View Full Version : Green AV Virus Misery

Justtess
06-22-10, 09:05 PM
H E L P! I'm technically challenged when it comes to hardware and this very irritating virus. The AV virus has taken over my admin username explorer and keeps redirecting me to the AV website where it wants me to buy its software. It has also disabled connection to the internet and downloads using that username. I am now on a guest account and successfully downloaded Malwarebytes where it found the infected files. I've rebooted but it won't let me log onto the internet on the admin username... it says there is a connection problem. When I click the diagnose button, it says it cannot determine why I do not have connectability however, I can access the internet on my guest account.

If you know how to help me get rid of this virus. I would greatly greatly greatly appreciate the technical skills you have :)

BTW.... why isn't there a repair for this at microsoft? It isn't even listed at Norton .... completely fustrated.

Werl
06-22-10, 10:40 PM
First of all, GET A MAC.
If you aren't willing to go with soupier OS than reinstall windows.

Justtess
06-22-10, 11:22 PM
LOL.... my son already made that suggestion. S I G H .....

reinstall windows.... hmmm... I'm trying to avoid doing that.

sarek
06-23-10, 02:38 AM
Can you create a second admin account and get onto the net from there?

BrokenMirrors
06-23-10, 08:16 AM
First of all, GET A MAC.

Ironically if MacOsX eventually becomes popular, it will attract more viruses. :)

Justtess: it looks you're pretty much hosed. You should get someone who know how to deal with this.

If you can tell the link where your antivirus software sends you. I'll take a look, maybe it gives an idea.

Justtess
06-23-10, 09:21 AM
I think I fixed it. So far so good. I had to reset the internet settings from the internet options.

I'm too afraid to send anyone the link because from what I've been reading, this company has had many different varieties of the virus to avoid the user getting rid of it. The company it kept referring me to is AV Software in London, England. Malwearbytes and Rkill helped me get rid of it (I think).... Here is the link I followed the directions from: BleepingComputers.com (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-av-antispyware)

Microsoft just sent me an update for malwear so I hope this prevents me from getting another Trojan.

snickerz
09-26-10, 11:39 AM
superantispyware is a good one to run alongside malwarebytes I also use avira free edition

Imnapl
09-26-10, 12:47 PM
Ironically if MacOsX eventually becomes popular, it will attract more viruses. :)Good point, but until then . . .
Mac on!