View Full Version : Personal Assistant

paulbf
07-09-04, 10:43 AM
I just came up with the idea of hiring a personal assistant to take care of things like paying bills and keep me on track. This would be sort of like coaching in a way because most importantly, I want the help to get my self employment on track and bring an end to the procrastination. If this works, I can start making money again and it should pay for itself easily.

My thinking is that coaching (which I tried) was aimed at trying to change me into a normal person so that's why I really didn't stick with it. That meant I had to want to change but I really don't want to change, I just want help getting things done.

A quick search of an on-line classified service produced numerous hits under the category of "nanny" where folks also help with shopping, bill paying, etc. Unfortunately I don't have any kids. What I need is also an accountant to do the billing for my business and probably calling clients, reminding me to keep up with them, a million things like that, almost like a business partner except I'm the boss. I imagine once I get on track I might not need so many services but it'll be a lot to start with.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Do you think I might be on to something? Anybody who is well organized and patient and non-ADD could do these things for me. It doesn't need to be someone with a college degree even but they need to be mature and patient. I imagine there are plenty of people who could do this and need the work.

Thinking of the Niel Young song "A Man Needs a Maid"

... just someone to keep the house clean, fix my meals and go away...

I'm really sick of seeing shrinks and taking medication and all that. I know what I need, why not just get that and quit fighting it?

fasttalkingmom
07-09-04, 12:00 PM
people do this ! ....... If I had the extra money, I'd be right there with ya on this one.

If you can wing it and it helps and you find the right person or persons why not go for it?

Don't people who have business, small or large, have people to keep things in order ?

My personal assistant wish list :

Twice a week housecleaner
Someone to help me pay my bills on time
Someone to remind me of appointments

Oh wait, I kinda do have someone.......My MOM... she doesn't do windows though... :)

let us know what you decided

paulbf
07-09-04, 12:24 PM
I've got some money but it won't last long unless something changes so I figure this will be an excellent investment. I'll talk to my shrink about it Monday. The biggest problem will be finding the right person. Might need to bring my coach back in to help me accomplish that LOL!

fasttalkingmom
07-09-04, 12:31 PM
I think your on the right track ! :)

NightStar
07-09-04, 04:59 PM
I would be interested in similar area of getting help, but would need someone more in the know about business then myself. Someone that could come in, and direct me, until I felt confident to run with the duties of the business on my own.

irish guy
07-09-04, 05:41 PM
A cheaper alternative may be to just have your bills directly withdrawn fron your account. It will save you the money of an assistant, and keep you on track. I do this with many bills.

paulbf
07-09-04, 06:15 PM
Irish,
I've got on-line bill pay but it requires supervision with varying expenses like utilities & it can take me all day to go through the program and sort things out. Better than nothing I guess but not a magic bullet.

NightStar,
I know what needs to be done, I can explain it to someone. I just need some common sense supervision. I agree it probably does not need to continue at full nanny level for long once I get things together & get in the swing.

waywardclam
07-09-04, 06:22 PM
Oh DAMN I wish I could afford a personal assistant... :( :( :(

Tara
07-09-04, 07:06 PM
I think that is great idea too. If you work with a good ADD Coach he or she will not try to turn you into a "normal person". He/she will try to focus on your strengths instead of trying to improve your weaknesses. Helping a client delgate duties and responsbilty to others is something that many coaches work with their clients on.

Many successful people with AD/HD do have personal assistants.

Depending on how many hours you want somebody I bet you could hire a college student or even a highschool student. The summer would be a great time to find a student. He/she could begin working full time over the summer than once the school year begin the hours could be cut down.

FlakeyGirl
07-09-04, 08:10 PM
I don't know who you use to pay your bills online, but the service I use is so easy....I don't even get paper bills in the mail anymore, not car, insurance, utilities or anything. They email before the payment is due. I pay each account manually(no EFT) or you can set it up to make automatic drafts or a combination. I put all the email in a separate inbox folder and it takes me literally five minutes to pay them. What takes longest is waiting for the page to load:rolleyes: . You (or anyone) can pm me if you want the name of it, its no secret I'm just not sure if that would be spamming.

paulbf
07-09-04, 10:03 PM
Good points Tara about stengths versus weaknesses! and knowing when to delegate... and looking at students!

Wayward and others who think this idea is not affordable, it is also possible to find a job somehow where you get support or fill a role in a larger organization where those tasks are not part of the job description.

Flakey, Unless you are an employee of that company, please go ahead and tell. I use Quicken Home & Office 2002 and my personal finances are hopelessly intermingled with business accounts. My bank offers a connection to that for actually sending the checks or wiring. I need to turn on the software periodically to actually make them go through (which I've come to dread) and I end up over-paying some accounts by months and mis-understanding wierd insurance schedules that go monthly for half the year and new business liscense and sales tax stuff where if I'm late, there's penalties and forms... then there's parking tickets (a regular expense for me) and billing clients etc. I've got every penny tracked in Quicken and categorized to send to the tax guy. In theory I could print out all sorts of budgets and pie charts and fancy stuff. I never actually balance my checkbook though. If there is a discrepancy I just add a fudge number and move forward. I used to have a credit line attached to my checking just in case. For the repeating bills, I've got twenty scheduled transactions with various schedules and properties all more or less set up. It's quite interesting but...

FlakeyGirl
07-09-04, 10:24 PM
Oh, I see, it does sound very complicated. I just have my personal finances. I use my banks online service (all the larger banks have them). My husband uses it for business as well. As I understand it, as long as you have an account number that you can reference, you can use this service to pay it. It would probably even work for tax accounts. I am not sure about accounts recievable.

If your personal and business finances are comingled, I'm not so sure a regular assistant could help you with that, nor would I trust that they'd be able to even if they were willing. You could hire a CPA for a week or so on a contract basis to help you striaghten it all out, I am sure they do that sort of thing all the time. Once you had things under control, an assistant could help maintain.

irish guy
07-09-04, 11:41 PM
[QUOTE=paulbf]Good points Tara about stengths versus weaknesses! and knowing when to delegate... and looking at students!

Wayward and others who think this idea is not affordable, it is also possible to find a job somehow where you get support or fill a role in a larger organization where those tasks are not part of the job description.

is the assistaint business or personal? i can see help for a business.

paulbf
07-10-04, 12:09 AM
Business and personal are one and the same for me.

FlakeyGirl
07-10-04, 11:22 AM
How does the IRS feel about that?

paulbf
07-10-04, 11:34 AM
We use a tax guy. I can't deduct the mortgage. I deduct half the car, cell phone and computer expenses. I keep a log of car mileage. I hardly make any money anyways currently so it's not like I'm a big player. The tax guy would prefer that I separate the two but that would be ridiculous the way I operate.

I don't spend much either. My car is 16 years old.

Patricia
08-21-04, 04:03 PM
I've been trying to find some sort of personal asssistant but can't find one. I too have looked for housekeepers, etc. but not exactly what I'm looking for. I need somebody to tell me where to get started and what's most important and to break down tasks for me and to also actually help me with the tasks or they cook while I get other things done.

charlie
08-21-04, 04:40 PM
Older thread, just wondering if you ever found anyone Paul?

paulbf
08-22-04, 07:49 AM
Nope, still kinda floating in limbo but thanks for asking!

laurap414
06-13-05, 11:50 AM
WOW this is a great idea. Think about it -- an ADD coach will charge somewhere like $75 to $100 per hour. Contrast this with a personal assistant who you can get for maybe $15. The charm of this, for me, is that I would have a physical person in the house with me. I read this article in ADD magazine about having a "body double". While I think they picked an incredibly crappy name for it, they were simply talking about having a person physically present with you in the room to keep you on track. Something about having that other person there keeps ADD people focused. You could have them come like once or twice a week. Then, you could help them and they could help you. If nothing else it would force you to get some things done like filing.

kelsi111
02-25-06, 03:31 PM
The IRS would view them as an employee to you (or contractor) if you are self employeed. If they do both business and personal you should set yourself up as a company, which you ought to do anyways, and have the company pay for it. That way you don't have to pay corporate taxes on the money that you pay for your assistant. Even if they do "personal" stuff, that opens up time for work stuff that you can do.

You should have them set up as an independant contractor and make them sign something to that affect. I'm hoping on getting into independant contractor stuff and I'd like to do the same thing so good luck to you.

Scattered
02-25-06, 04:47 PM
It's a great idea if you can afford it. A lot of successful ADD business folks basically were able to hire good people to do what they're bad allowing them to focus on their strengths.

The most successful profectionally I've ever been was when I had someone else arranging the enrolling, bill collecting, setting up, cleaning up and every other kind of detail for the seminars I taught. I just got to show up and talk!:D

An assistant around the house for bills, groceries, laundry, housecleaning and the rest would be a dream almost too good to be true. Then I would be free to be an ivory tower egghead -- something I'm actually qualified for.:)

Scattered

psico175
05-16-06, 09:05 AM
I wish I can find a internet pro help cause now I can't affort more therapist...I have had canceled and of the resson is that I am broke at this moment..my car dosn't work and I have so many things to pay that I donīt know where to beging....This kind a live it will be for ever??

dormammau2008
05-16-06, 11:52 AM
hi psi ......no it woll get better but it take time .........star one thing at time in the week if you have over dets then better to get some help its help you to help yourself .........>>>iam allways happy to chat with you if you need any more help tips dorm

ButterflyEffect
05-17-06, 01:54 PM
This is a pretty old thread but thought I'd chime in here. I am the person you are all looking for - not me specifically, but this is what I do for a living. My boss is ADD and can be very hyperactive in the office. Most of what I do is keep him organized and where he needs to be when he needs to be there, check over his email to make sure he sees what is important, handle sales calls, help him to manage his time better, ect. I don't do household chores for him as we are in an office setting ;-). This arrangement works great as my boss allows me a flexible schedule to take care of my home resonsibilities and being very organized allows me to complete my tasks faster than many.

One thing I did want to bring up though. Although I love what I do, I do get paid very nicely for it. To have someone managing the sticky aspects of life (keeping you on track) and to have them invested in "your" success you will need to pay them well. The old addage you get what you pay for is oh so true. I would probably look for something else if I wasn't paid well, even though I love what I do - I have to eat and pay my bills afterall, plus I get the added bonus of going home to an ADD family. If you take the time to find a good fit personality wise and you commit to paying for the assistance you need this can be a very positive experience for all, but to say a coach costs $75/hr and that you should be able to pay someone $15/hr to do basically the same thing without actually trying to change you is only going to get you someone who will leave when the going gets tough, which we know is going to happen at some point. It would be better to pay more and get what you really need as far as assistance AND loyalty. BTW I don't make $75/hr, but I do make quite a bit more than $15/hr.

Ian
05-19-06, 11:04 AM
I'd bet you'd have some keen observations on some of the pitfalls that most of us miss. I hope you can post a little primer here for us on how to hit the big ticket items effectively.
Cheers!

JimiS
05-29-06, 07:59 PM
This is why many of us marry NTs (Neuro-Typical, Thanks Crazy-Feet), so that we have some balance in life..

My wife is very much NT, so she handles the things that she knows I cannot deal with.. I am starting to work myself in to the activities that I don't like to deal with such as; Bills, routine house maintenance, shopping, appointments, etc.

What I had to do before I met her was get a big piece of card stock and draw grid lines on it, then put a piece of transparent plastic(or plastic wrap from the grocery store) then I could (month to month) renumber the days on the calendar and jot down what I needed to do and when.

I found it helpful to put this in a place that you'll always see it so that you are constantly reminded of what needs to be done..

Also getting a File Carrier (http://www.pendaflex.com/enUS/Products/File_Carrier.html) (click on link) to stash your bills by due date, or company name (Which ever is easier for you) that way you can just handle the things you need to instead of getting overwhelmed..

Hope this helps.. A personal assistant can be expensive, but if you can train yourself to use things like I mentioned then you can feel more at ease about life..

Crazy~Feet
05-29-06, 08:10 PM
You are very welcome Jimi, now if only I knew how to train an NT ;) I bet I could make a fortune! If I ever learn how I will be sure to contact you OP :).