View Full Version : What programming languages do you u know

EshkaronsEngine
07-17-10, 02:04 PM
I'm just starting to learn RUBY:cool:

THUNDER HORSE
07-18-10, 07:58 AM
C++ and JAVA but I haven't been practicing them lately I switched over to EE computer Engineering witch is basically the same but more of a focus on hardware.

doiadhd
07-18-10, 08:10 AM
Pass thee remote....

dinger70
07-18-10, 08:24 AM
I never got into programming languages other than some BASIC, but I definitely want to at some point. But I'll have to just get a book or two and teach myself, most likely.

meridian
07-18-10, 10:44 AM
I never learned real programming languages. I learned a variety of scripting languages.

Starting in 1980 with a Wang Word Processing system, then Hypercard for the Mac, and then early versions of HTML in the mid 90s.

I'm not sure I have the concentration or desire to jump into Ruby On Rails, so best of luck with that! Ruby programmers can make good money.

TygerSan
07-20-10, 04:14 PM
I learned how to program basic stuff in Pascal (that's the language in which I learned all the data structures, and programming concepts). I then learned how to program in LISP in college (AI track) . . .

I always say I know the 2 most useless languages on the planet.

I've also done some really rudimentary scripting stuff in MATLAB.

String
07-20-10, 05:07 PM
Basic, Pascal (Borland's Delphi, back in the day), Python, Javascript, and PHP. I play with a few other languages on occasion.

I don't ever feel that great at any programming language (probably attention related), but I'm a perfectionist, great at abstract thinking, and I can hacking with the tool in front of me until something works.

stef
07-20-10, 05:30 PM
I've also done some really rudimentary scripting stuff in MATLAB.

MATLAB??? wow a guy I worked with years ago (in a small computer programming company) used that. What does it do? something with equations?

sorry to barge in this thread. I know zero programming languages, never even understood "Basic" back in the 80's. Those dollar signs!

TygerSan
07-21-10, 09:26 AM
MATLAB = matrices and linear algebra; I've often seen it used in engineering settings.

It's apparently pretty powerful (we were using it for signal processing type stuff; like EEG brain wave stuff).

It was kind of funny because I've never taken linear algebra, so when I was in the training, we were supposed to write a program to solve a system of equations, and I looked at it and knew that i could solve it with a For loop (but MATLAB isn't so efficient with the loops), but that there had to be a much more elegant solution. Sure enough, there was a one liner that involved some linear algebraic concept that I had *no clue* how to use.

the_atom
07-21-10, 09:37 AM
C, a bit of OOP (basic C++ and Java), MATLAB

Want to get into Ruby.

I guess I'll wait and see how it goes when I go back to uni to finish my degree hahaha

sarek
07-21-10, 10:55 AM
Dutch and English lol.

But seriously, I got stuck in the primitive world of Basic and a little Pascal. My head is not blocky enough for more abstract OOP programming.

stef
07-21-10, 04:28 PM
MATLAB = matrices and linear algebra; I've often seen it used in engineering settings.

It's apparently pretty powerful (we were using it for signal processing type stuff; like EEG brain wave stuff).

Oh of course! they were trying to process data from parabolic flights to help for biofeedback for astronauts to prevent space motion sickness.
(believe it or not. unfortunately this stuff just never got developed...)

the_atom
07-21-10, 08:21 PM
Dutch and English lol.

But seriously, I got stuck in the primitive world of Basic and a little Pascal. My head is not blocky enough for more abstract OOP programming.

OOP is definitely not the ADDers best friend...that's why I never got too far with it :]

addkid92
01-15-11, 08:53 PM
When I was still into programming I self-taught myself visual basic 6, php, mysql, c++, and a little bit of java. I've tried learning VB.NET, but I absolutely despise it - from what I could remember it was too OOP.

My focus in college is on electronics technology - so when the time comes I'll be re-learning C++ and possibly assembly too since you need to communicate with the hardware on a low-level.

notsoplainJane
01-25-11, 12:57 AM
I learned just enough to realize that I have absolutely no aptitude for programming whatsoever. HTML script for smilies is about my level of sophistication.

dsvlil1
01-25-11, 07:37 AM
I learned basic as a kid, but that was more of a father daughter bonding exercise than anything else. I miss commodore 64s.
Apart from that my only memories of computer languages is running around my grand parents house wearing binary code wrappped around my head and making bracelets with it. Now that was the early days of compter programming!

tipoo
01-25-11, 09:49 AM
I'm a second year CS student, I know how to program in Java and C++.

Andon
05-22-11, 01:17 AM
i like programming... it's so rewarding

i know:
-java
-c#
-python
-php

and ones that don't count for much
-html
-javascript
-vb
-actionscript (flash)
-SQL

meringue
06-10-11, 11:17 AM
I know Java and Python really well; C#, C++, C, and perl reasonably well. I absolutely loooove Python! Anybody here know Haskell? I've been meaning to learn that one of these days...

Tchiak
08-04-11, 12:56 PM
I know Java, C++, C, C#, HTML, XML, XHTML, ASP.NET, PHP and learning PYTHON. I plan to learn TCL, Perl, COBOL and FORTRAN. I'm also studying program management, Agile Programming and Test-driven development.

I will learn anything you put in front of me program wise.. I absorb it like a sponge.

Also I know MYSQL, MSSQL, MSSQLSERVER 2008 on the database side and am working with another CS major student on a relational database using XML as the storage medium.

Abi
08-04-11, 09:59 PM
i know:
-java
-c/c++
-c#
-vb
-perl

and ones that don't count for much
-html
-javascript
-SQL
-assembler
-openGL
-mathematica
-prolog

plan on learning xml & php .. been out of it for a while for mental health reasons<!-- / message -->

TygerSan
08-09-11, 03:17 PM
-prologThat one broke my brain in college. . . looking at it now, I'm not quite sure *why* . . . It seems much more akin to querying a database now, but back then I just couldn't wrap my head around it.

I say that I know best the 2 most useless languages on the planet:
Learned how to program in Turbo Pascal, and did everything higher up in LISP.

Haven't programmed in years, but am starting to wish I'd stuck with it :(

Ack! Leave it to me to re-respond to a thread I responded to ages ago.:o

FluffyBeast
08-09-11, 05:49 PM
I know C++, C#/XNA and Java.

I have studied game programming and I'm working on a game of my own until I get a job. So far it's just a block that can shoot at other blocks but I improve it a little bit every day =D

Abi
08-10-11, 06:27 AM
prolog is a declarative rather than imperative language, as is SQL. You tell it "what you want it to give you" rather than "what you want it to do"; which is what you do in "normal" languages like Java, C/++/#, Turbo Pascal etc.

Louder Than Love
08-11-11, 01:41 AM
VB
Java
Perl
XAML ( Silverlight )
XHTML / HTML5
CSS3
PHP
Python
Learning ASP.

pedalpounder
08-11-11, 03:24 AM
I know enough programming languages to say it's not how many you know, it's how you use it.

This week I've been working on a fun problem:
A server contains 12 million records in memory each containing an unordered list of numbers about 200 items deep on average. This server is redundant in triplicate and each replica is supposed to contain the same data. It does not. The goal is to find the inconsistent records. Each replica dumps its memory to disk every 10 minutes, generating a 6 Gb encrypted and compressed file.
There are 100 sets of triplicates (300 servers total). You are given one very standard computer with 16 GB Ram and a 1Tb drive located physically near the 300 other servers.

In other words, process 700 billion encrypted, compressed numbers that are not located on the computer performing the task and do it as fast as possible. Note that for 1Gigabit LAN, the physical limit in time to download 300 6-Gb files is 4 hours.

"Make it work then make it fast"
Starting from scratch, by monday night I 'made it work', but was running at 2 hours per replica. Today I'm down to 2 minutes per or 10 hours total. C#, C++ , 3 EXEs and threading madness.

How can I have so much fun AND get paid for it? Sweet deal.

Psychomaze
09-18-11, 07:05 PM
I have worked with the following languages:
C, C++, Java, VB, ASP, PHP, SQL, Shell Script, JavaScript, Action Script, CSS, HTML, DHTML, and Cold Fusion.

Do I remember it all? NOPE!

Old School MBD
10-27-11, 08:31 AM
I was trained in the latest.......

C (no +)
Fortran
Basic
And others in 1985 lol lol lol

Electra2
01-30-12, 07:37 PM
I try to learn C++

cameron90
01-30-12, 07:43 PM
Other that HTML and CSS, only (limited) RhinoScript for Rhinoceros 3D modelling, which is based on MS VBScript. I tried to learn others and bought books on Java, C, but lost interest too quickly.

tipoo
01-30-12, 07:51 PM
I'm a second year CS student, I know how to program in Java and C++.

And now Visual Basic (which we oddly learned AFTER the grown up languages?), HTML and CSS, dabbling in HTML5, Flash, and Silverlight programming.

neewsmonth
01-30-12, 10:47 PM
You guys name difficult languages and it makes me shrink into the corner cause I can't manage any one of them well. So, let's be honest and say how good you really are in each of those you wrote ?

- Can you work efficiently in all of them right now without refreshing your memory ?
- Can you mix the code of many langs in one app ?
- Can you develop real applications or only student examples ?
- Are you up to date with development libs or you only know the syntax ?
- Are you productive or just know how to tell a loop in one language from another ?
- Can you exmplain the concepts behind those languages ?
- Are you good at regular expressions in each ?

That's nothin personal. I am not trying to make anyone upset about their skills.
I've just always wondered, looking at job applications, how much of it is really true, and what actually is to be needed/learned. And I am sure asking those questions anywhere but here would flame a war and shed a bad light on me :)

Electra2
09-06-12, 09:42 PM
I now try to learn XHTML.