View Full Version : ADD completely (temporarily) goes away the morning after a night of heavy drinking

amelia42188
07-20-10, 11:55 AM
So I want to see if anyone else
has experienced this or can explain this:

A little background info:
First of all I don't drink very much. I drank heavily last night, but usually only drink about once a month or once every two months, and even then it's only 1 or 2 drinks. Last night I got very, very drunk for the first time in probably a year. 2 years ago, when I first started college I would get drunk all the time. I have ADD and anxiety really bad, can't focus or really do much without getting anxious. I take adderall for it: when I'm on my adderall I'm fine.

I've noticed that after a night of drinking, getting completely trashed, I feel PERFECT the next day. No anxiety, no getting sidetracked. I feel so blissful and happy and can study for hours without my adderall (something I can absolutely never do: hell I can't even study for 1 hour without my adderall on any other day).

1 or two beers doesn't do it, but getting really drunk does. It happens EVERY time I drink heavily though. Every time without fail.

Anyone else experience this? Anyone know why this happens? I'm really really curious because maybe it will tell me something about what medications I need to get treated if it something to do with chemicals in the brain. PLEASE RESPOND IF THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU!!! :D;)

amelia42188
07-20-10, 12:00 PM
Oh just a note: This lasts the whole day. The next day I'm back to normal.

No medication is necessary at all the day after getting drunk. I feel great without it.

barnops
07-20-10, 12:39 PM
Word of advice, keep formatting your posts like that and no one will read/respond to them.

Keep it simple, lol

Hearty Soul
07-20-10, 01:02 PM
So I want to see if anyone else
has experienced this or can explain this:

1 or two beers doesn't do it, but getting really drunk does. It happens EVERY time I drink heavily though. Every time without fail.

.....................if it something to do with chemicals in the brain.
PLEASE RESPOND IF THIS HAS EVER HAPPENED TO YOU!!! :D;)

May I respond though this never happened to me, since I never drink more than 4-8 oz of wine at one time!

First, I am glad that you were wise enough to realize that the effect was temporary, and that you are willing to look for the right medication :).

Throughout my readings about ADD after being diagnosed, I came across an article that most of the alcoholics drink because of their ADD!
They are somehow medicating themselves without realizing it, but unfortunately using the wrong path.
They were reaching out to the *feeling better* effect you mention above, and little by little they drink more and more and harm themselves more.

Good luck with your search for the proper medication.:)

irony
07-20-10, 03:00 PM
When I was in college, I noticed this too.

EshkaronsEngine
07-20-10, 03:08 PM
I like to drink 0.5% beer it makes my brain focused and faster. I'm not sure why?

amelia42188
07-20-10, 07:07 PM
Word of advice, keep formatting your posts like that and no one will read/respond to them.

Keep it simple, lol

Haha. Not too worried about that Barnops. I don't get an overwhelming amount replies to my posts anyway lol. Guess we're pretty different though, because my ADD mind loves heavily formatted posts. A whole block full of plain txt totally turns off my focus entirely.

Evita, totally see where you're coming from and agree with you. right on.

eshkaron, I've noticed this too. just a little bit of beer improves my focus, nowhere near as focused as i would be in the situation i'm talking about, but still helpful.

Thanks everyone else for you replies. Still trying to get to the bottom of it.

Possum
07-20-10, 07:18 PM
Amelia, when I was in college I drank to "cure" my ADD symptoms. I hadn't been diagnosed at the time, but looking back I see this as part of the reason I turned into a party animal.

Unfortunately, this stragedy turned on me after a few years when I began to drink alcoholically. I spent some very, very unhappy years as a result.

So, please be careful in case you fall into the trap I did. I am now in recovery and take adderall for my ADD. Adderall is a 1000% improvement over alcohol with me.

Take good care of yourself!

PS I am making this message bold just for you! LOL

amelia42188
07-21-10, 03:15 AM
Thanks Possum. The bold kept me interested :)

I think I've always been way more interested in ritalin and adderall than beer anyway lol. Somethings gotta change though. I can get absolutely no sleep on it. Its driving me nuts. Ive been on it for two years now, should have some tolerance to the side effects!

humandefault
07-21-10, 03:28 PM
Oh man, I have the opposite problem. I'm kind of glad I DON'T have that happen, though, because I'm already too close to being an alcoholic. If getting drunk every night cured my ADD for the next day I would never give alcohol up lol

headsamess
07-21-10, 03:31 PM
Google:

"Alcohol also helps to increase the release of dopamine, by a process that is still poorly understood but that appears to involve curtailing the activity of the enzyme that breaks dopamine down."

considering the low dopamine relation to ADD, if the above is true then an occasional drink binge could potentially improve ADD symptoms until that enzyme recovers

* obviously longterm frequent and excessive use is not recommended *

inocula
07-30-10, 02:56 PM
I had the same effect on me, the morning expecially if i have to wake up early, for few hours i feel really good, then when this effects end i feel very bad.....

dude102
08-11-10, 12:33 AM
interesting. If it does improve dopamine that may explain the temporary improvement in focus. I too had mild improvements the day after a drink or two. In the long run alcohol lowers these neurotransmitters so this effect is just temporary. You are better off increasing your dopamine through exercise.

On a side note, alcohol also increases glutamate in low doses, which is an important neurotransmitter also involved in learning.