot with people I go to the movies with. I get caught up with the movie, and I don't realize I'm doing it constantly until someone points it out to me.

Sin.Ziggy.

GIRLinterrupted
11-20-10, 04:56 AM
The guy I work with, he does it (mimics me) because he thinks its funny to have a tic, not because he's genuinely spiteful and trying to hurt me.
I suggested to him that its not funny after 20 years of living with it, although I can see if from the perspective of everyone else and to some extent that it may appear funny.

Anyway, I've had a muscle in my thigh thats been twitching all day, it's not really been a problem and it's not sore or anything. It's just annoying.

Logic

Nobody was born perfect, surely you could follow this person around and search out his flaws as well.

I don't let this kinda stuff bother me, life is far too short!

ZiggyFry
02-15-11, 11:46 PM
Usually people don't comment on any vocal tics (or any at all for that matter) unless they're saying something along the lines of "What's that?" or "Are you having a seizure or something?"

It usually gets a bit awkward when someone mentions it and I'm trying to decide the best course of action. I'm a bit uncomfortable saying "I have tourettes" unless it's absolutely necessary. Today was one of those few moments where it didn't get weird, but I actually laughed out loud (in an almost silent classroom, by the way) when someone described a series of quiet nose/throat tics as "stealth-beatboxing" :cool:

Sin.Ziggy.