View Full Version : Diet Help Please

Werl
06-19-10, 01:19 AM
I have a really poor diet. I was just wondering if someone could help by suggesting ways to improve it.

First, a little about me. I'm a male in my mid teens, weigh about 110lbs, about 6 feet tall, not very active, on concerta (apatite suppressor), wellbutrin, celexa, I'm a very picky eater, and i have braces (to rule out the stuff I can't have). I have no allergies (that I know of).
On the average day, I would have...
for breakfast
-glass of milk
-toast (warmed up bread)
for lunch
-Usually a sandwich or leftover from last night
-occasionally have a juice
For dinner
-Varies from day to day, usually consists of meat, bread or canned dinners.

If there is any other info you need, just ask.

Thanks

peripatetic
06-19-10, 01:34 AM
hey werl,

when you say you're picky, are you averse to fruits and vegetables? if yes, is it texture, taste or both?

that's the big thing i see missing that i eat a lot of. if it's just a convenience issue, then you can cut up things in advance and snack on them. that's my biggest problem with eating: preparation. i like fruit and veg, so it's not that i don't want them.

if it's taste, then you could try smoothies for the fruits. those are easy and i can send you recipes if you want.

it it's texture, then i'll need more specifics. overall, though, i don't like mushy things, so carrot or jicama sticks are easy as are snap peas--i like the crunchiness.

if you're trying to put on weight my best strategy is peanut butter. it goes on apples, crackers, etc. overall, though, try not to eat 'plain' things. so instead of apple slices, have apple slices with peanut butter; instead of plain crackers, have crackers with cheese; add cheese, nuts, croutons, eggs to salad and always use full-fat dressing.

snacks overall are key, in my experience. if you like hard-boiled eggs, for example, you can boil a bunch and then snack on them. i also eat a lot of clif bars--especially the mint chocolate cookie and peanut butter ones.

for beverages, if you find juice too sweet and that's why you aren't drinking much (i find straight juice too sweet) then you can cut it with icewater or, my favorite, sparkling water--that makes it fizzy and fruity without feeling like you're going vertical on a bottle of maple syrup.

nuts can also be good for keeping/putting on weight. i don't like the dry roasted ones, but i do like them salted (which probably isn't the ideal situation, but they taste good). and, although i'm not a big chocolate person, i've found the cocoa almonds (i forget who makes them, but they're in a green canister) are tasty.

you might try eating a bigger breakfast, too. if you like simpler things, then cereal can be high-calorie, especially granola with whole milk (if you can stand whole milk, which i can't) or yoghurt.

hope that helps a little:)

coyfish
06-19-10, 01:39 AM
I can try and help. I am a medical school student who has competed in a natural bodybuilding show a few years ago just for fun. I have been quite proficient at managing my own diet to get the results I desire.

I think the biggest thing you need to do is establish your goals first. Are you not feeling energized? too thin? just want to eat healthy? What inspired you to pursue this lifestyle change?

First of all your diet isn't bad but there is definitely room for improvement. I will give you some general rules that have become staples of nutrition. Don't let any of them overwhelm you. Take things at a manageable pace for you. The best part about health is seeing and/or feeling the results. If you overwhelm yourself you might quit before you reach that point.

Without further ado here are some tips:

1) Frequent meals (keeps your metabolism moving. Mostly geared to those looking to lose weight but is still a good thing to do).

2) Avoid processed stuff. That means eat natural foods. Like meats, fish, grains, veggies, fruits, etc. In other words avoid highly processed foods like most of what comes in packaged boxes. White pasta, white breads, processed sugars (high fructose corn syrup), etc. Some natural juice is fine but try to avoid those with high fructose corn syrup. Its like a concentrated sugar shot just as bad as drinking a regular soda. Empty calories that provide no benefit.

3) Balanced meals. Try and get a good balance of protein / carbs and veggies in your main meals (like lunch / dinner). A sandwich with whole grain break + lean cold cut meat + some veggies (lettuce, cucumber, etc.) is a good lunch. Toss in a fruit for some sugar.

Those are a few rules for you to start with. Just tackle what you can. You are young and thin so you don't have to follow this like a saint if you don't want to. Also you need to make sure you get some healthy fats in your diet. That means unsaturated fats. Many fish (like salmon) have them as do peanuts / peanut butter, olive oil, etc.

Lastly I think this tip would be good for you. Try to eat more in the morning. You will not be under the influence of your medication yet so you should be able to eat without too much difficulty. Ideally you want to get good carbs in for breakfast. It will kick start your day / get your metabolism moving / and in your case make you hungrier during the day. There are good cereals that taste good out there without tons of sugar. Like lots of the Kashi products. I like go lean crunch and berry crumble. You can also eat oatmeal. Unprocessed is better but you can also buy the instant packs which are good enough and taste good. I also drink some G2 gatorade and eat a fruit for some sugar.

Werl
06-19-10, 01:49 AM
Let me answer this in order

a- a little bit of both, mostly the veggies. i'm limited for the fruit because I can't bite into anything
b- I's taste
c-I need to gain some weight. to give you an example of how bad I am, I shake and I see my vanes
c-It's not the juice as much as it is that it costs me 1.25 a can (vending mecines at school)
d-can't have nuts (braces)
e-I'll eating a big breakfast in about 9 hours

Thanks for the help, Will keep you updated on how things are going. Now, a midnight snack, then off to bed.

Werl
06-19-10, 02:05 AM
one last thing. I like a peanut butter and honey sandwiches. You have the sweet from the honey, but the main taste comes from the peanut butter.

coyfish
06-19-10, 02:06 AM
I see. I think whole milk or 2% would be good for you. Lots of good fat that won't make you fat :). I would drink 1 glass for breakfast and another before bed. Definitely have cereal, oatmeal, or other carbs for breakfast. A slice of toast is not enough for you.

For veggies you can drink V8. For fruit you can make smoothies which are great. You just need a blender. 1 Banana, berries, a little milk, a bit of vanilla ice cream = yummy. You can even put peanut butter in there which many people love. Can you eat banana raw?

My sister has braces and she eats basically everything I do. I don't know your situation but maybe you can eat more when you are at home?

Eggs are also good. If you don't have time in the morning they are also good before bed.

You are an ectomorph most likely. That means you are naturally lean. You have a thin frame and have a hard time gaining weight (muscle). You need to eat more carbs. Im on vyvanse so I know how it feels to not be hungry but you have to eat if you want to gain weight. It's really that simply. Playing some sports or doing a little work in the gym will also help you out. You don't have to go crazy but maybe try to do some simple bodyweight exercises like push ups, pull ups, lunges, etc.

Like peri suggested snacks are good. You might not feel like eating an entire meal but you can manage to down a small snack. There are some soft granola bars that won't make anymore of a mess in your mouth than a sandwich.

Peanut butter is good. You can have one of those sandwiches as a snack or for lunch.

Werl
06-19-10, 02:11 AM
I'm having 2 right now.
Actually I'm not naturally this way. It just got to the point where my diet was so bad that I actually lost a good 10 to 20 lbs in 2 years.
Ooop, after midnight, better get to sleep, got a long day of doing nothing planed ahead.