View Full Version : Any tips on starting, and keeping with it?

nyru40
07-02-10, 09:57 PM
My main issue, even with medication, is to actually get started on my work. I put it off WAY too much, and get focused on the wrong things. Even when I start, I usually only last for a few minutes. Sometimes I seem to be able to sorta hyper-focus on it, but I usually just can't start.

Does anyone have any tips for starting, and keeping with it?

DADHD
07-02-10, 10:21 PM
Really the medicine should be helping you with that. You might want to express these concerns with your doctor. That being said, I usually take my medicine then sit and watch tv for a half hour or so until it kicks in. Then I can normally just get right up and get started. For those days that it doesn't matter that I'm on meds, I really force myself up to get started, then I find it gets easier and I end up sticking with it. It helps me knowing that I have to do it and have no choice. I take my meds, sit there and watch TV, then I know I have a lot to do to get going so I force myself to start. Which involved waking the three kids up, getting them dressed, feeding them breakfast, then driving to my mom's house to drop them off, then to work, and so on. Usually once I get the kids up and dressed, I've started to build up my momentum and all is good. Weekends I need to fore myself a little harder because I know that, in all reality, I can sit there until the kids wake up on their own, then let them play for a few hours and never really HAVE to get them dressed unless I plan on going somewhere. What I have done to compensate that is keep the schedule on the weekends. No matter if we are going anywhere or not, I wake up and take a shower and get dressed. Then I wake the kids up by 8am and get them dressed right away. By then my meds have fully kicked in and I have my blood going. I have my drive for the day and I'm ready to do something. Only downside to this is that once I get me and the kids dressed, I'm disappointed if it is one of those days that I have no place to go or nothing to do.

nyru40
07-02-10, 10:24 PM
I know it should. I'm still working on the right dosage and medication, and it is helping, to some degree, but probably not enough.

Thanks for the advice! (and also good job dealing with your children! It'll be... interesting when I have kids. They'll probably think daddy is a little soft in the head, sometimes xD)

CrystalShiloh
07-02-10, 11:44 PM
I still struggle w/starting/stopping stuff. I hyperfocus on whatever I happen to be doing, while I am waiting for my meds to take effect, the whole day. I had the idea that I should set a timer, so I don't spend too much time doing one thing to the detriment of others. I am sure that would work. If only I were able to start putting it into practice...

DADHD
07-03-10, 07:21 PM
I'm lucky enough to not lose track of time. I just can't stop myself doing something I like doing until the last possible minute before I HAVE to stop. I am all too aware of the clock and am always thinking "I have 6 more minutes till I have to stop" Then when 6 minutes pass I'm like "I'll stop in 3 more minutes." This causes me too be late frequently.