View Full Version : Getting re evaluated for Aspergers!

Crazygirl79
07-17-10, 05:25 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while now and I've decided to definitely see whats happening with the waiting list at the Minds and Hearts Clinic here in Brisbane as I feel more and more that the doctor who diagnosed me with Aspergers back in 1993 was right all along (he was also one of many doctors that diagnosed me with ADHD as well)

Back in 1983 (10 years before the AS diagnosis) I was diagnosed with ADHD which was known as Hyperactivity Disorder back then along with an Information Processing Disorder and 'Autistic Tendencies' and was treated by Autism Queensland for some time in my earlier childhood, during this time my mother had gone through some terrible stuff such as her divorce from my father etc and then this without any support from family or friends for that matter and as a result I was placed in a mixed childrens home in 1984 until 1986 (mixed meaning that there were disabled and non disabled children living in the same institution) and some doctors believe that this has impacted on my social behaviour and I agree with this to some extent but I was diagnosed with these conditions BEFORE I went into the home so I would have had these issues whether I was placed in the home or not.

I also mentioned quiet a bit about this in a thread that another forum member wrote on Aspergers ages ago and it's been playing on my mind ever since and I know deep down that I have to look more into this Aspergers stuff and speak to someone about it again, make the necessary changes instead of living in denial and ruining my life any further.

Selena:)

StoicNate
07-17-10, 06:54 AM
What are your symptoms?
I'm curious about maybe I have some.

Crazygirl79
07-17-10, 07:32 AM
Geez where do I start lol. My social behaviour for a start would get me re diagnosed straight off the bat so to speak. I also tend to prefer solitude to a lot of company, I do have moderate sensory integration issues and mild self stimming issues as well as some obsessive compulsive behaviours and much more.

Lunacie
07-17-10, 10:01 AM
I read just recently that many people on the Autism Spectrum also have cormorbid ADHD, but not that many who have ADHD also have Autism. So if you do have Asperger's then it's quite likely that you have ADHD as well.

I believe I have HFA myself, but don't see much point in getting a diagnosis at my age (will be 60 in a few months).

Crazygirl79
07-17-10, 10:13 AM
I've been dxd with ADHD 3 times and I fit all the diagnostic criteria for it but it doesn't explain the other stuff such as stims, sensory integration issues (though this can occur with ADD/ADHD) the obsessive compulsive behaviour and the terrible social impairment I seem to have.

Rebelyell
07-17-10, 12:19 PM
I Don't know crazy bear but you seem pretty normal and social too me more so then alot of the people I work w who arent add or otherwise,altho half the time I feel like Im working w a bunch of mental cases:D.I dont know why people let our disabilities get in the way of friendships,job etc?We shouldnt see ourselves or let people see us as incompetents or losers or exploit us because we are sometimes naive, because we lost our keys 1 thousand and one times or forgot something they should see us how we really are.Crazy you seem like a sweet caring nurturing person underneath and thats all what should really matter is what Im a saying:)

Crazygirl79
07-17-10, 05:45 PM
Thanks for your kind words. Of course I seem social to you but then again I'm sociable towards anyone online but in real life it's a different story, it always has been. Beside ADHD, Depression and the tics I've always known deep down that there was something else going on here, a lot of people in my family including myself (except for my mother who was the first to notice my 'difference' when I was 6 months old) lived in denial about this for years on end, their mentality seemed to go along the lines of 'she's just a naughty child' and 'she can't be autistic, she looks too normal' and I've had this crap from so called professionals, this type of mentality has proven to be extremely unhelpful and detrimental to my life, I recieved a lot of help in my earlier childhood particularly when I was at the home however by the time I reached the age of 14 I recieved very little help at a time when it was most needed, the love, care and most importantly the understanding was missing and it still is. I've had to revisit parts of my past in order to gain a better understanding and also to learn some lessons. One of the main reasons I've come to accept the Aspergers is because another forum member who I was friends with (sadly we're no longer friends and it's honestly my fault) indirectly in a kind way taught me that it was perfectly ok to be different.

StoicNate
07-17-10, 07:11 PM
I don't think I stimm, maybe bounce on my legs when I have to do the dishes or fidget when I'm bored.

All I know is I have a problem with talking to people. I get anxiety and people look at me weird while I'm trying to talk, since I can't get my words out of my mouth fast enough while thinking what to say something to someone.

My mind is blank and I have to make it think, which takes a while before I gather what I want to say, but it's already too late to actually say something since the person that I'm trying to talk to is waiting about a minute or more before I say anything.

I don't know what this could be, maybe part of the Autism Spectrum? OR is it something else?

Crazygirl79
07-17-10, 07:46 PM
Perhaps you may have Social Anxiety Disorder but yes most of what you've described is also on the Autism Spectrum.

Selena

StoicNate
07-17-10, 08:05 PM
Great to know, I'll have to research more about these.

I'd really like to be more talkative and more fluid with my communication with people, though I just need to have everything planned out what to say or else I do what I wrote in my other post.

Rebelyell
07-17-10, 08:51 PM
Whats stim?I talk w my hands and one day my co worker grabbed them to see if I could talk w out my hands.Hes like you cant do it can you I replied OHH &&**(( I cant do it it was pandemonium,and hysterical laughter, co workers say I should of been a politician cause I remind them of clinton way I use my hands :D I bounce my leg nervously when I sit.

insight needed
07-17-10, 09:44 PM
"Stimming" or self-stimulating behavior can also by called stereotypic behavior. Common stimming behaviors include hand flapping, twirling, rocking, and spinning. Sometimes children on the autism spectrum (or children with other developmental disabilities) also spin objects such as the wheels of toy cars or tricycles, or they may repetively twirl a string. The behaviors tend to have a compulsive element to them, and the person using them may become upset when the behavior is interrupted, or they may allow themselves to be interrupted but return to it as soon as they can.

Like many things, stimming can be a matter of degree. Biting fingernails is not usually considered stimming, unlike flapping hands. Even huming is socially acceptable in some situations but I have seen children on the autism spectrum use humming to the degree that I suspect it is a self-stimming mechanism.

Perhaps the boundry between "stimming" and activities such as talking with one's hands or bouncing one's leg when sitting is the degree to which these behaviors interfere with typical social interaction and participation.

Crazygirl79
07-17-10, 10:33 PM
Insight Needed: That's a great and fairly accurate explanation of self stimming (no I don't personally do ALL of these stims, no autistic does ALL of these stims) Rebelyell: My suggestion to you is go and do some more reading on ASD, that way you'll get a much better understanding.

Scooter77
07-18-10, 04:38 AM
Same here crazygirl
My son was diagnosed Aspie a few years back & when I started reading I immediately knew it was me, but being a 30-something female, not many ppl believed me.

My psychiatrist diagnosed ADHD & the meds were instantaneous & profound.....but they didnt fix the social bit, so he also diagnosed me with social anxiety.
I spent the last 2 years in therapy for social anxiety but it just didnt fit 100%.

I had a really nasty bout of depression/anxiety at the start of the year, and my son's therapist suggested getting an Aspergers diagnosis may help....I was stunned, I thought I'd been wrong about Aspergers because no-one believed me at the time.

I'm booked in for next week....nervous as hell.....but I know I'm right, it just...fits! And my sons therapist, who knows Aspergers & knows me, agrees wholeheartedly.

If you think it fits then do what you gotta do & dont get sidetracked by other ppl who think they know better.... good luck!

Crazygirl79
07-18-10, 04:50 AM
Thanks Scooter, I think this truly does explain my many social mistakes and disasters:(

Selena

Crazygirl79
09-08-10, 07:14 AM
Ok the doctor agrees that I have very mild AS but the ADHD and the sensory integration issues are more predominant in me.

This helps a little and I should be able to travel a little better in life now that I've accepted the whole idea of being different.

Yes it is painful and frustrating to be different but it has some good points too.

Selena