View Full Version : sleeping pills and adderall

addtothebone
07-12-10, 07:18 PM
Hey, I was wondering with sleeping pills would be ok to take with adderall??

humandefault
07-12-10, 07:25 PM
Do you mean at the same time or taking Adderall in the morning and sleeping pills at night? Because, if you mean at the same time, the answer is no, it is not ok. The second thing is why would you want to anyway? Adderall is a stimulant, sleeping pills are depressants. Behaviorally, and emotionally, they will probably cancel each other out. At the very least, you'll feel kind of jittery AND tired, which is uncomfortable. However, physically (as far as heart rate, temperature control, breathing, coordination, and all kinds of other things) you will be putting yourself at risk. If, for some reason, you are required to take both, you should see a doctor to make sure it's safe. However, I can't imagine many cases (unless you're using an antidepressant that also works as a sleep aid) why doing this would be necessary, in the first place.
No matter what, this is your decision. So, either way, good luck.

DADHD
07-12-10, 07:31 PM
I take adderall xr in the morning and my doctor was going to give me sleeping pills for the evening. The adderall should have been worn off by then. I don't want sleeping pills because they make me sleep too deep and I am afraid I won't hear the kids if they get up. I take Vicodin for my back and that helps me sleep at night if I take it a couple hours before bed and it doesn't make me sleep too hard. Vicodin only makes me sleepy after it is starting to wear off. I choose not to take my Xanax at night either. Although it might not make me sleep too deep and is short lived, I don't want to take a daily benzo. I really need them to work for me for my upcoming court proceedings.

addtothebone
07-12-10, 07:36 PM
No, Not at the same time. Adderall in the morning and sleeping pill at night to help sleep faster and deeper. Will taking an otc sleep aid screw with my brain because of the adderall?? If not, then i would like to know what sleeping aid i should take. prescription or non prescription.

livinginchaos
07-12-10, 07:36 PM
They're fine (as long as you take Adderall and Ambien at opposite times of the day).

I've always been an insomniac. Always, ever since I was a baby.
I take Ambien 1-3x per week depending on how my sleeping is going. I've been on a variety of sleeping meds, but Ambien has worked the best for me.
I used to take Adderall (9 years) and my psychiatrist is the one who prescribed both to me.

addtothebone
07-12-10, 07:38 PM
Cool. Now does ambien make you tired in the morning??

lucidresq
07-12-10, 07:40 PM
See the psychiatrist who prescribes your Adderall. They will know best what medications are appropriate for your age, size, situation, sleep needs, etc etc.

DADHD
07-12-10, 08:20 PM
Cool. Now does ambien make you tired in the morning??

That's another thing. Many of the pills that make me tired leave me groggy the next day. Flexeril is the worst for me. I hate those things. Yeah, they relax me, but I don't need to be relaxed all night and half of tomorrow. Same with Klonopin.

Nothing worse than taking a pill to help you get much needed rest so you can feel refreshed, only to wake up and drag a** the next day. I could have stayed up all night long and did that.

humandefault
07-12-10, 08:48 PM
Well, I'm glad you're not doing them at the same time. I was confused lol
As for doing them at OPPOSITE times, I do the same thing. I've used EVERY sleeping med out there, Remeron was the only thing that worked, oddly enough. But definitely talk to your doc about what everything, since they know you better than we do.
Also Nothing worse than taking a pill to help you get much needed rest so you can feel refreshed, only to wake up and drag a** the next day. I could have stayed up all night long and did that. I totally feel you on that one! lol

livinginchaos
07-12-10, 08:51 PM
I take Ambien IR and it does not make me groggy the next day. Anytime I took an extended release sleeping pill it made my groggy and foggy the next day.