View Full Version : Anyone else have sleep problems like me?

coyfish
06-16-10, 12:50 AM
So im a 1st year med student who has just started taking vyvanse as of 6 weeks ago. One of the things that pushed me to pursue medication was my trouble sleeping. Not that a stimulant will help, but just the realization of how hyped my brain is all the time. I wake up at 7AM and go to bed at 12. I am an avid weightlifter and I also love tennis. Whenever I can I exercise. Despite all this I have lots of difficulty sleeping. I am a VERY light sleeper. My cat digging litter in the laundry room across my apartment wakes me up as does basically any distinct noise. The main problem is falling asleep though. It takes me over an hour to fall asleep . . . often times 2-3. Sometimes I never really fall asleep and I just drone in and out all night. In the morning I feel fine but it's just frustrating dealing with the issue every night. Not getting that quality REM sleep most definitely has its consequences though. Maybe even many of my concentration issues.

I can't "shut off." My head keeps jumping / thinking about all sorts of crap. Anyone else struggle / have advise ?

M3zus
06-16-10, 03:05 AM
I am in almost the exact same situation as you, except for the cat part.
Just done with 1st year med school, started vyvanse 1 month ago, can't turn my head off to go to sleep.
Once I go to sleep I usually don't wake up, though.

behindasusual
06-16-10, 05:02 AM
Funny stumbling across this right now. It's currently almost 5 in the morning where I am. I got into bed at 1. Before bed I drank hot non-caffeinated tea, stretched, laid in bed and read a book... Made sure to turn every single light off so my room was pitch black, and then attempted a "yoga for sleep" pose for ten or so minutes that was supposed to help me relax and fall asleep. As you can tell, that worked wonderfully for me.
Coyfish, I have the same problem... my mind just will not shut off. Sometimes I feel like it's more restful to just stay awake and get stuff done than it is to sleep & M3zus, I'm the same way with not being able to wake up once I've finally dozed off. Do you also have to set an insane number of alarms in order to wake up (and sometimes that doesn't even work)?

barnops
06-16-10, 05:46 AM
Funny stumbling across this right now. It's currently almost 5 in the morning where I am. I got into bed at 1. Before bed I drank hot non-caffeinated tea, stretched, laid in bed and read a book... Made sure to turn every single light off so my room was pitch black, and then attempted a "yoga for sleep" pose for ten or so minutes that was supposed to help me relax and fall asleep. As you can tell, that worked wonderfully for me.
Coyfish, I have the same problem... my mind just will not shut off. Sometimes I feel like it's more restful to just stay awake and get stuff done than it is to sleep & M3zus, I'm the same way with not being able to wake up once I've finally dozed off. Do you also have to set an insane number of alarms in order to wake up (and sometimes that doesn't even work)?

Non caffinated tea/coffee still can contain up to 4% of its original caffeine content. May not sound like a lot, but it could be whats keeping you up.

(but of course, here I am, 245 MY time wide awake.)

As for the waking up ordeal, I need to have my alarm on a high volume, but it will typically wake me up. If I don't set one however, I can easily sleep for 10-12 hours. (Before medication I typically only slept 5-6 hours.)

coyfish
06-16-10, 05:28 PM

Waking up is no problem for me :). In fact i have this sick / annoying ability to wake up when I need to. Its mind blowing. I wake up and grab my phone (alarm clock) and find that its about 10 minutes away from going off. This happens very often. Sometimes I wake up a couple hours early in the morning before I head to school and the same thing happens. Grab my phone to find that its about 4:50 (I wake up at 7).

twisty
06-16-10, 05:36 PM
I have horrible problems with sleep. I dread having to go to bed and I tend to stay up as late as I can just so I'm so unbearably tired that I have to go to sleep. I'm on a sleeping pill, but sometimes that doesn't help at all. I'l lay there for and hour or two, sometimes even four and just think. I'll roll around, sit up and just think. Sometimes I'll play a game on my iPod touch or something and try and calm down but nothing works. I think my biggest problem is that I can just lay down and shut my eyes long enough for me to drift off into sleep.

It's difficult sometimes and when I really need to sleep, it's even worse and I can't.

insight needed
06-16-10, 06:28 PM
Coyfish, have you tried a loud box fan, an air filter/cleaner or a sound machine that produces "white noise"? I'm a light sleeper and this helps a lot with blotting out those sudden sounds that tend to wake me up. I'm so used to sleeping with my air cleaner on that I think it also helps a bit with going to sleep--I sort of zone out on the sound and fall asleep (sometimes....)

yankees440
06-17-10, 12:09 AM
I have horrible problems with sleep. I dread having to go to bed and I tend to stay up as late as I can just so I'm so unbearably tired that I have to go to sleep. I'm on a sleeping pill, but sometimes that doesn't help at all. I'l lay there for and hour or two, sometimes even four and just think. I'll roll around, sit up and just think. Sometimes I'll play a game on my iPod touch or something and try and calm down but nothing works. I think my biggest problem is that I can just lay down and shut my eyes long enough for me to drift off into sleep.

It's difficult sometimes and when I really need to sleep, it's even worse and I can't.

Have you by any chance tried taking 75mg of benedryl to relax and 2.5-5mg of melatonin? Usually those two alone have helped me tremendously over the past couple years, otherwise i'd be up till 5am every night.
I forgot to mention that I take seroquel, which also helps me get to sleep.

barnops
06-17-10, 02:11 AM
Waking up is no problem for me :). In fact i have this sick / annoying ability to wake up when I need to. Its mind blowing. I wake up and grab my phone (alarm clock) and find that its about 10 minutes away from going off. This happens very often. Sometimes I wake up a couple hours early in the morning before I head to school and the same thing happens. Grab my phone to find that its about 4:50 (I wake up at 7).

Oh man, I do that too!
Even though I have a tough time waking up, if I go to bedthinkong actively about waking up at a certain time, I usually wake up 5 minutes before my alarm goes off.

coyfish
06-17-10, 09:21 PM
Coyfish, have you tried a loud box fan, an air filter/cleaner or a sound machine that produces "white noise"? I'm a light sleeper and this helps a lot with blotting out those sudden sounds that tend to wake me up. I'm so used to sleeping with my air cleaner on that I think it also helps a bit with going to sleep--I sort of zone out on the sound and fall asleep (sometimes....)

No but thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about that and im going to try it. Ill download some and play it on my computer. I have tried sleeping with rainfall but that has too many distinct noises. I will also try studying with white noise. Need to get a good comfy set of headphones though.

insight needed
06-17-10, 09:39 PM
No but thanks for the tip. I have been thinking about that and im going to try it. Ill download some and play it on my computer. I have tried sleeping with rainfall but that has too many distinct noises. I will also try studying with white noise. Need to get a good comfy set of headphones though.

I'm with you that nature CD's (or downloads) like rainfall, have too many distinct noises. I find that what works best for me is a constant, unchanging noise. Second best is the sound of surf; though it changes, it has a rhythm that that is very relaxing. Sometimes visualizing the surf while listening to the sound is helpful. I also try to focus on, and time my breathing to the rhythm of the waves. It can help to turn off the thoughts that seem to go round and round.

Krys.
06-17-10, 11:08 PM
I don't have much trouble getting to sleep. On the occasion I do, a cup or two of coffee will work just about every time. I find caffeine to have a very calming effect all the way around.

Werl
06-17-10, 11:49 PM
Same here.

If you have an iPod touch or iPhone get the app "mindwave" It really works. It took me many hours to fall asleep, now I can sleep after 15 minutes some days, but never more than an hour.

coyfish
06-18-10, 12:30 PM
Thanks werl / insight. I am going to sleep with white noise tonight ! I will let you know how it goes. I slept in until about 10:30 today too so well see.