View Full Version : Help Prioritizing Things

Cacho
06-18-10, 03:21 PM
Cliff Notes:
So I've got a to do list, and the desire to get stuff done, but I always get bogged down doing the wrong things. What can I do?

I've tried asking people who are extremely good at getting things done and organizing things, and the results were utter confusion and a complete lack of ability to explain how and why they do anything the way they do it. They couldn't even understand what I was trying to ask. They'd explain things to a certain level, but I need one level below that, and they don't even see that there's another level, since it's so automatic and ingrained for them that they're blind to it. I've also read a lot of books on the subject, and I have the same problem with them. They explain things to a certain level, but I need that next level. The level that's understood to exist in the books but is never explained.

Long Notes:
So I've had a running to do list since January now. There's currently 80 things on it. I just don't know which ones to do when.

My tasks are broken into projects.

Each day I try and pick 3 of the most important things to do. The problem is that there are things I know are important but not essential. I've been meaning to vacuum for a long time now, but there's always more important stuff and there always will be, since vacuuming has no pre-determined deadline.

Also, there's things that are really important that I should do, but there's other things that are equally important. This means that the important things I don't like to do don't get done, since I keep doing the important things that I do like to do. Again, it's the problem of no pre-exisiting deadline. I hate paying the bills, but I do it on time, since there's a deadline. Other things that I hate to do, that do not have a deadline, I never do, because I don't know how to prioritize them.

I know about some tricks like going through each item in your list and comparing it one at a time to each other item to see which one's more important. The problem is that this is not sustainable.

Basically if I could just sort of figure out how much time to spend on work, household, exercise, social, etc. that would be a big start.

I mean I'm getting things done, but there's these rocks in my list that never get done, and I just don't know whether I should cross them off and forget about them or put them as the highest priority and get them done.

Basically, my problem is the moment when I get done with one thing...... what to do next and why?

I don't know if I did a good job explaining it, since it sounds ridiculous, but there's been times where I had 3 important things to do and I've just thought about which one to do next and I couldn't pick.

How do you pick?

Any help suggestions appreciated!
Thanks!

DADHD
06-18-10, 03:44 PM
80 THINGS!! Too much. Break it down into manageable items. I adopted a strategy for todo tasks that pop up using 3x5 index cards. I put no more than 5 things on a card and do that card. If I choose to do more, I do but I want the 5 to get done no matter what.

Cacho
06-18-10, 04:12 PM
80 THINGS!! Too much. Break it down into manageable items. I adopted a strategy for todo tasks that pop up using 3x5 index cards. I put no more than 5 things on a card and do that card. If I choose to do more, I do but I want the 5 to get done no matter what.

Thanks for the suggestion. The way I deal with this is that I pick 3 every day.

Actually the full 80 long list is on my computer.

I pick 3 each day and write only those three into my paper calendar that I have with me all the time. If I complete one I cross it off. If I don't complete one that day, I transfer it to the following day.

There's a few item that I always transfer to the following day and don't do, since when I get to them I realize that there's something more important or equally important. These are also the things I don't like to do.