View Full Version : OCD and OCPD Are Different

CrystalShiloh
07-05-10, 05:39 PM
I am often first asked what the P in OCPD stands for (Personality) and secondly, how OCD and OCPD are different. The following is an article I came across that distinguishes the two disorders:

http://www.ocdonline.com/articlephillipson6.php

Abi
07-06-10, 01:23 PM
I'm too lazy to go and read that artcle, but as far as I've know, OCPD is basically OCD-lite

The Audience
07-18-10, 11:48 AM
I don't think they're that different. I view OCPD as OCD but on a much broader level.

Sirrah
07-18-10, 01:11 PM
I'm too lazy to go and read that artcle, but as far as I've know, OCPD is basically OCD-lite

Personality disorders in general, are anything but lite. Much more pervasive and much harder to treat.

tomlinson
07-18-10, 04:43 PM
I don't think they're that different. I view OCPD as OCD but on a much broader level.

Not sure why you think that...

Having read the linked article and other material, I see that the two are
quite different indeed.

The Audience
07-20-10, 05:47 AM
Not sure why you think that...

Having read the linked article and other material, I see that the two are
quite different indeed.

Well what I mean is, I see that OCPD is a personality that's rigid, controlled, fastidious..ect, ect. But to me I see that as a broad range OCD that shapes the entire personality. The compulsion to control one's surroundings and one's self as a way to circumvent anxiety is like that of OCD but on a much grander scale.

Rampage
08-07-10, 09:47 AM
I used to think my husband had OCD, but now I think he has
OCPD.

People with OCD typically are obsessive or worry over things
that are uncontrollable or irrational. Like...I may have OCD
because I'm intensely worried my house will burn down and I
have to drive home even though close to my destiatoin, because
I have an uncontrollable need to check the stove.

People with OCPD tend to be obsessive or highly critical/controlling
about others and the way those people perform.

So, my husband..I wonder if he has OCPD when he lectures me about which dish towel I use to clean the counter or about how to wash the dishes properly (I fill sink with soapy water and soak dishes but
he becomes unglued if I don't just fill the bowls with water on
the counter to soak).