View Full Version : My symptoms of Tourettes Syndrome..please help!!

lisaw163
07-11-04, 01:17 AM
I am not sure if I have tourettes or not, I am still trying to determine. I have many symptoms of ts but I am not really sure. I will name them and would appreciate if you think from personal experience if it is tourettes that I have.

Constant moving of one of my legs, sometimes have to stop walking to shake it.

Opening my mouth wide and stretching it for awhile, with my eyes shut tight.

Shutting my eyes tight.

Moving my tongue alot and sticking it out.

Blinking alot.

When walking I have to walk with my feet turned in because its an urge i have.

my hands curl up near my shoulders and shake.

my head rolls around my shoulders while my eyes are shut.

I go to speak and sometimes all that comes out is the first word and it goes on for about 10 seconds or so.

Whenever I am not speaking, or trying to, I am always clicking my tongue off the roof of my mouth and making a clicking sound.

I breathe out and sigh alot.

I can never sit still.

At night it is really bad and while lying in bed my whole body shakes constantly and does not stop until I fall asleep.

I suck my stomach in alot as well as my cheeks and bite on my lower lip alot.

I clench my fists and then straighten my fingers out for awhile.

To me that seems like symptoms of tourettes, but most of you know more about it then I do. Im 16 and I have only been feeling it for the past 2 months or so, each day it gets worse and sometimes I find it hard to function with my hands because I feel the need to have them curled up so much. Can you guys give me some advice and tell me if you think it is tourettes? Thanks!
<!-- / message -->

Energizer_Bunny
07-11-04, 07:28 AM
Hi Lisa and welcome to forums.

By means are we are not doctors and are not equipped to diagnois you, so please keep that in mind.

The symptoms of TS generally appear before the individual is 18 years old and in your case you are 16. However, in your case you have just been noticing the symptoms for only 2 months. For a diagnosis of TS to be made, both motor and phonic tics must be present for at least 1 year. You may need to think about in time and see if you had symptoms that may not have been as noticeable as some of the ones you are experiencing now. In my personal case, when I was younger, it was just eye blinking, grunting, and opening and stretching my mouth open wide.

Also, are you ADHD and on any time of stimulant medication? Some of the stimulant medications can cause Tourettes type symptoms, or cause Tourettes that was underlying to become more apparent, which is part of what happened in my case.

From what you are telling me, it does sound like TS. My suggestion to you is to talk to your parents and get an appointment set up with a neurologist who specializes in movement disorders.

Please keep in touch and let us know what is going on and if you have any other questions.

I hope the best for you.

lisaw163
07-11-04, 10:24 AM
Thank you very much! I have had other symptoms for awhile but just thought it was normal. I have been blinking constantly for a long time and opening my mouth wide. I only really started noticing that I was doing it when I got full body shakes and always have to have my hands and arms curled up near my shoulder. I have never had problems with stuttering or anything until recently but now I can hardly talk at times because I have to slur the words around and click my tongue.

I am not on any medication and have not been diagnosed with ADHD. The only problems I am feeling are with the motor and vocal tics.

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the help!

Energizer_Bunny
07-11-04, 05:22 PM
You are very welcome Lisa. In my case I had gone to a psychiatrist for ADHD. In the process he said I believe you have Tourettes. I thought the man was actually off his rocker and that what was wrong with me was the hyperactivity from the ADHD. I was in denail for a long time until I was placed on a medication and then things changed and I was no longer in denial. I had gone from not realizing I had Tourettes to a high moderate/severe case of it. Thanks to the nurse where I work, she was able to get me some information from the TS Assoc. here in Houston and from there I found a doctor.

I can't express the importance of a good doctor and a proper diagnosis.

Keep in touch.

lisaw163
07-11-04, 08:55 PM
I noticed a couple new tics today..they may have been there before without me noticing. I barked for the first time today and I also found myself crossing my eyes and rolling them. Also when I was walking I found myself stopping to do something like a bow but my leg goes funny. This is confusing.

Piupau
07-13-04, 03:25 PM
Welcome here Lisa! To me it sounds like TS, but I'm no expert. I think like Energizer_Bunny that you should talk to your parents and go see a neurologist. If you don't tell your parents they might give you a hard time because they might think you're doing all that on purpose!

The first doc I saw 1 year ago just said he didn't see tics. BUT he saw hyperactivity and sent me to a psychiatrist specialized in adhd/ts/asperger. That new doc said I have adhd almost instantly, AND that I have TS. He saw my tics... tics even I wasn't aware of, I've become an expert on hiding the most obvious ones. But he had no doubt... I'm still amazed how he could see right through me... Or maybe some of these adhd-impulsive-overreactions in my limbs are tics too? ;) :p

Check out the doc you're going to see before you go there. He/she has to KNOW what TS is, not just say "I've read about it in a book once".

Many hugs to you Lisa and good luck in your search for wisdom!

Piupau
07-13-04, 03:32 PM
Btw Lisa. Don't get upset or afraid of TS. TS changes, tics come and go and they change and then they might come back again. If you read a lot about TS and what tics there are you might involentarily copy them, it might be the reson you're experiencing so many different tics. I know I copy tics I see. It's really hard when I see some funny movement some person does on the subway or something and I *H-A-V-E T-O* copy it!

And another thing. Have you been sick lately (last two months)? Had a sore throat? Fever? Something like that? If you do you should really se a doc because many kids get tics after an infection and most of them get rid of the tics with antibiotics! :) (make a search for "PANDAS and tics" on google or something)

Crazygirl79
07-05-05, 02:25 AM
Hey Lisa
How are you? I can relate to some of what you're saying and you're not alone in this.
1: I have problems with leg movements
2: I have problems with tongue movements
3: I can NEVER EVER sit still...lol

So yes I can understand what you're going thu

Sel :) I am not sure if I have tourettes or not, I am still trying to determine. I have many symptoms of ts but I am not really sure. I will name them and would appreciate if you think from personal experience if it is tourettes that I have.

Constant moving of one of my legs, sometimes have to stop walking to shake it.

Opening my mouth wide and stretching it for awhile, with my eyes shut tight.

Shutting my eyes tight.

Moving my tongue alot and sticking it out.

Blinking alot.

When walking I have to walk with my feet turned in because its an urge i have.

my hands curl up near my shoulders and shake.

my head rolls around my shoulders while my eyes are shut.

I go to speak and sometimes all that comes out is the first word and it goes on for about 10 seconds or so.

Whenever I am not speaking, or trying to, I am always clicking my tongue off the roof of my mouth and making a clicking sound.

I breathe out and sigh alot.

I can never sit still.

At night it is really bad and while lying in bed my whole body shakes constantly and does not stop until I fall asleep.

I suck my stomach in alot as well as my cheeks and bite on my lower lip alot.

I clench my fists and then straighten my fingers out for awhile.

To me that seems like symptoms of tourettes, but most of you know more about it then I do. Im 16 and I have only been feeling it for the past 2 months or so, each day it gets worse and sometimes I find it hard to function with my hands because I feel the need to have them curled up so much. Can you guys give me some advice and tell me if you think it is tourettes? Thanks!
<!-- / message -->

speedo
07-05-05, 03:08 AM
I do not have TS. However, in college, I had a prof who had TS. You could almost set your watch by the timing of his tics. He was a good prof, and a capable scientist and it did not seem to slow him down a bit.

Me :D

jaz-z0r
02-08-06, 10:52 AM
Hey Lisa ! I saw that you said you barked ! Heck, I think that's totally cool. I wish I had a friend with tourettes like myself, because when I have a vocal tic I have a feeling that I am embarrasing them. When we goto the movies I feel like I know that they are slowly moving away from me because I blurt out random stuff in the movie theater.
You have certainly found the right place to talk about this !
I hope we both find some help, since I have been dealing with this since I was 8, and now am almost 21.

Scattered
02-08-06, 01:13 PM
Lisa,

The leg shaking sounds a lot like Restless Leg Syndrome (my husband has that) and it's a common companion of ADHD. You can look it up on the net. The other symptoms do sound like they could be Tourettes type or ADHD stuff. I think one day they're going to end up recategorizing alot of this stuff by the genetic pathways they share -- because there is an awful lot of overlap between different diagnosis, especially Tourettes, ADHD, and OCD.

I do a number of the things you mentioned too -- the open mouth thing, biting cheek, tongue movements, etc. Some of the things you mentioned, especially the shaking in bed at night sounds a lot of severe anxiety -- in fact anxiety can make all the other symptoms worse. Have you seen someone about this? In the mean time, exercise is a really good anxiety reducer.

Scattered