View Full Version : Male Eating Disorder

chris87
07-13-10, 12:42 AM
I think that I may have an eating disorder. This is really embarrassing, because I'm a guy. I'm 22, if that matters. For some strange reason, I am overly obsessed with my weight. I watch every piece of food I consume, and I am afraid of gaining weight. In a way, I feel like it's some odd manifestation of my OCD.

I am not exactly sure how this happened, but I think it evolved from when I was younger. I remember in elementary and middle school, I always felt slightly fat. Looking back, I wasn't obese or anything, but I probably could have lost some weight. During the summer of 8th grade, I went on a strict diet and went from about 162 to 150 by the start of high school. I hit a low of 125 in my junior year. When I look at pictures, I don't even think that I looked good.

Anyway, back in January of this year, I had creeped up to about 146. I had gotten sick with a stomach virus shortly thereafter, and the throwing up made me drop about 5 pounds (sorry for the detail). Since that time, I have been absolutely crazy and have monitored everything. It's now July, and I weigh 125. I'm so tired of obsessing about every stitch of food, running on the treadmill for 90 minutes everyday, weighing myself in the morning, etc. I'm pretty sure I probably look awful to people. Strangely though, I'm convinced that I have a fat stomach.

I feel pretty bad right now. My sister came downstairs saying that she's worried about me, and I almost thought she was going to cry. She thinks that I am skinnier than her, and that I exercise too much. I told her that I am fine and that she has nothing to worry about. I don't want her to be concerned about me.

I got so upset that I broke my rule about eating after 7:00 PM. This is some arbitrary rule that I've created. I basically opened the refrigerator and ate watermelon like it was going out of season. Now, I'm sitting here thinking about whether I'll be heavier when I wake up tomorrow.

I have no idea why I'm so messed up. I guess when I go see a PDoc again for ADD and OCD, I should get some help with this issue. How do I even bring this up and address it? I am so embarrassed.

StoicNate
07-13-10, 05:51 AM
How tall are you?
You just say what you wrote here to your PDoc on your eating issue.
I'm glad your trying to get help.

Overworking your body by not eating enough and exercising is truly harming your body.

chris87
07-13-10, 09:09 AM
How tall are you?
You just say what you wrote here to your PDoc on your eating issue.
I'm glad your trying to get help.

Overworking your body by not eating enough and exercising is truly harming your body.

I'm 5'7"!

forestcreek
07-15-10, 11:00 PM
I went through something similar. I went on Wellbutrin for depression/add and while it helped me succeed in school for a while I came back from college 125ishlbs. I was 167. You need to see someone for this because not eating will make your add symptoms worse and your body will begin to decay. My normally golden brown skin turned to ash and my under eyes had black circles around them. Are you currently on any stimulants? Stimulants and NDRI can worsen OCD. I take zoloft with my Adderall XR and my eating has improved, especially at night hehe :)

meridian
07-15-10, 11:13 PM
Hi Chris87,

My docs have commented that I was likely anorexic without even realizing it back about 30 years ago. I have been a "yo-yo" dieter for decades (see below).

You can check your BMI (just do a search for BMI calculator) and see where your Body Mass Index is in terms of ranges and categories.

I am male, 5'10" and -- as an adult -- have varied between 145 lbs and 232 pounds. Today I am at 210 and heading down at 1-2 pounds per week. My BMI has gone from "Obese" at a BMI of 33 to borderline between "Overweight" and "Obese" at BMI 30 now.

By the way, I found two things to be true for me: 1) if I keep track of calories (either with a notebook or recently with an app on my iPhone called "Lose It!" which can also help you gain weight) and 2) eating breakfast -- if I don't eat breakfast (just a bowl of oatmeal these days) I get much more hungry during the day especially towards nighttime.

Best of luck! Lots of men have this issue, it just isn't as "discussed".

tweetiebirdk
07-16-10, 05:06 PM
Hi, I am in late twenties , I had an eating disorder and bulemia nervosia from about 17 to 24, all my family eventually knew however although there were occassions where my mother threatened to have me carted off , it was something that I tried to deal with myself at home , I thought i would never get better and that noone does however in the end I went cold turkey and allowed none of it and although my eating habits are still not propper , I will put on weight and have instead of allowing myself begin it again. This I know from what Im aware is not the usual recovery but ...idk..

Anyway what i wanted to say is that if I could travel back in time I would tell my 16/17 year old self to just cut down on junk food and look at and try to stick to the food pyramid or a balanced diet or a 3 meals a day diet and do some balanced non obsessive healthy exercise. I know it sounds redundant and a kind of doctor robots advice, but sometimes the simplest things are the best , I would possibly have been thinner if i had done this.

I would also have said try to overcome your need to look like an ideal and the fear of being not attractive to others. Try and let go of this and deal with the percieved lack of perfection and opt for a healthier body,

I would also have said get help as soon as possible as it gets out of controll very fast. Dont be against talking to a professional and someone you trust before things get out of hand.

I know its hard but obsessing about wanting to look good now by drastic means is abandoning care to what you may be doing to your body and the future consequences , think about your future self.

Why do you feel this need to look thinner ? Where does it come from? Did something trigger it?

Also I think that it is very possible for many men to have eating disorders but will try to hide it even more than girls and I feel that many may have mild eating disorders or feel that they need to loose more weight than they really do. It is more embarrssing I suppose for them to admit it.

I hope things work out for you, I hope I make sense as ...I have anxiety on top of possible add / adhd.

Best wishes
Tweetb

die sonne maus
07-26-10, 10:06 PM
I wish you weren't embarrassed about having an eating disorder. Many people think eating disorders are only about 15 year old girls looking good in a bikini. That is so untrue. Eating disorders are one of control, anxiety, perfectionism, and obsession.

My advice for bringing it up to your pdoc is explaining that your obsessive behaviors are revolving around food. Tell them that you're wasting a lot of time fixating on food and weight and you need their advice. A good pdoc will realize that it's an extension of your disorder and is more of a symptom than anything else.

Keep us updated!

Myke
08-16-10, 09:22 AM
it'a ok to watch your weight as long as you do not hurt yourself. get involve in a nutritional prgram. always rememebr , being thin does not necessarily mean that you are healthy.. so you might want to go and check yourself out with a doctor to helpo you solve your prob

varsitymonsterr
09-15-10, 05:10 PM
Wow, Chris87, after reading your post, I almost have to make sure that I didn't post it under a different username because I have had the same concerns.

I have had OCD since I was, maybe...seven? Also, my weight has been what some may call an obsession for me over the past few years. I am 5'7, and in 2008 weighed 105 lbs. I'm twenty-years-old now and up to a healthy 148. But because of my ADHD, I am on Adderall (for a week now), and I have a feeling that I will most likely drop lower.

So Chris87, I definitely understand where you're coming from, and I understand why this would be something that you want to deal with. The fact that you recognize it and are worried should bring a bit of relief.

My advice, assuming that you want it, would be to mention it to your Pdoc, or if you promise not to read-into the symptoms and apply them to yourself -- basically, psych yourself out, -- then look up Anorexia Nervosa on the net or in a DSM-IV. Again, be objective because I believe that you will realize that your genuine concern is almost enough to exempt you from the diagnosis.

Still, it is most definitely worth mentioning to your Pdoc, and I strongly encourage you to do so.

-John

Febinocent
09-30-10, 12:19 PM
Counting calories is healthy as long as you allow your body enough nutrients to function properly. Don't deprive yourself of basic nutrients.

Delboy31
11-11-10, 11:27 PM
I think that I may have an eating disorder. This is really embarrassing, because I'm a guy. I'm 22, if that matters. For some strange reason, I am overly obsessed with my weight. I watch every piece of food I consume, and I am afraid of gaining weight. In a way, I feel like it's some odd manifestation of my OCD.

I am not exactly sure how this happened, but I think it evolved from when I was younger. I remember in elementary and middle school, I always felt slightly fat. Looking back, I wasn't obese or anything, but I probably could have lost some weight. During the summer of 8th grade, I went on a strict diet and went from about 162 to 150 by the start of high school. I hit a low of 125 in my junior year. When I look at pictures, I don't even think that I looked good.

Anyway, back in January of this year, I had creeped up to about 146. I had gotten sick with a stomach virus shortly thereafter, and the throwing up made me drop about 5 pounds (sorry for the detail). Since that time, I have been absolutely crazy and have monitored everything. It's now July, and I weigh 125. I'm so tired of obsessing about every stitch of food, running on the treadmill for 90 minutes everyday, weighing myself in the morning, etc. I'm pretty sure I probably look awful to people. Strangely though, I'm convinced that I have a fat stomach.

I feel pretty bad right now. My sister came downstairs saying that she's worried about me, and I almost thought she was going to cry. She thinks that I am skinnier than her, and that I exercise too much. I told her that I am fine and that she has nothing to worry about. I don't want her to be concerned about me.

I got so upset that I broke my rule about eating after 7:00 PM. This is some arbitrary rule that I've created. I basically opened the refrigerator and ate watermelon like it was going out of season. Now, I'm sitting here thinking about whether I'll be heavier when I wake up tomorrow.

I have no idea why I'm so messed up. I guess when I go see a PDoc again for ADD and OCD, I should get some help with this issue. How do I even bring this up and address it? I am so embarrassed.

All I can say is, your only 22, at least you realise you have a problem and for sure tell your doc about it. I too have OCD as well as add and depression, and I'm guessing that you would probably be beside yourself if you didn't get to weigh yourself in the morning, or were forced to eat a candy bar with friends.

Get help now, and save your body before you do damage that you may regret in the future. And for what? When you look back at this time you'll be so happy that it isn't your life anymore. Replace this behavior with something else. I know this is very OCD of me, but what I mean is replace it with something that isn't harmful.

I know this is all easier said than done and the one thing about an eating disorder is, that in my opinion it's one of the hardest diseases to kick. Nobody puts a bottle of Jack Daniels in front of an alcoholic three times a day. Your average drug addict in recovery isn't offered drugs three times a day in front of people telling them to take it. But issues with food are something that we all have to face everyday, whether it's undereating or overeating.

I wish you well. Don't be embarressed, I knew a guy that had this and it took him a long time to kick it, but eventually he did. Catch yours in the early stages and be well.

Imnapl
11-11-10, 11:32 PM
I just wanted to say that males with eating disorders are more common than you realize.

bumpey
11-12-10, 12:24 AM
Its good your seeking advise, and some great replys there. Your sister and others are worried, and thats normal, but just adds to the stress tho, could be a good thing as you asking for advise.

I would sugest iether yuo could be ok, and just natural, or counselling to get to the core of the problem, as it could be psycological. I had concerns from others, but i'm a phys junkie and get kicks off pain and exercise.

I'v learned that a ballanced diet and plenty of water to flush toxins out works for me, tho i dont stick to that, exept i drink loads of water. Theres so many diet fads out there, just getting the answers you want is the hard bit.

marshcraig
11-26-10, 06:35 AM
Unlike many women, who acquire eating disorders because they "feel fat," men often are medically obese at some point in the illness and feel pressure to be thin. Sometimes, athletic activities induce this struggle to be lean, prompting not only the eating disorder but also compulsive exercising. Men also may adopt certain behaviors when teased or criticized about being fat at critical development stages, such as puberty.

ibisibis
12-17-10, 05:44 AM
There are plenty of men with eating disorders, no health professional is going to be in the least bit shocked if you bring up your concerns.

Secondly, I disagree with the above poster who said that 'counting calories is healthy'. From years of dieting on and off, all I can say is that counting calories, or fat or carbs makes one totally obsessive about food and fosters an incredibly unhealthy relationship to it.

Instead of being necessary fuel and something to be enjoyed and savoured it becomes the enemy that you seek to control, but that controls you.

I have watched slim people and how they eat. Sometimes they will eat lots of food, (healthy or unhealthy), next time they might say "Oh I just don't feel hungry today" and eat hardly anything. They have no issues around food at all. They have no 'rules' about what, where and when they eat. They listen to their body. If they are hungry they eat. When they are full, they stop eating (and thus don't over-eat or binge).

In any case, please go and try and get this issue addressed to nip it in the bud so to speak

Becks
01-31-11, 06:52 AM
Are you actually depressed or restless? If you can't stop eating what causes you to eat more? Junk-foods? Because those contains so many types of hidden MSGs and flavor enhancers to make you keep eating.
Try plain food and see what happens means without much of supermarket sauces help. Whether your eating habit will change or not.