View Full Version : My cat got attacked by a raccoon

Tara
07-11-04, 11:14 PM
One of my cats got attacked by a raccoon late Thursday night. He's ok right now but really sore and has a broken leg.

I was sitting in on the computer at about 2:00 am Thursday night and though I heard what was cat fight. I started out the door to break up the fighi and say 2 racoons in the middle of the street and what I thought at 1st was cat up in the tree. I then heard some weird screeming sound in the tree and realized it was a baby racoon.

I then looked in to my driveway and saw another racoon beating up my cat Opie. I started screaming and none of them moved. I then ran in the grabbed stuff to throw at the racoon. I threw a pan and part of my vaccuum cleaner and the raccoon that was beating up Opie still didn't move. It finally ran away when I started pounding on the window screaming.

Actually it didn't run away it just moved away from my cat. Three adult raccoons and the baby all stood in the middle of street "talkling". I stood in my door way screaming at them and finally they started accross the street.

At this point I didn't know where my cat was or how bad he was hurt. I tried calling him in the from door and one of my other cats came in. She was ok. I then went the back porch and called him. I heard heavy breathings and opened the door.

There was poor Opie with blook all over his face. He actually made it up the step after the 2nd try. His back hind leg paw was dragging a long while he was walking.

At this point I screamed and woke my husband up. Somehow we went through the phone book started calling vets offices and got the number of a 24 vet hospital which was about 30 minutes away. We hopped in the car with the cat (in a crate) and took him there.

He ended up staying there until late saturday morning. He's now home and we have to take care of him. We need to keep his wounds clean, do phsysical therapy on this right leg, medicate him, etc. He's is really sore right now and not really able to move so we also have keep changing his bedding when he goes to the bathroom.

If this wasn't bad enough, we also have to other cats and have decided to keep them in at night. They aren't too happy about that...lol. I stayed down stairs last night with opie and tried to sleep on the coach. I swear everytime I fell asleep my other 2 took turns meowing to go out...

Draga
07-11-04, 11:38 PM
Awe Hugs Tara, Sorry That Happend but am glad he is ok...He is a Lucky Cat to have such caring owners:)

FlakeyGirl
07-11-04, 11:41 PM
What a bunch of bullying thugs! I'm glad Opie is okay. How long will he be recovering? I think your other cats may have other motives besides the usual cat strolling around stuff, they want revenge for Opie.

jaimegerise
07-12-04, 12:34 AM
Awwww poor catdoot.....

give him a treat and a fresh cockroach to play with LMAO

Tara
07-12-04, 03:13 AM
Well, I have some sad news... Opie passed away right after I wrote this. My husband is really upset. Opie was his grandmother's cat and his grandmother died about 3 years ago. So, I think it brings all that back too.

Draga
07-12-04, 03:21 AM
:( Tara BIG HUGSSSSSSSSSSS I am sooo Sorry....If I see a raccoon out here I kick em in da bullseye just for Opie.

Ian
07-12-04, 04:02 AM
So sad. ouch.

jaimegerise
07-12-04, 01:47 PM
Hugs to Tara and her hubbydoot, may Opie be in that big kitty playpen in the sky.

krisp
07-13-04, 11:31 AM
Sorry to hear about Opie, Tara! (Especially since he had extra-special meaning to your family.) :( I hope your other cats get used to their loss of freedom soon ... you definitely don't want them hanging out with that crowd.

QueensU_girl
01-09-08, 01:16 AM
Gosh, hard to control if they like to sneak out. Some kitties can be so fast!

I worry about parasites and them being attacked. Raccoons (and their poop) can carry Leptospirosis ("Lepto") and Roundworms.

I never [ever] let my cats out. They are all spayed/neutered and seem to be happy not to wander.

Learned my Lesson: One cat we let out (when I was younger) was HBC (hit by a car) and died. Never again!

Outdoor VS Indoor mortality:
-The average outdoor f/t"street cat's" lifespan is only ~2 years, I once read.
-Indoor cats can reach close to 20 years.

QueensU_girl
01-09-08, 01:20 AM
Sorry to read the update. :( [We have raccoons around here and they really go bananas protecting their babies too.]
I feel bad for everyone and all the animals involved. Gosh.

DimensionX
01-09-08, 01:21 AM
racoon would meet my size twelves if they picked on my cat!.....mind you, the cat in question has cornered a whimpering sheperd dog and other dogs are scared of it so it might not need help but still point stands

DimensionX
01-09-08, 01:21 AM
my cat is both indoor and out and is currently 15

~Ødd~Scr~θθball
01-09-08, 08:04 PM
Hi Tara, I am so sorry about the loss of your cat, Opie. I know all too well how emotionally painful such a loss can be. As many know I am a diehard cat lover~we are owned by 8 of them. It is not uncommon for racoons to attack other animals{Usually dogs} but I was wondering if those racoons could have possibly been rabid and the possible exposure of your injured cat to your inside cats.Mind you I'm not saying Opie contracted Rabies but here in the Georgia mountains there have been 6 confirmed cases of Rabid racoons and one rabid bat and I'm sure the disease is crosses state lines. I only mention this out of concern and as a pre~caution for All Pet owners to have their beloved pets Vaccinated against this fatal disease.
{{{{Hugs and Peace, Tara for the tragic loss of your very special kitty.}}}}}

Persephone
01-09-08, 09:48 PM
Hello Tara,
I'm very sorry that you and your husband lost Opie :(
It's so sad when a loved one (including our precious pets) passes away.
Persephone

auntchris
01-09-08, 09:52 PM
TAra I am so sorry to hear abut your beloved cat. All of us animal understand how attached we get to are furry friends.

Penny my dog this year gave me a scare. :rolleyes::o We were on a walk and on Detroit which is a busy street. She saw Mary and the ice cream store that are across the street. Mary just had crossed the street, she is the lady who watches her when I am in school.

Penny wears a gentle leader and it attaches under her chin, :pshe was able to unlatch and get free from the leash... OMG... She ran straight across the street. The love I have for penny I too ran right after her across the street, screaming STOP STOP... Penny... I ran with my arms out to the side and screaming. Penny stopped at the ice cream store and Mary grabed her by the collar and yelled at her.

The next day, I went to the pet store and replace her leash with one that she cant get off and detach herself from me... Oh what a smart dog, to smart for her britches.

She scared the day lights out of me... OH if anything would have happened... I know how you feel. Both, Penny and I are luck to be alive.

I am sorry to hear about your sweet sweet cat.

crazycat1990
01-08-11, 08:48 PM
I know this thread is quite old now, but I was sorry to read this about Opie, Tara. I understand the pain of losing a cat - our female Poppy was put to sleep last year due to hyperthyroidism that no longer responded to mediation, she was too old for surgery. But she was only 11 and a half :(

I know how distressing cat fights can be, our male cat Tango has been in a good few and one bite he received on one of his legs once gave him cellulitus, our vet said if we had left it any later to bring him we would have lost him.
But racoons...that is so tragic and such a shame.

Rebelyell
01-09-11, 10:29 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss of your fur baby.Them raccoons Im told are no joke and are very malicious an scrappy fighters.I thought same thing maybe they were rabid that they did'nt run.