View Full Version : Does ANYONE find the generic to work?

iceprincess
07-21-10, 09:36 PM
I posted in the Vyvanse forum about an hour ago. Just going to copy & paste to update quickly...But to get to the point...has ANYONE seen ANY therapeutic benefit? I am truly at a loss. The only brand names my insurance covers are Concerta, Ritalin LA, and Vyvanse (of which I address below). Generic's covered but I'm scared Now and just can't play this "try a new med each month" game. This month nearly killed me.

Been off/on Dex for 20 years. Was great up until 2 yes ago had to increase dosage. In retrospect, I understand why...that was just about the time Mallinkrodt stopped producing. Over the past two years old behaviors have resurfaced. I believe it is due to the current (only) generic's efficacy. I am sick to death about this because my copayment was $5 for generic barr Dexedrine 10 mg spansules (240/mo. Though I didn't always use all of them.) Now, if I want to go on brand Dexedrine...I'm not sure what it will be for 240, but for 150 (which is what I got month before last...the best month I've had in 2 years...was actually social again), oop I paid $276. Do you understand my predicament? I do not qualify for Shire's assistance program. Make slightly over the amount.

Serendipity...I receive a voucher for Vyvanse...70 mg/day for the month. Utterly useless. I'm totally scattered and worse than ever. Half the time I feel like jumping off a bridge. The other half I want to hide out or waste time on ridiculous things.

twinch42085
07-22-10, 03:56 PM
I take 10mg of generic Barr Dexedrine and it has worked the best compared to XR/IR Adderall and Vyvanse. I have seen a couple of threads saying that Barr Dexedrine worked well for them. I wish I could try the name brand GSK Dexedrine tablets, but for now it looks like Teva is going to "run everything".

Killface1981
07-23-10, 05:10 AM
I take 60 mg of Dexedrine a day(Barr), and it's great... but you do feel burned out. The namebrand Dex is impossible to get, well, or so I've been told. The generic Dex has worked better than real Adderall, Ritalin or anything else I've taken.

As for Vyvanse, that crap messed me up. You drink one beer, and it's like you took a ton of Ex-Lax. You get cramps like a pregnant girl... and I'm serious. I'd be working out, and would have to run to the restroom for no less than 25 minutes. Vyvanse goes through the liver since it's basically a pro-drug and I think that's pointless.

I did get far more focused... but only on being near a restroom at all times.

tomlinson
07-23-10, 12:51 PM
The Barr dextroamphetamine IR works reasonably well.

It's a simple chemical compound, and evidently Barr (which is owned by Teva) has not been able to mess it up too much.

iceprincess
07-27-10, 09:13 PM
I'd like to thank all of you for your responses.

I filled my generic barr spansules of dex the other day. Within an hour MAJOR fatigue set in. It got better 2 hours later (not that it was helping me with my symptoms, just that I didn't feel completely depleted and dazed). The next day I took a larger dose...just made the whole damn thing worse.) note that Im a teacher, so I always have thought (in the past 2 years) that the fatigue and change in efficacy was job-related. Now, it's Summer and I eat well, garden... There are no obvious external stressors and it is clear as day to me that the barr generic dex are responsible. I think it has to do with the time release mechanism (and fillers related thereto).

I see my psych on Fri and will talk to her about trying the generic or ir (I'm assuming Barr). I just feel like Ill be able to control the release better.

Wish me luck!

GSK are the best and I can get them easily, but the copay would have been $459 (note that month before last I only had my prescription partially filled for $276!

iceprincess
07-27-10, 09:22 PM
I take 60 mg of Dexedrine a day(Barr), and it's great... but you do feel burned out. The namebrand Dex is impossible to get, well, or so I've been told. The generic Dex has worked better than real Adderall, Ritalin or anything else I've taken.

Are you talking about dex spansules or ir?