View Full Version : New ADD Short - Enjoy, please?

coddersjnr
06-27-10, 07:33 PM
I decided to make this movie so that I could publish it to sites such as YouTube and Forums to raise awareness of ADD-I in a less comedic way but so that it was still light- hearted. Instead of being very literal with the symptoms of this disorder I tried to represent them in a metaphorical way.

I kept the symptoms quite obvious at the beginning with the pen fiddling and feet tapping as this is the shot of the boy in the ʻreal worldʼ and when he starts to daydream, you are seeing how his brain works. It is an inconsistent clip to show that the brain of a person with ADD-I is very cluttered sometimes and yet it can also be blurred and zoned out at other times. The wall represents the concentration barrier which ʻnormalʼ people would be able to climb up to to the top of because they have the mental ability to do so but this character cannot and becomes angry and stressed out due to his ADD. The field is supposed to resemble him zoning out and losing himself in his own ʻADD worldʼ which is where he goes running to after he becomes to worked up about the wall.

There are also little additions to the film that I have added which I wonʼt be mentioning but if you pick up on them as symbolising ADD symptoms then let me know what you have discovered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puCX3LwHj7A

meridian
06-27-10, 07:59 PM
Nicely done, Jessie! And young Harry does a fine job!

Thoughtful, poetic, well shot and well edited.

I particularly liked it when Harry throws a handful of pebbles into the river under the bridge.

coddersjnr
06-27-10, 08:04 PM
Nicely done, Jessie! And young Harry does a fine job!

Thoughtful, poetic, well shot and well edited.

I particularly liked it when Harry throws a handful of pebbles into the river under the bridge.

Thankyou! :) It means alot. I can always rely on my brother to be a little drama queen for me. It'd be great if you could encode some of the little ADD things I've slipped into it aswell. Means it'll be serving its purpose haha

Schroeder
06-27-10, 10:15 PM
Lies, all lies! You're not Inattentive - real Inattentives never finish anything! :D :D :D

Congrats, nice job! What camera did you use?

fracturedstory
06-27-10, 11:40 PM
When he looked out of the window that took me straight back to my childhood.

I'm really bad at finding symbols and stuff, but it was a beautiful short.

coddersjnr
06-28-10, 04:58 AM
Lies, all lies! You're not Inattentive - real Inattentives never finish anything! :D :D :D

Congrats, nice job! What camera did you use?

Haha, the only way I managed to finish it all was to just film and edit it in one quick burst. Took me around 4 hours in total.

I filmed it on my Nikon D90, which has a surprisingly good video quality =]

Schroeder
06-28-10, 06:27 AM
Haha, the only way I managed to finish it all was to just film and edit it in one quick burst. Took me around 4 hours in total.

I filmed it on my Nikon D90, which has a surprisingly good video quality =]

Hyperfocus ftw

You a Mac or PC guy? I have a D90 too, are you familiar with the 800px trick?

coddersjnr
06-28-10, 05:21 PM
Hyperfocus ftw

You a Mac or PC guy? I have a D90 too, are you familiar with the 800px trick?

I'm a mac (girl) :P and not aware of this 800px trick lol what is it?

EshkaronsEngine
06-28-10, 05:28 PM
Thank you I loved the music. The pebbles were the best part. I thought it symbolized the brain and it's co factors. Makes me wanna run naked through the privately owned fields.:p

coddersjnr
06-28-10, 05:51 PM
Thank you I loved the music. The pebbles were the best part. I thought it symbolized the brain and it's co factors. Makes me wanna run naked through the privately owned fields.:p

Nice! I really like that, it's nice to see people are looking at it in such an open way =] although i'm not so sure the farmer would be happy about you streaking past his cows haha

Schroeder
06-28-10, 08:40 PM
and not aware of this 800px trick lol what is it?

Basically the D90 records to 1280 x 800, then squishes it down to 1280 x 720 (720p). Which is fine, except that when the camera does it, it makes the edges aliased (jaggy), like this:

dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=149911

So the trick is, you re-up it to 800 pixels, then use a better software algorithm to scale it back down to 720p - that way it doesn't look jaggy or like it has little stair-steps around the edges of objects. Here's a really good video illustration of the problem:

http://vimeo.com/1935644

It may or may not bother you. I'm a very visual person so I really like getting rid of the jaggies, even though the extra work is a real pain in the neck. There's a lot of ways to do it depending on which video editing software you use, so just google for D90 plus your software editor plus jaggy or stair step fix or 800px. HTH :)

coddersjnr
06-29-10, 04:45 AM
So the trick is, you re-up it to 800 pixels, then use a better software algorithm to scale it back down to 720p - that way it doesn't look jaggy or like it has little stair-steps around the edges of objects.

It may or may not bother you. I'm a very visual person so I really like getting rid of the jaggies, even though the extra work is a real pain in the neck. There's a lot of ways to do it depending on which video editing software you use, so just google for D90 plus your software editor plus jaggy or stair step fix or 800px. HTH :)

This sounds like a lot of time and effort, who do you think I am???? :P

annonemus
06-29-10, 07:41 AM
Nicely subtle. TV on in the background while doing homework, restlessness in hands and feet, distracted look out the window. He leaves his bike on the ground without bothering to prop it on the kickstand. I thought that his grabbing pebbles next to a whole in the ground my exhibit an inattention to possible danger (is it a snake hole? spider hole? something-rabid hole?). Pebbles all thrown at once instead of skipped one-at-a-time (which I hear is quite common, but who has the patience?), and I like eshkaron's explanation of that. Maybe it's also symbolic of all thoughts hitting the surface at once and rippling into each other.

Of course the wall scene hammers it home--the metaphor of ADHD as an obstacle that's difficult to overcome, frustrating and angering. Head against the wall--wall inside the head...

The unseen sign in the private field causes no concern to him. I would even like to think that the choice of costume is significant--of course a shirt with a built-in tie makes sense for someone who may be inclined to miss certain details in dress!

Very well-done.

coddersjnr
06-29-10, 08:03 AM
Nicely subtle. TV on in the background while doing homework, restlessness in hands and feet, distracted look out the window. He leaves his bike on the ground without bothering to prop it on the kickstand. I thought that his grabbing pebbles next to a whole in the ground my exhibit an inattention to possible danger (is it a snake hole? spider hole? something-rabid hole?). Pebbles all thrown at once instead of skipped one-at-a-time (which I hear is quite common, but who has the patience?), and I like eshkaron's explanation of that. Maybe it's also symbolic of all thoughts hitting the surface at once and rippling into each other.

Of course the wall scene hammers it home--the metaphor of ADHD as an obstacle that's difficult to overcome, frustrating and angering. Head against the wall--wall inside the head...

The unseen sign in the private field causes no concern to him. I would even like to think that the choice of costume is significant--of course a shirt with a built-in tie makes sense for someone who may be inclined to miss certain details in dress!

Very well-done.

This post is fantastic, you've hit the nail right on the head!

And with the hole in the floor, although not intentional on my part, you've actually opened up a whole new page or ways people can see and identify with this film.

I'm also glad you noticed the significance of the sign, clothing and pebbles.

Thanks so much. :)

Song of Mercy
06-29-10, 08:22 AM
Really great!

Fidgeting at the beginning, made me think of hyperness, but then considering the context I thought perhaps that small distractions were being given unmerited attention.

Looking out the window...classic...to me it was the daydream and I think each person then would take that subjectively...

the bike...adventure maybe? Not sure...until he threw it down...lol.

The wall, insurmountable goal. Wants to get over the block, tries and tries but cant quit get to a place that others have been..

fist...angry/frustration

and then...off to the meadow...once again to that happy place.

the rocks, when he was picking them up? Potential in his hands?

I think this is very well done.

Kudos

Song

KaiserBravery
06-29-10, 11:56 AM
wow!! really thought this film was amazing :D

It captured me as a kid.. how i felt.. and how i am to this day.

I loved the music.. it matched the kind of adrenaline and energy i have during tedious work compared to "riding free" metaphoricall. During the homework the beats of the music were repeating and never moving forwards(almost confused).. Exactly how we tend to feel.. all over the place and not achieving anything 0 un energized.... But then when he goes out to play(in his own world) the music is passionate, moving forward(has a sense of direction), exciting and making so much sense :).. it really was beautiful and so so relate-able!

I also loved the tie on the shirt.. not for it being terribly stylish(but who could blame a kid!!).. It represents the eccentricities we often pertain, creativity and willingness to be different. The fact is... we innatentive's have to be different to survive.. There is no way we can beat the norms at their own game.. So we must play to our own beat!

The wall and giving up thing was way too relate-able :-( But.. fortunately so was the ability to quickly put failure out of the head and move on!

To cap it all off.. ignoring the sign... We like danger.. We dont care for authority figures.. We move in our own way!

Flopping onto the ground for a rest - we have bursts of energy and inspiration but tire so easily!

doiadhd
06-29-10, 12:29 PM
CoddersJr,that was great my friend!

I typed in relation to what i saw and thought through pauses in your short,so i did not miss anything out:)

Very talented by the way and a great gesture to your community!

I used to tie my legs around the back of the chair whilst trying to do homework and would get cramp and stuck there,i fell over a few times...also screamed for help....something was going to snap i was stuck there,homework=pain,when forced; )
But can be enjoyable once in the zone,keep it going until routine sets in,sometimes.

i like the symbolic tie...mass product of schoolism,but the only way.
branded before he had the chance to leave school,embroidered onto his shirt...like a man child....under a bridge,if i recall,the passing motorists on their way back from work,as you do not do your home work and go to your thoughts......or me rather:)

I'm still facing that wall at 30,sometimes the wall grows with us-to stop thus,head against the wall fingers clinched is symbolic throughout the whole life of adhd..the head against the wall is what they see,we concentrate on the clenched fist way to much(hp'ing on the clinched fist....never get angry with the wall,you will regret it later...be friends with the wall,lean on it...soon it will come down,like others,with graffiti from those trapped behind and the fragments we shall take home to cherish,with work like this there is hope of people understanding and making gates at this infinite walls,some small some sky scraping).

Or better yet run away from it to a place,a real place,a coping mechanism,mine at that age was football,NO BALL GAMES,signs from people who cared more about windows than healthy young vibrant children.Or be it reading and mellow time as in add and not adhd which i fluctuate to and from regularly(now),so understand both concepts,especially inattentive when i was young,until teens,14-16 was the change,escaping from school and finding manual work....which is more adhd than add,but when i fluctuate,people see me in two lights and i them,i think this has always been my wall.

If you get a part in a short i will get my guys to call your guys and we'll do brunch!
(or meet at the bar...)

That took me back:)
(homework,forgot how much i hated that whole idea of school haunting as at home,with teachers names on my book,ones who just made me late home and also gave me lines to do ontop of that-fun times:))

coddersjnr
06-29-10, 01:39 PM
I would quote both of your messages to show how much I appreciate them but stuck to thanking both of you as it could turn out into a page-long reply haha.

How you have opened up and seen so much detail in this video is fantastic.

Kaiser, thanks for recognising the significance of the music, I'm relieved that Sigur Ros had created two similar tracks but one being obviously slightly more messed up than the other.

I love how many people have mentioned my brother's tie t-shirt, makes me glad I decided to make him wear that. You guys have actually made me see much more in myself and how even just the storyboard had much more meaning to it than I had first realised.

Your responses have taught me so much, thanks =]

Jessie x

doiadhd
06-29-10, 04:48 PM
It hits home with each indevidual indevidually...i want that shirt...i'm going to get one,not really a big fan of clothes,but that is special:)

coddersjnr
06-29-10, 04:51 PM
It hits home with each indevidual indevidually...i want that shirt...i'm going to get one,not really a big fan of clothes,but that is special:)

ahaa, let me know if you find one. Wouldn't mind one for myself as unfortunately I'm not quite small enough for Harry's one xD lol

mADD mike
06-29-10, 10:00 PM
I don't think I have anything of insight to say that hasn't really been said already, but I just thought I'd chime in and say that I really enjoyed that, and thanks for sharing.:)

Oh, and it was very well done.

Super_Dork_42
06-29-10, 10:25 PM
Hey, awesome. I think a good addition might be at the end, a storm suddenly wakes him up with a bolt of lightning and he opens his eyes to find himself back in front of his homework again.

WordMan
06-29-10, 11:12 PM
I really liked it. It brought me to tears. The boy throwing himself up against that wall, and, failing to climb it, running into a field and daydreaming. The music works -- it sounds like it's building up to this heroic moment, but then it just starts fading and begins repeating itself, the moment of glory failed and gone and the mind going back to its never-ending circles...

Poetic and moving, a short metaphorical journey into ADHD-PI. I think that those who watch it will get the message, although maybe the ending, for those who don't understand, may be too subtle -- his retreating into the field of his own daydreams may not come across as enough of a bad thing. But all in all, a really nice job. Thank you for doing it, and bravo to you for taking on this as a topic for a short movie.

WordMan
06-29-10, 11:16 PM
P.S. -- The shirt is a really nice touch -- is he a boy-man, symbolic of a grown man who's still a boy inside? Or is he an unusually intelligent boy, a serious young proto-intellectual, caught despite his intelligence in the trap of his own brain? The viewer must make his own inferences.....

coddersjnr
06-30-10, 05:29 AM
P.S. -- The shirt is a really nice touch -- is he a boy-man, symbolic of a grown man who's still a boy inside? Or is he an unusually intelligent boy, a serious young proto-intellectual, caught despite his intelligence in the trap of his own brain? The viewer must make his own inferences.....

He is supposed to just be a kid in my eyes anyway, but hell, take the storyline down any route you want. That's the beauty of short movies eh? =]

Thanks guys

Jessie

doiadhd
06-30-10, 06:15 AM
I'd like to see a hyper short movie....thats what it would be,short bursts of impulsiveness restlessness then shots to him/being free,as in my case reading books and for Conor indoor kyte flying...at my age now,i am a plasterer,which is pretty hyper work....

Just played a short of my life in my head....it is the way some/most of us think,in shorts....not short shorts,even though we like short shorts...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZBrpBWCYqg

Young Silk
07-04-10, 08:54 AM
Well done. This reminds me of when I was young. The lonely undercurrent is good too.

sharblu
08-07-10, 04:11 PM
I love what you've done with your video, coddersjnr.

Makes me want to jump on my old bike again and peddle as fast as possible in the wind. Running in a field like that and then laying down in it sounds really nice, too. All these things is like an escape to a world where you don't have to think about the usual day tasks and just let the mind wonder and explore on its own.

You transitioned the music just right with the clippings of video. When the music started picking up I had a pretty good feeling that it could be Sigur Ros. :) They do great music.

Nice job. It's a creative inspiration and shows awareness.

ugoclick
08-07-10, 04:41 PM
Hi, Great video, I found it very subtle and uplifting.

ZiggyFry
08-20-10, 11:32 PM
Very awesome.

I'm horribly literal, so when he ran up to the wall I half expected some crazy parkour moves. :D

I think it would be interesting to make it a series of short films for different age groups. They could have some of the same basic themes/symbols/metaphors, but they could showcase the development of the person with add along with the different problems and coping mechanisms.

Now that I've contributed something to the thread, I can say that I must have that shirt!!!!

Sin.Ziggy.

Edit: Ok maybe not that exact shirt, but one a couple sizes larger.

tinywiney
08-22-10, 09:34 PM
Nice job on your film - it captures what I remember being like as a kid, in my own world, daydreaming, then fixating on something in the room, then staring out the window into the distance. :)

When he's first on the bicycle he looks like he's got "his game face on," then you see what he's doing with his hands and he looks like he's a motorcycle racer, focused on the start.

In my case, my bike was a racehorse, and if I rode over to some nearby apartments' parking lot that had speed bumps, we were now in a steeplechase, and the speed bumps were jumps.

I see it as life can be frustrating when dealing with the outer world, (running into and trying to run up walls and banging your head against them), while at the same time so complete in the inner world. You brought back to me what that felt like, and how real it felt. :)

tired1823
04-24-11, 07:24 PM
I found this on youtube and posted about it.. then Schroeder gave me the link to this post. This video totally hit home with me. When I was younger and frustrated because I wasn't doing something well enough that everyone else could do, my feelings were hurt and I would think about the part of me that I love that no one else seemed to be able to acknowledge or value. This is something I've never shared with anyone but I think you really nailed it in this video with the music and all. I totally get all of it, actually even cried.. haha. It's beautiful and makes me happy to know that it's out there!

String
05-12-11, 02:03 PM
Beautiful video. I cried, too. Love the boy in the grass. I used to lay in the grass and daydream all the time. When I was in bed or in school, I would imagine being on my back in the grass. One time last year I was at the park with my kids, spread myself on my back on the grass, and they couldn't get me up, thought I was completely boring because I wanted to stay there and stare at the clouds and dream all day.

Thank you!

tired1823
09-11-11, 02:33 PM
Beautiful video. I cried, too. Love the boy in the grass. I used to lay in the grass and daydream all the time. When I was in bed or in school, I would imagine being on my back in the grass. One time last year I was at the park with my kids, spread myself on my back on the grass, and they couldn't get me up, thought I was completely boring because I wanted to stay there and stare at the clouds and dream all day.

Thank you!

I feel ya!