View Full Version : Need Some Kind of "Diagnosis" Before Official Assessment

SamCurt
07-14-10, 11:01 PM
While I have already been diagnosed of ADHD and Asperger's long ago, there's a pretty serious problem that may or may not be related to the above. Right now I'm waiting for my assessment to be scheduled, and in the meantime, I feel like to ask you guys about what kind of condition I'm having here.

The problem itself is pretty simple, but serious: I don't seem to be able to organize my thoughts into language effectively, be it written or spoken.

Those who met me would immediately notice my speech is very interrupted, as I kept being "finding" a word that fits in what I'm thinking-- a teacher once commented that "[my] brain certainly runs faster than [my] mouth does," which pretty much summed up my problem.

In some cases (especially common when I was in college, asking questions to professors), what is produced is still unorganized and it took the listener a while before they understand what I'm saying.

My written language is relatively better-- my grammar is good and I can grasp style than my peers, but when I'm dealing something more complicated (like writing papers), it's still so hard to get to know how do I start... and like the case of spoken language, when things get complicated my writing can get into an unreadable mess even I am exhausted after producing something at all. It is only lately I have been able to rein this in control-- somehow-- by making myself bullet-point skeletons.

This has already been the main point of my performance anxiety, yet I still can't quite get what it is, and what to help... Any ideas?

EshkaronsEngine
07-14-10, 11:15 PM
I have a friend who thinks in symbols and his speech is noticeably slower. It's almost like a stutter. I think some1 that has this problem should do fine on a computer and especially if they can program it as well.

SamCurt
07-15-10, 12:02 AM
I have a friend who thinks in symbols and his speech is noticeably slower. It's almost like a stutter. I think some1 that has this problem should do fine on a computer and especially if they can program it as well.

That's... one thing, but as a aspiring biologist I still need to write and do oral presentations.

EshkaronsEngine
07-15-10, 12:12 AM
That's... one thing, but as a aspiring biologist I still need to write and do oral presentations.
I think you should use your hands and diagrams as much as possible. Good luck:rolleyes:

DADHD
07-15-10, 12:55 AM

I apologize for taking this thread off course but I have to ask about this. I often wondered if you could think faster if you could just visualize your thought and not narrate it to yourself. I mean, you already know what your going to say to yourself before you say it, why not skip that step. I wonder if you would be able to think 50 times faster.

How do you know he thinks in symbols? How did he create his symbol language?

EshkaronsEngine
07-15-10, 01:07 AM
How do you know he thinks in symbols? How did he create his symbol language?

He told me and he talks like his brain is constipated. I'd rather have logorehhia myself:D