View Full Version : How many vegetarian/vegans or..

Juice
07-05-10, 11:40 PM
people with special dietary considerations ( not Feingold:p)

I have thought about this a lot , unlike most things :rolleyes:

I have been eliminating foods from my diet since high school.
Even when I was a lot bigger and in peek ++ physical condition I was "fussy" about what I ate.
I was a pain in the a** when I ate meat and I am a pain in the a** now.

I haven't had processed foods in years. I don't eat anything I can't pronounce which means I try my best to eat clean and healthy.
I work out a lot.
I had a Haagen Daas addiction before I became vegan and I was skinnier than now. I think I was lactose intolerant like most people and I needed some rules in my life to eliminate the problem.
I became vegan over 3 years ago for health reasons.
I think a big part of what keeps me vegan is the poor animals.
I could never harm and/or keep in captivity another sentient being . I think this has something to do with how I was treated undiagnosed.
I won't even mention factory farming or the environment .That's for another forum ;)
I have evolved to about 80% raw vegan. This is mostly as I don't cook and I LOVE salads and fruit sooo much.
I also really like to eat this way.It makes me feel good!

In hindsight I think my changes over the years were a result of instinctively feeling that some foods made me feel funky.
I had no clue I was ADHD when I started this journey .

What about you ?:)

Rebelyell
07-06-10, 12:25 AM
Does chocolate count?:D

Juice
07-06-10, 11:23 PM
If it makes you happy and you feel good ..its all good :).

Abi
07-07-10, 01:42 AM
The Good Lord / Mother Nature / whatever you believe in intended Man to eat MEAT.

(Off to get a juicy steak).

Just kidding guys :) I respect your choices, but I'd never give up MEAT, (& FISH & FOWL)

inocula
08-15-10, 01:15 PM
i just started, i think this is going to be a good thing for me. meat and dairy are not good thing to ingest and nobody tell you cause money.

qinkin
08-20-10, 11:52 PM
i just started, i think this is going to be a good thing for me. meat and dairy are not good thing to ingest and nobody tell you cause money.
Well it CAN be good if you are consuming natural fed meats in moderation. . . Chickens I think are meant to feed on insects, not grains. BTW

HEYHEY

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/feb/13/business/la-fi-dairy13-2010feb13

So now, organic milk must be grass-fed cows...They must be pretty much totally grass fed.

sweet...just happened!>>"The rules, which will go into effect June 17"""

I don't know what happened to the other thread, nobody responded.

Perhaps we need to eat insects. . lol..

inocula
08-24-10, 03:47 PM
i don't eat meat at all, no milk no cheese at all, no eggs, veg and fruits, look your hands, are made to grab fruits not killing animals, you don't have claws....:)

qinkin
08-25-10, 11:44 AM
:)Man is an omnivore. A simple truth. I refuse to eat like a peanut-brained koala bear..I've been vegan before..But you cannot be serious about not using any animal derived substances.. That's not even natural..

We can't be meant to be vegetarians, the nutrients we need, from eating just fruits and veggies aren't complete.. Which may be why vegetarians tend to become more prone to depression... Perhaps mono-culture crops is partly to blame for the over-consumption of animal-derived nutrition

Unlike most animals, we have the tools for eating just about anything.. I dunno, I guess there isn't a way around being an omnivore.. No need to be defensive.. There is nothing to run away from..

Other than short-cutters in the industry, who don't raise their animals like they are meant to be, and have been ever since, before the 20th century.. (cows are strict vegans)... (they have a very different kind of digestive system).. I mean even the grass evolved to be grazed on by ruminant animals. .

BTW, I'm pretty sure I could fashion my nails into somewhat lethal claws.. . (or just make an arrowhead and connect it w/pole or whatever).. We are the most dangerous species to F***w/.. Better not!! If we treated animals and could accommodate their nature's better, we'd have less difficulties, all around..

I dunno why, but kindness and respect for nature is pivotal to a prosperous life. . You must understand and appreciate our nature..

After all, the cow's populations would not be so large, if it weren't for raising them for their milk or meat. . Just saying, that their bodies were physically meant for grazing... Feed them corn and grains all the time, they get really sick, (that's why they also have to killed so soon) and their meat no longer is fit for eating..

~~~~.>

Squirrel
08-25-10, 06:42 PM
Writing a message on the internet using a computer is completely "natural"? Given the availability of B12 supplements derived from bacteria, there's no need for most people to consume animal products if they have access to an abundance of food and the resources to educate themselves on how to put together an appropriate diet.

I personally can't justify eating something with such a large environmental impact, especially when I never particularly liked meat or most dairy. Just because I can eat them, which actually isn't the case for dairy, doesn't mean I ought to. I should add that I can't say I've seen any sort of effect on ADHD symptoms though, just reduced proneness to infections.

There's actually some data to suggest that vegetarians are less prone to negative emotions (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20515497) as well as anxiety (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9866269), so I'd strongly question the existence of a causal link between a vegetarian diet and depression, given that there are lots of confounding factors.

qinkin
08-26-10, 10:00 AM
Given the availability of B12 supplements derived from bacteria, there's no need for most people to consume animal products if they have access to an abundance of food and the resources to educate themselves on how to put together an appropriate diet.

I just oppose all or nothing thinking.

Supplements.. Aren't as bioavailable, though.. If you want to get complete proteins from bacteria, I'd suggest learning how to make natto...I think you'll need to purchase the bacteria called natto-bacillus or something like that.. U'd still be consuming single celled organisms..:p

I'd suggest culturing your own yogurt from whole milk organic milk...Just be a lacto-vegetarian.

You run out of options to choose from! You wouldn't be able to eat much even at family gatherings.. Less you make an exception for these times..

That Treehugger guy, invented this "Weekday Veg" diet, only allows eating meat on weekends.

Yogurt: Doing it yourself is simple and also, you can culture it longer.. (i do mine for like 24 hours! now).. I need to learn how to culture soy..(b/c unfermented is dangerous)

We have to keep in mind though, vegetables contain antioxidants, but they also contain hormones, and substances that in very large quantities may cause illness as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20515497
::::
Sounds good, but I need more than an abstract.. Maybe it's hard to find.. Questionairre, is subject to placebo related (being on a diet, feeling better about decisions/self).. not totally unfounded, but still..

diet analysis found more nutritional antioxidant agents levels in the vegetarian group in comparison with the no-vegetarian group.
Once again though, the vegetarians may be caring more about what's going into their bodies by default, so may be consuming more antioxidant rich substances...

I need to know exactly what was the intake of the foods, and their nutritional contents, the differences between the vegetarian(non-vegan?)and non-vegetarian groups..
:confused:
Like if the meat-eaters were eating organic-grass fed dairy products, and/or free range-insect fed chicken/eggs..

And how was their meat prepared? Was it pre-spiced before cooking to reduce the content of free-radical causing agents? How much meat? What kind of non-vegan substances? Tea, which group drank more tea?

Humans can maintain healthy and true to their nature cognitive capacities, b/c of their diverse diet.. . IMO... Spare nothing when it comes to the quality of any given food!!!

http://www.vegetariannutrition.org/food-pyramid.pdf

To me, eating (unfermented eggs) is almost less inhumane than eating a bunch of live and active bacteria..:D

inocula
09-18-10, 03:08 AM
Human isn't made for meat, look for example the cat, truly carnivorous...the cat has the gut system straight so the ingested meat can go through fast and don't fermentate and putrify in the digestive system, the ph of the blood is acid way more than human, he has the enzyme to manage urease..... in contrast the human has his degestive apparatum long and with lots of turns so you have to ingest very digestive food otherwise it remain there and acidification process start cause of the putrification of food, that's what happen all days in human digestive system, the acidity of the blood is about 7.3 and if we eat meat we acidify our system and here the explanation of osteoporosis and all the human desises..... isn't true that human is onnivorous, human don't need too much protein, and the animal protein need an incredible amount of work to be used... we have to unlearn a lot and the medical society and the fda has no reason to tell the true, they go very well in this way, tons of meat sell every day, so at age of 40 you start to have the beginning of the hill and start to take your dayly dose of meds, may be you have acid reflux, or all sort of desisas....look around, with all those sientists all those meds and all information hour life is based on medications, why? why we need all of them, why the human body need all this chemical helps?

qinkin
09-18-10, 12:32 PM
Interesting perspective, I've read stuff like that before.

Well EVERYONE needs help..

I agree w/some points, and I felt like I didn't really say what I actually believe too much from my last post.. .

So to reiterate what I actually believe.. Humans have evolved to eat some meat, but the human digestive system would prolly do best eating mostly fresh raw veggies and fresh raw fruits..

Organic is the other most important aspect in all of the food pyramids, and no one should learn to expect any less..

I guarantee our ancestors only ate ORGANIC non-GMO foods, that is the only thing I am absolutely sure of, along w/eating raw fresh veggies and fruits..

Some humans digestive systems evolved to eat a 0 fiber diet..

Gut flora are more detrimental than fiber is.. Ultimately.. Most people do not know this. I just found this out.

http://www.tvernonlac.com/gutflora.html

http://www.gutsense.org/gutsense/flora.html

It is true that humans are omnivorous....It is not true that cows and chickens (or humans) can live on corn or protein very well..We have our brains, b/c of the variety of nutrition we have come to acquire based on our motility.. (?)My grandmother is 96 years of age, and still has a reasonable amount of wits about her, has eaten an omnivorous diet her entire life...A little sensitive to alcohol, throughout her life.
:)

qinkin
09-29-10, 10:57 AM
, tons of meat sell every day, so at age of 40 you start to have the beginning of the hill and start to take your daily dose of meds, may be you have acid reflux, or all sort of diseases....look around, with all those scientists all those meds and all information hour life is based on medications, why? why we need all of them, why the human body need all this chemical helps? Must say though, well put. it does make one wonder.. so ..

How to be a vegan?

I'm very interested in trying fermented soy foods.. especially after reading the nutritional content of these vegetarian sources of nutrition.

How to Meet Your Protein Needs without Meat: A Guide to Vegetarian Protein Sources

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=158

Which Foods Contain the Most Antioxidants?->

http://drbenkim.com/articles-antioxidants.html

My better judgment tells me not to eat non-fermented soybeans.. I have to share the source where I found this out... My uncle gave me and pops this article from a newspaper article a couple years ago.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/10/07/the-evidence-against-soy.aspx
Now, I’m not against all forms of soy. Properly fermented products like natto and tempeh have been consumed for centuries and do not wreak havoc in your body like unfermented soy products do.

roberski
11-08-10, 11:28 AM
I was a vegetarian for a long time largely because when I'm not on medication I find a lot of food textures extremely unpleasant.

What switched me back is I took a trip to Japan before I went I decided that if I was going to pay 1500 dollars and fly for 13 hours to see a different culture that I should eat like they eat, and at least try anything I was offered.

I found that I felt better if I introduced chicken and fish (especially fish wild fish is ridiculously good for you.) Since I've done that I will now occasional eat red meat if it's from a good source (hormone free at the least, grass fed preferably).

I consider factory farmed meat to fall under my category of 'overly processed'.

I think that it is a lot harder to balance a Vegetarian or Vegan diet, and a lot of people don't do it well and become unhealthy as a result because they try to replace the meat with what amounts to processed junk. When if they don't want meat or milk they need to just stop eating them and eat more of the other good stuff (nuts, fruits, veggies, and some whole grains) not try to replace them with some soy concoction.

Amtram
11-08-10, 12:30 PM
I was primarily vegetarian for over a decade. I didn't eliminate dairy or fish because I love eating out (and so do my friends and family) so I had to have something I could find on almost any menu.

I lived close to stores that sold organic and humanely raised animal products, and paid the extra to get them.

Moved. Getting these becomes a major issue involving a 40 minute drive each way. Bit by bit I start introducing whatever comes closest that's available locally. Then I start reading about how a high protein diet can possibly help my ADD. Then I get blood tests that show I'm borderline for diabetes pills. Plus, I've gained 40 pounds in my decade of healthy eating.

Changing back to an omnivorous diet has helped me tremendously with all of that. I still pick my animal products with as much care as I can in this food wasteland, and keep a cooler in the back of the van to pick up more humane products when I happen to be in the neighborhood of the stores that sell them. I still cook more vegetarian meals than meat based meals every week. Even small actions are better than none.

There's no one diet that works for every human on earth. Many people who descended from a geographically concentrated population have dietary needs based on the foods their ancestors had available (check out genetic food tolerances or intolerances like hemochromatosis) and some people simply feel healthier or happier eating in one particular way.

I agree that we should be much more conscientious about how our food is raised - both animal and plant food - but we can't expect to change the world. We can make small impacts; we can influence those around us. Arguing that one food choice or another is better than others isn't going to do that, though.

When you make a dietary choice that works for you, you can expose its benefits by example by being admirably healthy or by serving some of your favorite foods to friends. Once you start saying that your way is better for some reason and start criticizing other people for theirs, all the communication shuts down and you have defeated your purpose.

Mocodity
11-08-10, 06:53 PM
It's always so hard to tell the difference between the health-conscious and the disordered eaters.

Anytime somebody tells me they have severely restricted diets because they're some variant of vegan I can't help but skeptically think they're hiding an eating disorder. Anybody too into controlling diet and exercise makes me think that.

inocula
12-17-10, 04:49 PM
It's always so hard to tell the difference between the health-conscious and the disordered eaters.

Anytime somebody tells me they have severely restricted diets because they're some variant of vegan I can't help but skeptically think they're hiding an eating disorder. Anybody too into controlling diet and exercise makes me think that.

you're right, to change your habits in diets something happen....to me it was the ritalin that make me do a research, i was experiencing bad breath or smell, really don't know right know what it was, but i had to quit cause all people in any situation point at me....so i did an extensive research to try to understand what was the mechanism behind this effect.....now i'm vegan because i found that is the best thing you can do to your healt...eat a lot of fruit and you'll feel better....if i wasn't feel disconfort caused by the ritalin i was eating the crappy stuff i ever eat. There is a big big business on food like you know, they want you to eat packaged food, because last longer, cost less etc etc, and your health is your problem, they want money...we are free to choose, but with this massive advertisment on crap food we don't think about it.

notsoplainJane
12-23-10, 10:52 PM
Anytime somebody tells me they have severely restricted diets because they're some variant of vegan I can't help but skeptically think they're hiding an eating disorder.

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, but that isn't a severely restricted diet.

Some meat-eaters actually eat things like fruit, vegetables, grains, and legumes -- without sprinkling meat all over them. :)