View Full Version : Effexor combined with stimulant?

L.L.
07-26-10, 09:38 AM
I am currently on effexor which is helping my short fuse, low frustration, and mood swings. However, I am still hyper, can't focus, forgetful, start a million things at once, etc. From what I understand a stimulant is likely the best treatment for those symptoms. Is that correct?

Has any one here combined effexor with a stimulant? What was your exp?

(adderal is not avail where i live)

hollywood
07-26-10, 10:41 AM
I hear that effexor can make adhd worse? Tenex plus stimulus? Not sure which is more sedating and causes less interference

AlexaN
07-29-10, 12:02 AM
I hear that effexor can make adhd worse? Tenex plus stimulus? Not sure which is more sedating and causes less interference

See my post about this issue:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85730

But I don't want to scare you, it's very individual and it's not a common side effect.
Now I am on 150 mg of Effexor XR and Ritalin and have no problems.

DADHD
07-29-10, 12:05 AM
I take 300mg Effexor XR each morning. I did not have good results with Adderall, but have really good results with Ritalin, up to 60mg/day now.

DADHD
07-29-10, 12:08 AM
Just realized I answered basically the same thing in the other thread.

mezzanine
07-29-10, 12:12 AM
I am currently on effexor which is helping my short fuse, low frustration, and mood swings. However, I am still hyper, can't focus, forgetful, start a million things at once, etc. From what I understand a stimulant is likely the best treatment for those symptoms. Is that correct?

Has any one here combined effexor with a stimulant? What was your exp?

(adderal is not avail where i live)

If you have ADHD and those symptoms are troubling you, a stimulant is the first line treatment (most likely to help you).

Appel
08-10-10, 03:31 PM
Effexor is an uptake inhibitor, and can be mixed with a stimulant. I just started doing something similar with dex and straterra, MD saw no problem with it.

hollywood
08-20-10, 10:07 AM
I have all those symptoms.. Being procrastination, problems focusing on whats important, frustration and I feel restless yet I'm on a stimulant and it does seem to help me focus just doesn't help calm me down.. I've added celexa to help with the impulse control but I'm wondering if tenex or intuniv would be better. It all comes down to which one is going to give me the least amount of problems with sedation and drowsiness and the least cognition interferance.