View Full Version : Anyone develop irregular heart beat from wellbutrin

sassy1
07-13-04, 09:47 PM
I'm new to this site and just wondered if anyone else developed a irregular heart beat from taking wellbutrin? I started wellbutrin last September 2003 and developed a irregular heart beat in the begining of January of this year. My internist believed it was due to the wellbutrin but my perscribing doctor believed it was due to being on Adderall. I had been on Adderall for at least 2 years and had no prior problem. I had wondered if the irregular heart beat was due to emotional stress. I was under alot of stress from may of 2003 through December of 2003. My father was very ill and in a specialty hospital during this time. I often wondered if it was the stress that created the irregular heart beat. Either way, since January I have been off of both Adderall and Wellbutrin. It seemed in Febuary the irregularity had subsided. then I started Straterra and by April 2004 I was taking 40 mg. a day. It seems since that time my irregular heart beat had become worse. I just recently stopped the Straterra to see if the heart beat becomes more normal. If anyone experienced anything similiar please reply:)

fasttalkingmom
07-13-04, 11:16 PM
I'm on Wellbutrin and for a while my heart would beat faster or I'd get this kinda thump feeling sometimes. It wouldn't last, i've been on Wellbutrin for I think 2 months maybe 3 and I don't get this any more unless I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning or sugar.

Stress causes me to have a irregular heart beat and I get a pain in the middle of my chest.

I'd be sure to keep in touch with your doctor on this..... :)

kimo
07-14-04, 09:27 AM
I have mitral valve prolapse which, in itself, can cause irregular heartbeats. I am on both Wellbutrin and Adderall. The last couple of days I have noticed symptoms including the "thumps" that fastalkingmom mentioned.

But I cranked the air conditioning and drank lots of water last night. I fell asleep on the couch and woke up around 1 am. and the symptoms had subsided. It's been very hot and humid here the last couple of days.

I took my meds this morning so I'm curious to see what happens. I wasn't sure if it was the meds or something else. I've been on vacation for 1 1/2 weeks so I'm thinking it's probably not stress. :)

It's also supposed to be a lot cooler today so we'll see if maybe that had something to do with it. I've never been able to deal with hot humid weather very well.

sassy1
07-14-04, 03:37 PM
thanks for the reply. I am in contact with my doctor. he diagnosed me with a particular heart irregularity and i am scheduled for a stress test and a echogram on the 21st. I will let you know what my results showed. i do know my heart doctor told me that sometimes with the diagnosis i have, people have underlying heart disease. i am hoping i do not have any. He also said that it may be due to the emotional stress I was under last year and am still under, not to the extent, with my mom who has had health problems now too.

Sassy1

gonetothedogs
07-14-04, 08:51 PM
Was on Wellbutrin for a year+, it was wonderful...But as I had to ramp up my daily amount over the year - an effective dosage (3x/day)would have my brain working but my heart rate up into the 100's...problems with blood pressure now so off it...sigh

dixiepeep
11-16-04, 05:05 PM
I have mitral valve prolapse which, in itself, can cause irregular heartbeats. I am on both Wellbutrin and Adderall. The last couple of days I have noticed symptoms including the "thumps" that fastalkingmom mentioned.

But I cranked the air conditioning and drank lots of water last night. I fell asleep on the couch and woke up around 1 am. and the symptoms had subsided. It's been very hot and humid here the last couple of days.

I took my meds this morning so I'm curious to see what happens. I wasn't sure if it was the meds or something else. I've been on vacation for 1 1/2 weeks so I'm thinking it's probably not stress. :)

It's also supposed to be a lot cooler today so we'll see if maybe that had something to do with it. I've never been able to deal with hot humid weather very well. I have Mitral Valve too and some chest pains lately. I had some bad pain in the middle of my chest. I went to Doc and he did an EKG and it was fine. He gave me Xanax for the chest pain and it has helped some. I am on Wellbutrin XL and Adderall.

kimo
11-16-04, 10:05 PM
I've always joked around that if I had a heart attack I would never know it cuz the symptoms are the same with Mitral Valve Prolapse. I tend to ignore chest pains now just because they are so common for me. But I believe many are stress related for sure cuz the Xanax really helps my heart when I am having what I call my "bad heart days."

Plus my heart doctor said that, for some unknown reason, Mitral Valve symptoms tend to be much worse at night. I can attest to that. Most of my palpitations and "thumping" occur after 7 pm. Although I also occasionally have them during the day.

I also take Lexapro with the Wellbutrin and Adderall. The Lexapro seems to have helped me in the sense that I take much less Xanax now than before the Lexapro.

sassy1
11-18-04, 10:22 AM
Dixiepeep,

Just got your message. Thanks for the info. I never got back to the forum with my results from my heart doctor. my ekg has shown some skipped beats. nothing serious. My echocardiogram was normal and so was my stress test. My heart doctor believes I have no underlying heart disese. I have been off the wellbutrin since last (2003)december. I started lexapro and back on adderall since August of this year. I still have the skips but not as often. I think it was all stress related from 2003. My heart doctor also told me that the lexapro actually has some anti-arythmia properties. He is not the one who put me on this. Another doctor perscribes this and my adderall for ADD.

Sassy1

dixiepeep
12-07-04, 04:06 PM
Well, I had to stop the Wellbutrin because I was so irritable and I cant donate blood because my heart beats too fast. I have a o negative blood and because I have never had some virus that most americans have had (forgot the name of it..sorry..CMV?) my blood goes to newborns which of course is very near and dear to my heart since I am infertile and an adoptive mother of three. So the doc told me to try Lexapro and stick with the Adderall. I hope this works.