View Full Version : I'm moving (and packing, of course!)

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 01:08 AM
I suck at packing.

So, I'm going to list here what I need to get done between tonight and tomorrow and check them off by posting.

~I just finished packing up the bathroom
- - - i still have to clean it, but I'm not concerned about that right now.

~ organize my living room
- - - mostly packed

~ Wash dishes and pack kitchen

~ organize and pack bedroom

I have a lot to get done in a short amount of time.
Luckily, I have until the end of August to move, but I want most everything out by end of July.

The big moving day is Monday . . THIS Monday (moving big furniture).

EshkaronsEngine
07-18-10, 01:09 AM
Are going to live above-ground now?

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 01:32 AM
While i prefer the UnderGround, I will be living on the ground!

mildadhd
07-18-10, 01:38 AM
While i prefer the UnderGround, I will be living on the ground!

Its pretty bright on the surface.
Hard to see at first.
Is someone taking your place.
Pick Me! Pick Me!
Can you really eat carrots from under the ground like Bugs Bunny?
G

mildadhd
07-18-10, 02:54 AM
Sorry,
I didn't take any meds today.
Getting back on topic.

After thinking about the moving situation.
I recomend that you pull the carrots,
From the surface.
So you don't have carry them all the way to the surface later.
The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.
I live in Vancouver if you need a hand.

G

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 04:13 AM
carrots are my favorite!! Are you sure you want to offer to help? I need people to pack up all my crap, clean my apartment and move all my crap to the new place.

You can take my place if you so desire. But, you'll have to live in the midwest.

I haven't accomplished much more, I'm so tired! But, I did drive to WalMart to get more boxes.
IF you go to WalMart after 9p at night, then you can grab as many boxes as you need (free).

mildadhd
07-18-10, 04:30 AM
So, I'm going to list here what I need to get done between tonight and tomorrow and check them off by posting.

~I just finished packing up the bathroom
- - - i still have to clean it, but I'm not concerned about that right now.

~ organize my living room
- - - mostly packed

~ Wash dishes and pack kitchen

~ organize and pack bedroom

I have a lot to get done in a short amount of time.
Luckily, I have until the end of August to move, but I want most everything out by end of July.

The big moving day is Monday . . THIS Monday (moving big furniture).

[/QUOTE]

LivingInChaos
I don't have a passport!

I really like your posting ,your work done, and thoughts.

I'm going to try the same concept with a project I'm working on.

Might a fun way to make a list.

Fun Version Way.

Less Boring.

Good Night!

G

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 04:38 AM
LivingInChaos
I don't have a passport!

I really like your posting ,your work done, and thoughts.

I'm going to try the same concept with a project I'm working on.

Might a fun way to make a list.

Fun Version Way.

Less Boring.

Good Night!

G

Thanks! I've made a list like this in the past on ADDF when I've needed to clean. It helps me keep on track and get things done. Then, ADDF is a reward for me, too!

I hope it works for you!

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 10:51 AM
i'm getting a later start than I had planned, but sleep is necessary.
at 10a, I will organize the mess in my living room.

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 11:27 AM
oy vey!

I have a lot of crap. 2 boxes and 1 suitcase packed, many more to go.

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 12:21 PM
packing is seriously boring. It's so hard to stay on task. 2 more boxes done.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-18-10, 12:36 PM
Wooo!

Do you have some music on?

That covers up the boredom for me...at least diminishes it. Worse than doing the boring stuff are the things attached to dozens of memories...

Just...set...it...in...the...box...and let it go....

I hope you like your new space:-)

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 12:44 PM
Wooo!

Do you have some music on?

That covers up the boredom for me...at least diminishes it. Worse than doing the boring stuff are the things attached to dozens of memories...

Just...set...it...in...the...box...and let it go....

I hope you like your new space:-)

Hey fleisch!
Thank you!!

Yes, I'm listening to She & Him. It definitely helps.
I'm just starting to put everything in boxes, and not neatly nor organized. My brain is just done with this.
But, I am throwing away anything that I think I can live without.

One more box done!

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 01:01 PM
2 boxes done.

Oh! The thing that sucks is that I need to go to a birthday thing tonight for my dad. So, I have to leave my place at 530p, drive 45 minutes to their house, celebrate, drive 45 minutes back home.

I think I'll be packing and cleaning all night. *sigh*

Oh well! It needs to be done (but it doesn't have to be perfect d*amnit)

mildadhd
07-18-10, 01:37 PM
but sleep is necessary.

Yes, I would agree.
Rest your adrenal glands.
It seems to very important.
Especially when we have AD(H)D.
Rest up!
G

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-18-10, 01:48 PM
I think packing without (really) organizing other than what stuff was near what other stuff...

is the way to go!

All ready organized boxes means you won't need to open them to put them away...

(at least next time I move... I'm going to do it more like that than try to be NT)

meridian
07-18-10, 01:48 PM
2 boxes done.

Oh! The thing that sucks is that I need to go to a birthday thing tonight for my dad. So, I have to leave my place at 530p, drive 45 minutes to their house, celebrate, drive 45 minutes back home.

I think I'll be packing and cleaning all night. *sigh*

Oh well! It needs to be done (but it doesn't have to be perfect d*amnit)

Best of luck with the packing and move tomorrow, LIC!

And no, it doesn't have to be perfect! No one is going to give you a grade! :)

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 01:57 PM
Thanks, meridian.

I really wish I would have saved up money to move, 'cause my parents are helping me.
They expect perfection. :rolleyes:

Not kidding. they are supportive of me, but they don't appreciate nor understand how I do things. So, while they say they're supportive, they're really not.
Tomorrow, during the move I'll get to hear all about my cleaning style, the way I packed, how I need to keep my new apartment clean. . etc.

My parents are a major trigger for my eating disorder, so tomorrow it will be really challenging. I need to remember to be honest, supportive to myself, and be able to stop their remarks from replaying in my head.
This is why I haven't let them in my home in over 3 years. If we meet up it's usually in a public venue.

(2 more boxes done, 1 marked "misc")

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-18-10, 02:14 PM
Not kidding. they are supportive of me, but they don't appreciate nor understand how I do things. So, while they say they're supportive, they're really not.
Tomorrow, during the move I'll get to hear all about my cleaning style, the way I packed, how I need to keep my new apartment clean. . etc.

Hope you don't take this the wrong way...

But it sounds like a good set up for a sitcom/comedy...

Fawlty Towers just popped into my mind.

Keep... keep on going though... that's all the way into tomorrow.

You just finished more boxes, WOOO!

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 02:16 PM
haha! not taking it the wrong way at all! it's good to see it in another way, 'cause maybe tomorrow I can remember that and just laugh instead of getting stressed and anxious!

(2 more boxes finished - they were 1/2 full before and 2 trash bags taken out to the garbage can)

meridian
07-18-10, 02:20 PM
OMG you ARE getting a grade! Sorry :o

Anyway, you're doing great and this is a good move for you (right?) so focus on the positive.

There's a really old song by Bing Crosby and The Andrews Sisters -- played here (but in a most ironic context) from the terrific "The Singing Detective" (if you don't know "The Singing Detective" or "Pennies From Heaven" check out the BBC originals -- they probably have them on Netflix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrC9Tu8gpo

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 02:32 PM
OMG you ARE getting a grade! Sorry :o

Anyway, you're doing great and this is a good move for you (right?) so focus on the positive.

There's a really old song by Bing Crosby and The Andrews Sisters -- played here (but in a most ironic context) from the terrific "The Singing Detective" (if you don't know "The Singing Detective" or "Pennies From Heaven" check out the BBC originals -- they probably have them on Netflix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrC9Tu8gpo

Thanks. It's a really good move and I'm excited about what it will do for me. It will relieve a lot of stress.

*think positive*think positive*think positive*think positive*

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 02:51 PM
cleaned off my desk.

next up, clean off and under end table. Should be quick.

I still haven't touched the kitchen and bedroom (which is making me incredibly anxious).

If I need to, I'll rope off my bedroom and make sure everything that needs to be moved tomorrow is in the living room.

I just realized I haven't eaten today, which is bad. I tend to restrict when i'm overly anxious.

It's been storming and raining so much I cannot bring my mattress to my new place today. It's a huge bummer, 'cause it was one thing I was hoping to avoid getting a lecture about tomorrow (my grandma gave it to me and my cats scratched up a corner of the mattress. when I received it, I was firmly told to not let my cats destroy it. I cannot help what cats do when I am not home.).

on a positive note, I am making lunch and finished one more box.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-18-10, 03:22 PM
Humm....

Were they hoping to resell the mattress after you were finished using it???

If it still works, it works... AND your cats got to have some fun...

The mattress instructions just really stuck my funny bone... Do they also try to instruct the weather on how to properly rain?

Food. Brain food!!!

Moving is never easy, but it certainly can be ridiculously funny. Truly all the ad(h)d comes out all at once! What else to do but laugh?

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 03:33 PM
they try to control everything possible. it really is ridiculous.
Omg. do you only know how much they'd love to control the weather?!

Thanks for making me laugh, fleish. :)

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 04:03 PM
I have 2 hours before I have to get ready to leave.

I just started on my kitchen. It's disgusting. I'm washing dishes.
On the way to my dad's birthday celebration, I'm going to stop for the (free) newspapers and such so I can pack the then dry dishes.

In the next 2 hours, I'm going to vacuum the living room, wash dishes, pack up my car, change cat litter, sweep kitchen floor, start on the bedroom.

If I can do more, I will.

I am letting go of the mattress thing. It's my mattress now, I'll do with it what I want.

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 04:31 PM
1/2 hour later, cleared 2 square feet in the bedroom, filled 2 trash bags, 1 box finished

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 05:02 PM
1 hour countdown. I washed some more dishes, took out more trash.

meridian
07-18-10, 05:17 PM
As Henry Gibson would say "Keep-A-Goin'!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3piT_zGX_YI

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 05:21 PM
your support means everything to me! Thank you!!

just cleared out 1/4 of my bedroom!! AM soaking dishes and taking a Popsicle break.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-18-10, 05:31 PM
Do NOT underestimate the value of a break.

It will make the difference between a good attitude or a mental breakdown...

One is voluntary...!!!

Do you ever talk to the mold and crap left of dishes? I swear it's all more fun if I imagine myself in a war against the germs...

There are millions of you! Your nasty smell made me vomit a little, but look... Now my acid juice, sponge and soap are KILLING you!!! Muahahaha!!!

insight needed
07-18-10, 05:39 PM
I get a sense that no matter how clean your apartment was, your parents would comment on the 2 square inches that had some dust bunnies. So--you know there will be negative comments: visualize yourself wearing a big yellow rain slicker; those nasty comments are just rolling right off. Maybe....."thanks for your insight Mom, I'll remember that when I get to my new place". As long as you agree (while letting it roll off your back) you won't get into any arguments. May help diffuse things. You KNOW you are doing the best you can with the resources you have!

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 06:03 PM
Do NOT underestimate the value of a break.

It will make the difference between a good attitude or a mental breakdown...

One is voluntary...!!!

Do you ever talk to the mold and crap left of dishes? I swear it's all more fun if I imagine myself in a war against the germs...

There are millions of you! Your nasty smell made me vomit a little, but look... Now my acid juice, sponge and soap are KILLING you!!! Muahahaha!!!

I have never done that, but it could make doing the dishes more interesting, for sure!

I took a couple breaks throughout this time, it was necessary!

I get a sense that no matter how clean your apartment was, your parents would comment on the 2 square inches that had some dust bunnies. So--you know there will be negative comments: visualize yourself wearing a big yellow rain slicker; those nasty comments are just rolling right off. Maybe....."thanks for your insight Mom, I'll remember that when I get to my new place". As long as you agree (while letting it roll off your back) you won't get into any arguments. May help diffuse things. You KNOW you are doing the best you can with the resources you have!

That's so true, they'd comment on the dust bunnies.
Thanks for your encouragement, truly :) I'll keep the rain slicker in mind. Usually what I do, envision myself as wonder woman, I put up my wrists in an "X" and bounce their comments away.

I'm off to get ready for my dad's b-day, then back home to . . . PACK :eek:

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-18-10, 06:23 PM
lol @ :eek:

After being with my fam for awhile... I remembered how I dealt with it back in the day... Figuratively... All those channels are on you know... all the ways situations affect you, it's way too hard to look at them all... so, for me, (considering my family's activity was watching Seinfeld, etc...)... after awhile I got good at just feeling like I was a character on the Farce of Life sitcom.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa... I just DECIMATED the dust bunny population! If I do any more they might try me for war crimes!"

I sorta hope someone switches the candles with trick candles... :D

danelady
07-18-10, 06:56 PM
IF you go to WalMart after 9p at night, then you can grab as many boxes as you need (free).

That cuz they're unloadin' the delivery I just brought..hehe.

Good luck movin'!

livinginchaos
07-18-10, 10:04 PM
Yep, danelady! I have a lot.

I'm back, going to take a couple minutes to myself, put laundry in the washer and get back to it.
It's gonna be a long night (and lots of decimating dust bunnies)

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-18-10, 10:43 PM
Chaos...

Would you mind if I copied you and started a "while fleisch cleans..." post?

I am seeing why it would be a useful tool...

salleh
07-19-10, 12:24 AM
Rats, That's me a day late and a dollar short, ....and I have 2 fabulous tips for packing and moving .......

1) NEVER pack a box over it's top, make sure you can either fold the flaps down flat, or the lid fits on......it is nearly impossible to stack boxes when they're over filled....

2) if you are gathering boxes from all kindes of places, do youself a favor, and using a box knife ( yoiu know, the kind that are flat and you put a single edge razor in) or a utility knife, ( the kind with the,I want to say trapezoide shaped blade.) anyway, it has to be a heavy duty cutting devise.....

and on both ends of the box, cut a dodwnward "V" about 6 inches across the top wide, then you can just punch that V shape in and Voila !, you have a hand hold.....

I find boxes that have hand hold holes cut into them are by far the easiest way to pick up box after box......you are far less likely to have them slip out of your grasp too.....

I do this withouot fail every time I need to put something in boxes to move around and an always glad I did....and it only takes a few seconds.....

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 12:57 AM
Chaos...

Would you mind if I copied you and started a "while fleisch cleans..." post?

I am seeing why it would be a useful tool...
Go for it!!

Thanks, salleh! I don't fill the boxes full in case I'm the one lugging them into the car and out of the car. But, I didn't know the "v" thing!

My motivation is waning. I'm so tired and bored of this.

But, the packing must continue. Back to work I go.

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 01:57 AM
It's almost 1am, I have about 4 trash bags full of crap ready to go to the garbage!

hahaha - have I told you all yet that I've already filled the 2 garbage cans and have bags sitting on the ground?

It does feel good to throw stuff away (so far, not much can be donated, as they're covered in kitty fur), despite all the sneezing and boredom.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-19-10, 02:25 AM
It's almost 1am, I have about 4 trash bags full of crap ready to go to the garbage!

hahaha - have I told you all yet that I've already filled the 2 garbage cans and have bags sitting on the ground?

It does feel good to throw stuff away (so far, not much can be donated, as they're covered in kitty fur), despite all the sneezing and boredom.

Sneezing! Oh no! The evil dust bunny army of sloughed skin cells, cat dander, dust mites and their back up army of excrement and dirt are putting up a darned good fight!!! Keep going!!! It's a war of attrition at this point, it's OK to sleep, they will still be in the trenches tomorrow...

I hope you've at least had some fun distractions while on the way=-)

(I think moving is good for me, at least. I tend to hold on to stuff... items with no value except the memory it's attached to. I think impulsiveness is a savior sometimes!)

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 02:26 AM
3 more trash bags!!

I had a good talk with my good friend, A. She has a broken toe, but will come to watch everyone help me move and be my buffer if I decide I need one.
She is an amazing friend!
She is very similar to me, has lots of crap. I can visit her whenever and she is not ashamed nor apologizes. I really like that about her.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-19-10, 02:29 AM
A?

I have a friend I call A, too. And like collecting keys in hopes one will open a treasure chest...

Does your A happen to be an Adriana, also?

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 02:35 AM
135a

I'm looking around. DANG! I've made really great progress!

I still have hardly touched my kitchen, but I'm going to get more of this (bed)room done.

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 04:03 AM
Just took a 45 minute nap and am getting back to work. Ugh.

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 08:43 AM
well, I ended up going back to sleep from 4-6a; I wasn't coherent enough to function.

T - 3 hours, 15 minutes.

There is a lot done, there's a lot not done.

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 09:13 AM
815a

I should be able to finish most of the kitchen stuff by 9a.
That leaves 2 hours to:
vacuum, throw out a rug that was one of my cats' litter box when he was ****ed at me, sweep and mop the floor, get my cats ready to move, and put boxes outside for my dad to pick up.

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 10:47 AM
945a

I did some more cleaning/packing then took a nap. I'm super tired.

I cannot wait for today to be DONE

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 10:49 AM
A?

I have a friend I call A, too. And like collecting keys in hopes one will open a treasure chest...

Does your A happen to be an Adriana, also?

nope! Alexis

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 02:38 PM
Phase 1 complete!
My parents came, moved some boxes and my mom set up some of my kitchen.
I had some dirty dishes there that were meant for the dishwasher, but there is a problem with the dishwasher. So, dirty dishes were hanging out.

My mom wanted to wash them, my dad said "no". They argued a bit, but not to me. So, I let it go!!

at one point, my mom said, "courtney, I know you have a hard time cleaning, organizing and stuff, I know it's really hard for you, and this is a great new apartment. Can I just give you a tip?" (she's never asked before)
I said, "yes, you can give me one tip. Just please let this be your only one for today, because I'm stressed out and anxious for this move"

she only did it 1x. This is quite the miracle.

The hard part will be phase II where they come INTO my apartment to get the big furniture. I had the boxes already outside today.

I'm back at the old apartment, more cleaning and packing ensues.

So far, so good!

danelady
07-19-10, 02:49 PM
Ooof! I'm tired just reading about all the work you're doing!

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 03:09 PM
I'm tired from doing all the work. My brain is fried from all the cleaning (toss or keep) and packing, & trying to figure out what I need to do next. I cannot wait to lay on the bed or couch in my new place!!

next up: make room so my bro and dad can move the furniture out.

livinginchaos
07-19-10, 05:44 PM
it's 445p.

I have to be at my grandparents house by 6p (3 miles down the road, I'm really going to miss that) to help load my stored furniture into the UHaul.

I have spent more time packing and cleaning and putting trash bags in the garbage area (Yesterday mid-day I filled the trash cans, now the bags are all around them).

I'm so wiped out, but I haven't yet vacuumed nor made space for my dad and bro to get my big furniture. Eeee gads!

I need to move faster. . . my body is protesting, but I can do it.

danelady
07-19-10, 05:51 PM
You can do eet!! Oh geez,what movie was that from??? I'll remember it later.

Well,the peanut gallery is cheering for ya!

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-19-10, 05:54 PM
At the last stretch!

Awesome! And PAINFUL!!!

Don't try to run too fast because you'll get a cramp, and then it'll be all the more painful to get to the finish line...

You're to the spot that I *really* start doing something if I see it, without regard to what I was doing... I either get too scrambled or beat myself up for not completing one task at a time...It's always so hard, because the little progress is harder to see and I beat myself up for no visual results...

But you'll see, you'll see it all pull together at once...

And altho you're way past tired and your body is sore... you will sleep happy=-)

Frickin' impressive if you as me...

salleh
07-19-10, 09:38 PM
keep going girl, you're almost there now........and how far away are you moving??? and just think, the new place won't have all the crap you threw out !~......

you can start afresh.......

livinginchaos
07-20-10, 12:59 AM
Fleish, danelady, and salleh

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I MADE IT!!
I'm not done with my old apartment, I need to pack a bit more and a major cleaning.

It was a pretty rough evening with the family, but I had a friend come over and be a buffer.

I DID IT! I'm done! and now I get to rejoice with watching cable. I never had cable before tonight!