View Full Version : Why do people always talk about weight?

chris87
07-07-10, 12:57 AM
It seems like everyone I know has to remark about my weight. I wish they would worry about more important issues. I get the fact that I look awful. I don't need to be reminded on a daily basis.

I'm a 22 year old male and am 5'7" tall. Basically, I went from 146 to 125. I have had a pretty rough past few months, which is partly to blame. My Mom was very sick, I was having a hard time with school, my anxiety wasn't improving, I was feeling depressed, and nothing seemed to be going right.

Anyway, it's so annoying how people always have to mention it. Today, my sister said that I look so fragile, which makes me even more uncomfortable. Yesterday, she wouldn't stop talking about how I need to gain weight. Even my hair dresser had to bring up the subject. I suppose that technically, I should be happy to have people worry about me. Unfortunately, it's just so frustrating, especially with my family.

I just feel like telling people to leave me alone. Why do they care about my weight? It's not their concern. Sorry to be so negative...I've just been so frustrated.

ginniebean
07-07-10, 02:06 AM
Well, maybe it's because you are under weight and that does bring with it health issues. They aren't really expressing concern about your weight, they are showing concern for you because maybe you are scaring them at such a low weight.

sarek
07-07-10, 02:45 AM
As ginnie says, they are worried about you.

Perhaps if you show signs that you are on the ball and you are caring about your own health you would have a point.
Someone's weight is essentially their own concern, but only in so far as there is no apparent health issue that needs to be addressed and that your loved ones feel you are not acknowledging and addressing sufficiently yourself.

But if someone has a sickness or another reason beyond their control that would cause them to lose weight and people would still keep telling it to their face, that would be inappropriate and would only add to the pain.

Bringing the subject up is only right if it actually serves a purpose.

I remember my uncle's last birthday party before he passed away. Everyone kept telling us(the closest relatives) to our face that they thought he looked so bad, much worse than last time they'd seen him.

As if we could not see that ourselves! But there was nothing anyone could do.

I was almost in the mood to strangle the next one saying it. But my mother did not seem to be bothered at all, she did not even realise how hurtful it was.

charims
11-12-10, 05:29 AM
I have the same problem. I's 5'9" and I was down to 117 lbs. I have been trying really hard to gain weight. My doctor sent me to a dietitian who suggested that I move away from so many animal fats(I have high cholesterol from genetics) and onto more wholesome foods.

One great way i have found to gain weight is to drink Mammoth XL. It isn't cheap, but with whole milk you get about 1200 calories in one drink.(4 scoops, the jar goes quick) If you can get it down, you are well on your way to 3000 calories a day. I am up to 124lbs now. Also, get some granola bars, and protein bars. Make sure that every time you get salad, add oil to it(Olive/Canola oil has a LOT of healthy calories). Yes, you can add oil and then ranch dressing. Its not that bad as long as you don't overdo it.

Anyone else have suggestions?

I hate how everyone points out my weight, but I am trying hard to gain it all. My colleagues tell me to eat donuts.... lol. I don't want to look like them! Don't let the peer pressure get to you. Instead, every time someone mentions your weight, eat a granola bar or something!

ibisibis
12-16-10, 08:08 AM
I guess weight is the most obvious indicator of someone's state of mind/health, particularly if that weight suddenly drops or goes up. And yes, it is annoying when people constantly comment on it. All you can do is maybe agree with them "yes, I know, you're the 20th person who has said it. I'm working on it. Can we change the topic"