View Full Version : The best SSRI to combine with Dexedrine?

liquidmetal
07-19-10, 11:33 PM
I know there's no "best" SSRI, as everybody responds to them differently, but going on what we have, I'd be interested to know the answer to this question based on research and feedback. I've done my share of Internet research, and from everything I can gather, Zoloft appears to be the most likely candidate. The primary reason for this being that Zoloft has weak dopamine reuptake inhibition (DRI) properties. This in no way means Zoloft has less side effects than other SSRIs, rather it seems that the DRI properties (unique to Zoloft) seem to favor cognitive functions, which is a major concern in ADHD. There's also been some studies done that indicate both Prozac and Zoloft increase the concentration of amphetamine in the brain, as they fight for certain liver enzymes, and slow down amphetamines metabolism.

Any thoughts or experiences on this?

tomlinson
07-20-10, 03:22 AM
Seems like you're doing too much thinking and analysis about an extremely complex and difficult subject. :)

I recommend that you consult with a psychiatrist.

Zoloft might, in fact, work best for you. Or perhaps some other SSRI is more appropriate for you.

Further, there's the possibility that an SNRI such as Effexor or Cymbalta would be best based on your specific profile - whatever that profile might be.

How's about Wellbutrin?
It's an "atypical" antidepressant, and another potential candidate.

There are many, many choices out there..
Seeking professional advice is often the best solution.

Michiko74
07-21-10, 05:01 PM
Seems like you're doing too much thinking and analysis about an extremely complex and difficult subject. :).

Exactly! Let the physician, or at the very least the pharmacist, help you with finding the best medication for you. Although kudos to you for doing your homework :p

But on a side note, my doc wanted to start me on wellburitin. In his opinion, this was the best SSRI to go with my dexedrine. Unfortuntely, I seem to have an allergy to the drug, hence why I'm taking Strattera.