View Full Version : Things that help?

ahalo
07-14-04, 07:44 PM
I'm new here, new to ADD and all of that. I guess I know that there is no medication or amount of therapy that will turn me into a normal and perfect human being, but if I've settled for what I have now I think anything is progress!

Anyway I was surprised to learn there are different types of ADD. I mean I knew there is ADD and ADHD but that was about it. That was one of the reasons I was hesitant to believe I have it, because I always imagined people with ADHD to behave in a certain way (on a constant caffeine high, bouncing off walls, unable to pay attention even to something that interests them, etc) so I just couldn't believe I would have that. So it turns out maybe not THAT KIND.

But what I wanted to ask is if anyone has similar symptoms as I do, what have you found helps? in terms of meds, therapy plans, etc? Any particular things work better than others?

I have issues with anxiety, as far as feeling bursts of energy and not knowing what to do with them, but I have been lucky enough to not feel depressed much of the time (I would say maybe every few weeks I have a one hour meltdown consisting of hysterical crying before I ask myself WHAT the heck is this accomplishing then I can just stop. So that is my "depression".) I have huge inattention issues as my mind will wander even when I have completely nothing else to be thinking about other than who I'm supposed to be having a conversation with. I talk very quickly and am sometimes hard to understand. I am very easily embarrassed, have never liked working in groups, have to be completely in a certain frame of mind to speak in groups and that only works if I convince myself I know EXACTLY what I'm talking about and won't look stupid, EVERYONE trusts me for some reason like I'm some kind of idiot probably because I will sit there and let someone talk and talk and talk and offer vague maybe generic responses that are supportive, when really I am maybe hearing every three or four words. I have a tendency to either overreact or underreact (the underreacting is always forced, as in I talk myself out of overreacting which is my first instinct nearly all the time). I can be impulsive though I don't put myself at risk and believe it or not I am a good driver. I can be pretty emotional about things again if I am in a certain frame of mind. I am irresponsible with money, have no clue how to relate to people (therefore I have cyclical relationships with friends, most of whom have been in my life since school as I do not even make attempts to make new friends), and I would really love to learn how to small talk. LOL.

Anyone relate to me at all? if so what helps you?? Or am I a lost cause lol even with a diagnosis ??

Thanks!

gabriela
07-15-04, 05:03 AM
"always imagined people with ADHD to behave in a certain way (on a constant caffeine high, bouncing off walls, unable to pay attention even to something that interests them, etc) so I just couldn't believe I would have that. So it turns out maybe not THAT KIND."

yes, there are several types of add.
here's a link to a website with "self-testing" (*lots* of questions to answer!;-) :

http://www.amenclinic.com/ac/addtests/

:D
according to the tests on the above-mentioned website, i have inattentive add and overfocused add...

my doctor here in sweden has given me the diagnosis "adhd and add with asperger syndrome traits".

the asperger syndrome traits make it hard for me to work in groups, make small talk, and i generally get very nervous/uncomfortable around other people. the fast talking you describe - i can *totally* relate to that!!!
:)

i'm also *completely useless* with money...

so, have you spoken to someone "professionally" (i e a psychiatrist) about these things?

if not, you really should!

i have a *wonderful* doctor/psychiatrist, and she's really helped me a lot!

i'm on a medication called concerta (54 mg), and it has worked *wonders* for me!
i'm now able to focus and pay attention, and i'm also learning to plan ahead...
i'm now also able to remain calm (or at least make myself calm down;-) in situations where - before concerta - i used to just start crying and/or just escape the situation by simply leaving...

feel free to send me a pm or an email, if you have any more questions, or simply keep posting here, and we'll all help you on your journey!
:D
welcome aboard!

take care,

gabriela

mctavish23
07-18-04, 11:47 AM
Please learn as much as you can.The forum is an excellent place for that.There is a wealth of information here from amny different points of view. I think you'll find it very helpful

My respectful suggestion is to start out with a couple of "classic" books like....Driven To Distraction ..by Lee Hallowell and......You Mean Im Not Lazy Stupid Or Crazy ? ..............by Kate Kelly & Peg Ramundo.

Good luck.:)