View Full Version : Daily De-Clutter.... Wednesday, June 16th

Krys.
06-16-10, 11:48 AM
Hello There :),
Yes I'm attempting to get this going yet again! There have been several days I've almost posted but then over thought it all and didn't. How do you over think a de-clutter post? Well I'll tell ya.... 2 ways actually.... 1 being that I tend to post other housework stuff too and I wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. 2 being that most days, I know I need to declutter something but when it comes to de-cluttering, I rarely know beforehand where I want to start which makes it hard to post about it before I do it.

Today I've already gotten started. We have a "spare room" that I'm DETERMINED to get turned into something other than a junk/storage room. I went in there last night and found that the floor and walls were hiding. :o So, I got busy. NOW, so far there is probably 9 -12 square feet of floor showing (hey it's more than was there yesterday :cool:) I have laundry piled/stacked against one wall and boxes of all sorts of random stuff against another wall.

My "plan" (such an evil word) is to sort/put away the contents of 1 box each day as well as filling up at least 1 laundry basket with clothes and doing the same. The laundry by the way, is all clean. It's a hodgepodge mix of my clothes, hubby's clothes, winter clothes, random clothes (sheets, hats, gloves, coats/jackets, sewing material, etc) stuff the kids have outgrown, stuff the kids haven't grown into yet..... Well, you get the idea. It's going to be a challenge but I'm confident that I can do it. Today when I was working in there I caught myself starting to go through a box of pictures.... had to remind myself what I was doing in there and put them down. I was proud of that.... Much better than the hour I would have normally wasted looking through them :D lol

The real challenge lies in keeping the rest of the house tidy while I work on this. Historically, when I undertake a large housework project like this, I put all my energy into it and neglect the rest of the house until it's done. I REFUSE to do that this time. Yep, flat refuse. As long as I ONLY do one box and one basket of laundry and then do my regular housework chores it should be fine. After my other chores are done I can do another box. I have this tendency of planning/saying/thinking I'm just going to do one box and not sticking with it. We shall see how this will all play out.

What's up with anybody else? Big plans? Little Plans? Any plans? Have a WONDERFUL Wednesday.
Krys.

meridian
06-16-10, 12:47 PM
I got a strange email this morning from some blooger I subscribe to (I think) . . .

It said, "Just blast through it!" with a link

and the link was to an obituary in a Boston paper for a 65 year old man.

I suppose meaning you can't count on having 10 or 20 or 30 more years (I'll be 60 in October) so like the Nike ads say "Just do it!"

We'll see if that works!

Krys., where did this quote come from? I really like it.
"When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change."

Krys.
06-16-10, 01:31 PM
I got a strange email this morning from some blooger I subscribe to (I think) . . .

It said, "Just blast through it!" with a link

and the link was to an obituary in a Boston paper for a 65 year old man.

I suppose meaning you can't count on having 10 or 20 or 30 more years (I'll be 60 in October) so like the Nike ads say "Just do it!"

We'll see if that works!

Krys., where did this quote come from? I really like it.
I hope you aren't suggesting you're getting.....old! According to my oldest, to be "old" you have to meet 2 criteria: You must be over the age of 60 and your hair must be completely gray. :)

As for the quote.... I like it too (obviously) It's a quote I heard Dr. Wayne Dyer use (author & speaker in the field of self development). on a PBS special that I got to see part of. I hope to see the whole thing one of these days.

meridian
06-16-10, 02:27 PM
I hope you aren't suggesting you're getting.....old! According to my oldest, to be "old" you have to meet 2 criteria: You must be over the age of 60 and your hair must be completely gray. :)

As for the quote.... I like it too (obviously) It's a quote I heard Dr. Wayne Dyer use (author & speaker in the field of self development). on a PBS special that I got to see part of. I hope to see the whole thing one of these days.

Of course! Wayne Dyer.

I saw that "Excuses Be Gone" PBS special where he specifically referenced that he'd borrowed a few of the ideas for that book from his friend and teacher Byron Katie which of course sent me to find out who SHE is!. Glad I did.

I turn 60 in October and my hair is far more salt than pepper these days! :eek:

stef
06-16-10, 04:19 PM
no decluttering for me today unfortunately...
I just checked who this wayne dyer is.
(kind of worried, I orginally thought he was that scientology guy!)

Krys.
06-17-10, 08:25 AM
Wayne Dyer is awesome. He makes some great points about things.

Meridian: Ah but you must be OVER 60 and COMPLETELY gray. Almost 60 w/salt and pepper doesn't count. His criteria used to be 60 until I pointed out to him that in that case his grandma was old. So he added the hair thing after that (he didn't realize that his g-ma dyes her hair...lol.. but it still wouldn't be completely gray) Don't kids typically call 30s old? lol

insight needed
06-17-10, 09:18 AM
Krys, your de-clutter plan sounds do-able. When you are sorting clothing, do you have a box/bin for clothing that is being given away? If so, as soon as you fill it, maybe you could take it out to the car. If it is already out there, you can take it to "'Goodwill" (or wherever you take outgrown clothing) the next time you are doing errands. Also, if you are sorting out boxes, make sure that when you have one done, you take a marker and write the contents on the outside. You have a much better chance of not wasting time by having to go through it again looking for something. One last thought is that if you decide something needs to be thrown away, do it before you leave the spare room for the day. Each time you get some trash out of there, the room will look a little less messy, and also you won't be having "second thoughts" about throwing it away ('cause it'll already be outside in the trashcan).

Krys.
06-17-10, 07:03 PM
insight needed:
Thanks for the tips. I already do some of that.... sort of. For the clothes, I put all the stuff that is no longer needed together. Then I will have to go through THAT at some point and separate it into other categories: Donate, trash, quilt, etc... And for the boxes.... oh boxes are a big enemy of mine. I just recently told a friend that if I just start throwing away boxes as I empty them, then I can't use them to put more stuff in! lol I've not only been writing the contents on some, I'm even writing the date that I was in it so that I will know what I'm using and what I'm not. I like the idea of tossing stuff quickly too because second thoughts will ruin plans in a hurry if they are allowed to take hold.

Over all it's a good system I think, as long as I see it through to completion. I don't have much choice there though... That room has been promised to our kids for a play/hangout area and my oldest has been asking me when I'm going to be done with it.