View Full Version : Need help orienting my brain

sparkk51
07-31-10, 11:45 AM
So, about a month ago I saw Inception and realized how hindering my way of thinking can be. Sure with ADD SCT you're not meant to get it as quickly, but it was as if I was just thinking scattered moments and didn't one moment after the other. I think a random scene and connect it to all the other scenes appropriately until eventually I have a giant spider web. Most thinkers (non ADDers) will get the scene and relate it to the scene before and ahead and then do the same thing with the next one. I am not sure if that's correct, that's how I believe they think though. Either way, I realize that that it isn't just working memory that's slow, but that my way of thinking is generally inefficient. I wish to think more linear like. How would I train myself to be more of a left-brain thinker? Thanks!

Btw, I could use a little more than left brain activities if you wouldn't mind, becwue I believe its more than just doing them. I need to learn exactly how to think with common tasks.

meridian
07-31-10, 12:15 PM
I saw Inception the other night. Very trippy movie.

I'm not really sure I get your question, but there are certainly techniques and methods to "re-train your brain".

I can't recommend anything off hand, but there must be some good stuff out there!

sparkk51
07-31-10, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the reply Meridian, and sorry for not elaborating enough as I am using a mobile device. What I wish to utilize more is my left brain processes like linear thinking and analytical skills. I feel as if I depend on my right brain for all tasks. I remember in the 10th grade someone was tryiing to teach me cards and to process what he was describing, I was imagining the layout of the cards and their numbers and suits, while picturing what would need to be placed next according to the cards on the table (in my imagination). I am so much better at learning by visual example and so to adapt my brain was trying to conjure it all. Obviously with all the detail it was very difficult and impractical. From what I understand, visual learning learning is a right brain trait and so I can infer that I use it for most of the things I do. I wish to begin using my left now. :)

http://www.funderstanding.com/content/right-brain-vs-left-brain

meridian
07-31-10, 02:20 PM
It occurs to me that left brain things might include learning some of those math tricks for multiplying any two numbers so look out for math type learning programs perhaps.

sparkk51
07-31-10, 03:17 PM
Yes, I believe right brain thinking Is almost perfect for advanced math, but the only part it fails at are the details; The basic foundations, being adding, multiplying, dividing, and subtracting numbers. The reason I think this is because there are no complex workarounds to getting the answer - 4 4 = 16 and really all you can do is remember that or count 4 8 12 16 (sequential/linear). However, with more advanced and complex math there may be several ways, creative ones at that, to find the answer - finding the shortest path from A to B (spatial). The reason I think ADDers are so great at general mathematics is because not only are most of us considered right brained, but we also tend to learn simple skills very well (basically once we've leard it, its carved in there) allowing all those repetitive arithmetic questions to pay off larger than normal. In short, we've got the best of both worlds.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
07-31-10, 03:57 PM
This is a toughie!

The movie example fit my pattern of thinking and my observations of linear thinkers to a T. I actually prefer movies that aren't linear plot progressions but jump around depending on the subject -- I prefer stories to be told like this, also. When I am watching a movie with a linear plot progression my mind wanders more. I usually come away with a good idea of the movie, I see connections other people didn't see precisely because I'm viewing the movie minute for minute and I am categorizing them within a random (but very much so me) frame work that has nothing to do with step 1, step 2, step 3. For me to really "get" a movie I have to watch it a couple of times, and each time I think less and less about categorizing the new information, and am able to focus on the linear sequence.

This is not just with movies though. It is with anything -- learning new subjects, new concepts, even cleaning. This used to not bother me as much, as I was happy operating like this until I had a severe does of reality of how efficient other people were, evidenced by all the "stuff" they had time for in their lives. I became quite obsessed with trying to remember things in order, to do things in order, etc. That tired me out and I got even more tired and frustrated when I could still see myself stuck behind, never really making progress anywhere because I'm spending too much energy controlling myself.

I feel like a honey bee living in an ants world. I can't imagine a bee following single file to a food source like an ant! I would rather be given a general direction by a waggle dance and sent out to find the UV-lit landing pad of my desire. A certain flower might not be as sure of a bet as a pheromone path laid out to a picnic, but with all that zooming...

I guess what I'm arriving at is...

When does non-linear thinking work for you? When does it not?

When and why do you feel you need to think more linearly? How/When/Why do you get frustrated trying?

meridian
07-31-10, 04:46 PM
The reason I think ADDers are so great at general mathematics )

I always heard that ADD-ers were terrible at math. It's like one of the signs or something.

Me, I scored wicked high in math APTITUDE (99.9%) and wicked low (27%) in math ACHIEVEMENT!

Just BTW, did you have any problem at all following the "layers" or "levels" in "Inception?" I didn't, but I've heard from people who did.

sparkk51
07-31-10, 04:48 PM
Hello Fleisch, glad you're contributing!

You pretty much read my mind, although I highly doubt I tried to think in the linear manner as forcingly and as long as you had tried. Probably about a day for me. I don't think I can really say when I prefer to be non-linear due to the fact that when I am brilliantly so, I don't have the means to get it done right exactly. For example, I used to be very enthusiastic in a PC sandbox game called Garrysmod and would picture fantastic contraptions to build with an abstract way of wiring it to function. The issue is when I proceed with the wiring phase I can't figure out exactly how to start and keep up further through. As I frequently create chips with so many inputs and outputs, I lose track with what chip sent what signal where, and so constantly have to work my way back from the virst chip in order to remember. If I can train my linear thinking, perhaps I can keep track of where I am leading while maintaining what chip was just befe and its output.

As for why, I'll be honest, I am feeling the competitiveness. After I moved from Norway (born in the US, dad works overseas) to the US, things were pretty rough. I had extreme anxiety, still do, and was missing school because of it. After going to several Psychologists and Psychiatrists, I was diagnosed with ADD (so no hyperactivity), for a while I just accepted it and didn't really care too much. After junior high, going to school didn't bother me as badly but my grades began to slip. Dropping out of a class my only friend was in was embarresing, seeing my brother going to parties while I sat a lone at home was depressing, and my terrible grades were making me doubt a nice future. I was living in hell, and could only think of suicide as a way out, but I loved my parents too much to do that, aswell as didn't want to damage my brothers' lives (my younger brother has severe ADD). So, its been a few years now and the depression has mostly morphed itself into bitterness and empathy. Bitterness at the fact that my brother does so well, because he wasn't born with a "disorder", and empathy for those who are impaired like me. I am more motivated to help myself as best I can than to set any other goals. Improving my mind Is my one goal.

sparkk51
07-31-10, 05:08 PM
Sorry for that long last post and its unexpected answer :o

Meridian, what exactly do you mean by understanding the levels? I understood that each level has more time than the one before and other simple rules. What I had a hard time with was keeping up with why something was happening, not just understanding it. I understood all the scenes after leaving the theaters just not as smoothly as my brother did simultaneously watching the film. Basically, I had a massive headache putting all the strings together quick enough to keep up.

sparkk51
07-31-10, 05:39 PM
What I have also noticed is that left brain thinkers tend to sucumb to their emotions a lot easier, but also tend to let them go a lot sooner. As an example, my dad once bad mouthed a worker at a fast food drive through when she told us they were out of a few meals. My brother and I looked at eachother as if we thought he was being pathetic. Then my dad was talking to us casually about a minute later and it was as if my brother shifted moods instantly. He was laughing wiith him as if my dad had done nothing wrong. Yet, I still had as much anger towards him as earlier.

To me it's as if more logical thinkers are always attuned with the moment and don't enjoy staying on a single specific discussion.

Now you can say right brainers have some pretty positive benefits, but in todays society, I would rather be left brained.

sparkk51
08-03-10, 12:19 PM
So, I've been searching around the web and have found a pretty good website for training your brain.

The site is www.cognitivefun.net (http://www.cognitivefun.net)

There are lots of games sorted in different categories such as Attention or Memory.

All these games have scores and are posted on a constantly changing scoreboard. I've seen some pretty impressive scores on the 8-back test, which still amazes me.