View Full Version : Paranoia

Werl
06-22-10, 06:33 PM
It's the beginning of summer here. There are a lot of wasps out. I get out of a building and suddenly looking around for a wasp. I can't be outside for one second an not think of the wasps.

By the way I have Spheksophobia.

EshkaronsEngine
06-22-10, 06:39 PM
I was stung on the heel of my foot by one when I was five. It change my life forever. I love bees and wasps. One time I was sunbathing naked out on a mountain and a pretty bee or wasp came and nestled amongst my toes. Orgasmic. Sorry it wasn't a wasp it was a hornet. They are much cooler.

Werl
06-22-10, 06:41 PM
Not what I was looking for but, ok.

danelady
06-22-10, 06:42 PM
I was stung on the heel of my foot by one when I was five. It change my life forever. I love bees and wasps. One time I was sunbathing naked out on a mountain and a pretty bee or wasp came and nestled amongst my toes. Orgasmic.

Did you make toe jam from the fruit that grew out of your pollinated feet?

Sorry Werl...got impulsive and had to answer,I'll go back to your thread.

Werl
06-22-10, 06:43 PM
not helping.

danelady
06-22-10, 06:44 PM
It's the beginning of summer here. There are a lot of wasps out. I get out of a building and suddenly looking around for a wasp. I can't be outside for one second an not think of the wasps.

Without having to look up that 'S' word,does it mean fear of wasps or bees?

EshkaronsEngine
I was reading Generation X by Douglas Coupland and was intrigued how different my generation is. While my dad's generation was busing buying the newest greatest gadget my gen was trying to understand how the boomers managed to screw up their privileged lives for themselves and their progeny.

Werl
Specifically, wasps.

danelady
06-22-10, 06:47 PM
Have you ever been stung? I would HATE to be stung by a wasp. I don't have a phobia about it...but I don't wanna be around them. I'm sorry you have to be in fear when you go outside now that the weather is so nice up there.

Werl
06-22-10, 06:49 PM
two things
1. It just started a week or so ago
2. Wasps byte, not sting.

EshkaronsEngine
06-22-10, 06:53 PM
I was stung on the heel of my foot by one when I was five. It change my life forever. I love bees and wasps. One time I was sunbathing naked out on a mountain and a pretty bee or wasp came and nestled amongst my toes. Orgasmic. Sorry it wasn't a wasp it was a hornet. They are much cooler.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QE2joQsWXJg

danelady
06-22-10, 06:54 PM

Oh great..you're making sure I develop this same phobia. Then I hope I kill lots of them on my windshield this summer! I don't know what it is that smashes on my windshield sometimes...but there are some G-normous bugs out there.

Werl
06-22-10, 06:56 PM
They not only byte, but they can byte many times in a row.

danelady
06-22-10, 07:02 PM
They not only byte, but they can byte many times in a row.

Done deal.:eek:

Werl
06-22-10, 07:09 PM
Sorry, their not as bad as the Africanized honey bees. Here (http://www.stingshield.com/all-us.htm) is a map of where the Africanized honey bees can be found just in case you happen to be going there.

Hearty Soul
06-22-10, 07:11 PM

Do not let fear steal from you the joy of the summer evenings. Life is too short to waste looking for wasps!!:D.

Doesn't the AD/HD meds help overcome such fears?! If not, use the scented candles if you are in a patio, or in general try to work on your mind to replace the negative thoughts/fears with positive ones. :)
Just my 2-cents thoughts.

Werl
06-22-10, 07:11 PM
Thanks. Not easy thou.

I missed my 500th post :(

danelady
06-22-10, 07:14 PM
Sorry, their not as bad as the Africanized honey bees. Here (http://www.stingshield.com/all-us.htm) is a map of where the Africanized honey bees can be found just in case you happen to be going there.

Thanks Werl. I've lived in AZ for a while now. Started hearing about them a long time ago when they were working themselves north. Then they crossed the border into AZ and heard about the little old ladies and dogs getting stung to death.

I get seriously concerned when I walk Earl around. I know it doesn't take much to set them off..the smell of your detergent or lotion..or they are just plain cranky. Thanks for reminding me about them though.

Werl
06-22-10, 07:23 PM
Their more commonly called killer bees

Krys.
06-23-10, 12:15 AM
We have wasps.... black and dark red ones that are a bit more docile and then the solid bright red angry ones that are definitely more aggressive.

These are what I'm talking about (didn't find a pic of the black and dark red ones).....

http://rescuebugblog.typepad.com/rescue_bugblog/images/2008/06/30/carolina_red_wasp_2.jpg

These don't bite, they sting (sometimes multiple times) and boy do they pack a punch when they do. The black & red ones are not as bad as the bright red ones. I've never come across a wasp that bites rather than stings. A few things about these kinds of wasps... Usually if you leave them alone, they leave you alone. They just want to do wasp stuff and go about their business. You should avoid perfumed things like fruity shampoos, certain detergents... basically anything that smells sweet or fruity is a no no. Look where you put your hands (one of my kids got stung on the finger recently playing on the swing set) Bottled drinks with lids are better to have with you outside than canned drinks (wasps might go into a can for the drink without your knowledge) Other than that, if you do get stung soak a rag in white vinegar and hold it on the sting for about an hour. It takes away the pain but only while it's on there. If you move the rag sooner than 40-60 minutes the pain comes back. I also like to use an allergy medicine and/or ibuprofen to help with swelling/pain. Hey they say knowledge is power....

sarek
06-23-10, 02:05 AM
I hate them with a vengeance. I have been stung once or twice when I was young. But that was nothing traumatic.
But when its summer and hot and these little winged demons come out! Back in 2005 we had a complete wasp plague. There would be five of them in one glass of coke.

Werl
06-23-10, 10:03 AM
The wasps I have look like this
http://echostains.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/wasp-even-the-name-strikes-terror.jpg

meridian
06-23-10, 10:15 AM
two things
1. It just started a week or so ago

Started a week ago for this season? Or have you had this in the past as well? In childhood?

Can it be part of a greater anxiety or panic disorder issue?

I know I've had irrational fears in the past -- particularly in my teens. They passed eventually, but were freakin' scary while they were happening.

Get in to see your doctor, since this strikes me (as if I have a clue) as indicative of a co-morbid condition rather than part of the AD/HD.

HTH

BTW, I don't really know if I could tell the difference between wasps and hornets. I did get stung (bitten?) once at age 10 on my leg. And they (either one) do still give me chills up and down my body when I see them. :eek:

Oh wait, the picture you posted Werl is the bug I am thinking of, not what Krys. posted.

Werl
06-23-10, 10:18 AM
This is the first time ever that I had such a fear of wasps. We usually have bees, you know the small honey bee. But this year, we only have wasps, I haven't seen a bee yet. The wasps look almost an inch long! :eek::eek::eek:

Krys.
06-23-10, 11:57 AM
The wasps I have look like this
http://echostains.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/wasp-even-the-name-strikes-terror.jpg

THAT looks like a European Paper Wasp. It's an invasive species. They are very sucessful reproducers and get worse each year. That's probably why you've seen so many of them. Watch where you put your hands as you don't want to accidentally grab a nest (or a wasp). Perhaps you should invest in a big can of wasp and hornet spray. Just like other wasps, they DO sting and can sting multiple times, but again it's more an issue of "don't bother them and they likely won't bother you" I would imagine the treatment for a sting would be similar to what I mentioned in my other post. We used the vinegar for my son the day he got stung and it worked. Not sure if the effect would be the same for those wasps but I don't know why it wouldn't be.

meridian
06-23-10, 12:28 PM
This is the first time ever that I had such a fear of wasps. We usually have bees, you know the small honey bee. But this year, we only have wasps, I haven't seen a bee yet. The wasps look almost an inch long! :eek::eek::eek:

Your reaction to them is what is troubling. What of Werl56 or anyone else in the family?

If you are the only one freaking out, then definitely call your doctor. You don't need the extra stress.

fropunka
06-23-10, 01:04 PM
I too am VERY scared of Wasps and Hornets. I have never been stung because I scream and run away from them. I refuse to go outside or even get out of my car if I think a Wasp it outside.

Werl
06-23-10, 01:08 PM
Dad and mom, no. My sister a little, but no where near as severe. I'll talk to my dad after school.

Werl
06-23-10, 06:41 PM
I need help!!!!

I need to do the lawn but my fear is getting the best of me. I want to do it but I just can't.

peripatetic
06-23-10, 06:48 PM
hey werl,

i have no advice really; just wanted to offer some support:o

i think talking to your father and your doctor is definitely in order as they'll be able to find some strategies to help you:)

Werl
06-23-10, 06:50 PM
Thanks.

Rebelyell
06-23-10, 07:13 PM
Back in 2002 I was stung at work under the heart long story short,co worker hit a nest pulling weeds in a playground structure at work,I had pulled up on a rack truck to get the garbage cans/drums.I saw this co worker running then the guy behind him was running after him.I thought they at 1st got into a fight,my co worker looked like gilligan he had 30 or more ground hive wasps on him,he swatted at em an knocked 1 up to top of racktruck.I saw it an swatted it an it got past me did a loopy loo an got me 1 time.My lips got numb and bluish,my neck and lips were tingling an by time I got taken to hospy I was having trouble breathing an my bp was dropping along w face an hands being itchy/numb.Them things were nasty,the other co worker got stung 100 feet across the street.Stupid boss was like Im coming out w the bee spray when every 1 was like take him to the hospital.They hit me w adrenaline,in the iv an holy **** Ive never been so speeded feeling before like that talk about racy,then they put benyldryl in the iv an i instantly went to sleep.I had asked dr if it was bs coming here he said no i wouldnt of died but Id would of had a lot of trouble breathing later on where I might had to come there anyway.Its funny I still mess w em,like Its like a rush guys are like stay away dave,and ill be like right up to nest w can of wd 40 or hit em w power washer:DYears ago we were cutting trees out of alot town keeps up,guys using chainsaws dropped saws ran out into road,1 guy ran into a tree I think other guy jeff had gotten stung.Saws still running wasps swarming,boss drives up laughing at this stooge show,what I do go walk calmy into woods grab saws,shut it off an walk out of woods w saws while hundreds of these things swarming.I must be an idiot or am a glutton for punishment.The wasp that stung me was little but it felt like a hot needle,funny thing was 2 days before that me an summer worker had to do that box,something didnt feel right and I skipped that area where i was gonna start an it never got finished.Summer worker said to me It would of been bad ,We would be running into the canal behind the park.I got lucky If I would of been stung 15 times like my co worker did I might of died :(

stef
06-24-10, 03:30 AM
I don't think it's strange to be frightened of them - especially if you usually don't have those kind in your area (and yikes! yuk); but if it's really preventing you from doing things then you may have a problem. - maybe you're anxious in general and they've become kind of an "excuse" for anxiety...?

one year a bat flew into our apartment (we don't have window screens in france) and I became hysterical. I didn't know that I was frightened of bats!

OH: maybe you were frightened of wasps when you were really little but had forgotten about it???

darkangel99
07-13-10, 08:46 AM
I don't have a phobia of wasps or bees but whenever one is near me I tend to run. Or stay extremely still.

Werl
07-13-10, 01:45 PM
Recently it has gotten better. Still afraid of them. I just got back from a lovely trip to Jasper. I saw 2 or 3 wasps, my fad was with me so I wasn't as scared. There
Was a lit of Mosquitos around.

Posted on my iPhone.

Myke
07-27-10, 10:24 AM
wasps sure are dangerous....