View Full Version : Senate Confirms Autism Self-Advocate

APSJ
06-27-10, 01:32 PM
Senate Confirms Controversial Autism Self-Advocate To National Disability Council

After months of delay, the Senate unanimously confirmed Ari Ne’eman on Tuesday to become the first person with autism to serve on the National Council on Disability.
Speculation swirled about the reason for the hold, with some suggesting that Ne’eman’s sometimes divisive views on autism could have been behind the delay. In particular, Ne’eman’s belief that autism should not be cured, but instead should be accepted and accommodated has drawn ire from parents of some individuals who are more adversely affected by the disorder.http://www.disabilityscoop.com/2010/06/22/neeman-confirmation/9133/

I found this interesting. Seems like a positive development overall to have more non-visible disabilities represented in these types of roles.

ginniebean
06-27-10, 01:42 PM
I really do sympathise with those parents who want a cure but I don't think that's ever going to happen. The closest we'll ever get to a cure is what's happened with downs syndrome and that's a test to see if you have it while you are gestating.

We do need people to speak up for diversity and while I do understand the bitterness of some of the parents I still think it's so important to advocate for inclusion. It's the only way to LIVE with each other.