View Full Version : I'm fighting sleep

Sabs
07-19-10, 02:48 AM
I am always awake until 4 or 5am and the sound of birds chirping makes me feel very sad.

I bartend at a private country club so I often start work around 5pm, but days like today I started at 10am and didn't get off until 10pm...I am running on about 3 hours of sleep! When I start seeing the skies become lighter and hearing the birds chirping I get a feeling of guilt. I relate my unwillingness to go to sleep to that of a small child...afraid of missing something. Yes, I believe I fight sleep. Is it anxiety?
One night I stayed up and tore my apartment apart looking for a stupid piece of paper that I knew deep down I threw away. Most nights I watch movies, go online looking for the perfect solution to my deficits, or I clean. I stop taking my meds at about 5pm (I am not on extended release) and I usually don't get off work until about midnight but sometimes 2am. I have done this all my life even as a small child but I would only do it a couple times a month, but now it is nightly. I am not all that tired when I wake up around 8am to send my son off to school but I crash around 11am so I take naps. I am concerned because from what I understand it isn't all that healthy.
My son is ADHD and has a really hard time falling asleep but I am very strict on his bedtime even if he's not tired. I want to sleep, but I am fighting it.

EYEFORGOT
07-19-10, 01:35 PM
I can only think of the usual suggestions: check with a doctor if you have depression, exercise, warm milk, or chammomile tea, reading.

This brought to you by the woman with untreated sleep apnea who doesn't go to bed on time to stay up late watching Netflix to get some alone time I'm so desperate for. :rolleyes:

DADHD
07-19-10, 01:41 PM
I am always fighting it too. I don't know why. I just don't want to go to bed. It could be that I'm afraid of missing something, but mostly I think that lying down to go to sleep is incredibly boring. I will sit in my chair when I think I "have" to go to sleep and watch TV hoping that I will fall asleep during a commercial or something. But the whole idea of sleep just seems boring and I don't want to do it.

Sabs
07-19-10, 01:51 PM
Thank you Eyeforgot. I don't think it's deppression because since being diagnosed my life has gotten a bit better. Im going to the store later to try changing mine and my son's diet (he's ADHD too) because I hear that different foods can affect ADD symptoms, sleep, etc. I will definitely call my doc and see what he thinks.

Thank you again!

EYEFORGOT
07-19-10, 01:57 PM
While you will find controversy regarding nutrition treatments (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=314), it's definitely worth looking into. I've found my son does better without chocolate or orange dyed food.

Everything I read just constantly reiterates the importance of vegetables and less processed foods. Even if it doesn't immediately help the ADHD or sleep, it will help other health needs in the long run.

doiadhd
07-19-10, 02:11 PM
Dont be a hyper-crite.

If a kid cant sleep...then why send him to bed?To stare at a celing?

I have had it my whole,life.

Maybe stay up together,or lay next to each other...i dont know.

I hate remembering the time spent staring at ceilings bored...so bored that i'd try and flick boogies on to my sleeping brothers head...not mean,just bordom.

Would surely drive one insane.

Sabs
07-19-10, 02:11 PM
I'm with you on the fruits and veggies! I do not keep pop, chips, candy or any other snack/junk food in the house because my son's a ninja when it comes to raiding the kitchen...
He eats really healthy, so I am looking for vitamins or maybe trying a food that I don't normally feed him. So...basically I need to change my diet which is hard because my work provides my meals and I always forget to bring my own food. I never thought about a diet because I never needed one, so I am very uneducated when it comes to nutrition.

Sabs
07-19-10, 02:18 PM
Dont be a hyper-crite.

If a kid cant sleep...then why send him to bed?To stare at a celing?

I have had it my whole,life.

Maybe stay up together,or lay next to each other...i dont know.

I hate remembering the time spent staring at ceilings bored...so bored that i'd try and flick boogies on to my sleeping brothers head...not mean,just bordom.

Would surely drive one insane.

I don't make him lay there for hours but he has to be at school in the a.m. and kids that don't get enough sleep can have weight issues, loss of energy, mood swings, etc. My son has bad tantrums already so I do not want to see what they would be like w/ added irritability. I say that I put him to bed even when he isn't tired....I meant even when he says he isn't tired. Kids always want to stay up and if we gave into their wants vs their needs all the time then who would be the parent?

Nifferka
07-20-10, 04:05 AM
I used to stay up late reading, and my mom would come in and take the books away, thinking they were keeping me awake. By the time I was a teenager, she decided that at least I was quiet and not getting into trouble. I sleep with the light on (my very patient husband learned to adjust) because I can't go to sleep unless I have a book. As long as the book is interesting enough and not gripping, I'll fall asleep after about an hour. If it's too boring it doesn't work, and if it's too exciting I won't doze off, but somewhere inbetween is good. The first few chapters of an Agatha Christie, for example. Or a Jane Austen. (Those work for me, at least.) I've tried turning the light off after I wake up and realize I've been asleep, but turning the light off just wakes me up more, and then I'm awake for hours.

When we've stayed in the same hotel room with the kids and so I couldn't have the light on, we put e-books on the PDA, but something about looking at a screen just makes it take longer to fall asleep.

Of course, sometimes it doesn't work at all, and I'm still awake until 3 am, (and I feel so, so guilty if I'm still awake when I see that it's getting light out) but that's more likely to happen when I "fight sleep" or, as I've put it, when I'm too tired to realize that I'm too tired to realize that I need to put down the computer and just go to sleep already.

If I have a migraine and can't even look at a book, I'll listen to the BBC Radio 4 or 7 comedy podcasts, or episode after episode of Ivor the Engine (very soothing, with some lovely Welsh singing) until I doze off. If I wake up it's still playing, so I drift off again.

But as a paranoid safety precaution, you shouldn't listen with headphones in bed, because you could strangle yourself. I do it all the time (using headphones, that is, not strangling myself), but I'd never let my son do it. Besides, he has a tendency to ruin headphones.

Sabs
07-20-10, 04:21 AM
Hi Nifferka,

I started my son and I on a new diet today, going to natural foods, cutting out the bad sugars, corn syrup and red dye so hopefully that will help. I also am going to try to "train" my brain, I read some stuff that makes sense...I fight sleep but I might have just formed a bad habit and now I need to break it! So my alarm will go off in 10 min, 1am and I will try to relax so maybe I can drift off to sleep. Thank you for your post!

- Leah

EYEFORGOT
07-22-10, 01:35 PM
Let us know how that goes, if it works.

Possum
07-22-10, 02:13 PM
I have always been a night owl. Books don't work for me. I get engrossed in them and I will stay up for hours reading! I've had insomnia for most of my life and have become resigned to using a sleep aid.

Stims make my sleep pattern even worse. I take my last dose of adderall IR at 4:00pm, but by midnight, I still don't feel like going to bed.

I was up until 2:00 or 3:00 last night and woke up today at 8:00am. Felt very tired, but I got up and took my morning dose of addy. Then I went and laid down again, figuring the med would kick in after half an hour or so, and I'd get up.

Hah! I slept like a baby for 4 hours on 20 mg adderall. I finally was awakened by a friend calling me. I can't believe I slept the entire morning away on a stimulent! But I guess that is a sign of an ADDer?

Jeez!